1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

looking to buy a 1952 ford i have questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 06:51 PM
newtib
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking to buy a 1952 ford i have questions

i been looking around this site for some advice but this is a very messy forum ha so i figured i would just ask. i live in mn and i recently found a 1952 ford with the straight six and three on the tree with 90k original miles, no rust on the body and only a little on the springs and such. there is no carpet in the inside. All the lights work, it also runs and drives fine. I'm sure there is very many upgrades i can do and parts i can place. it needs new paint and rims and new wood in the box. he is asking around 4500. I been seeing alot more finished ones with v8's go for around 5k.
my questions
what should i offer.
how much are the basic upgrades for this truck example new carpet, engine upgrades, just the basics that everyone does to the truck?
where is a reliable place to get parts for a good value?
any other thoughts please let me know i'm going for a second look at it tomorrow the more information the better.
thanks in advance steve
i also have a picture of it but can't find the attach button

Old 10-18-2011, 07:00 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 255 Likes on 159 Posts
An original unmolested low mileage 1952 F-1? that had rust free cab and sheetmetal and drove good would be in my garage at that price. Of course I would go there with what he is asking and pull out less to start but the truck would go home with me.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:07 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 614 Likes on 381 Posts
A Minnesota truck with no rust would be unusual. Are you sure it isn't bondo'd?

Nothing wrong with the 6's except that there is a lot less parts support for them. They were good running engines and really just as strong as the 8's.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:29 PM
newtib
New User
ya he had the shop fill in some metal i know i talked to him for awhile he has a 62 he wants to finish and need the cash. Personally i like the style and rarety (<-- i don't think that is a word ha) of the 52. adventually I would replace with a new fuel injected six or 440 just to have some ***** under the hood ha. So how do i upload a pic so you guys can see it?

Old 10-18-2011, 11:34 PM
newtib
New User
nevermind i figured it out

Old 10-18-2011, 11:36 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
A Minnesota truck with no rust would be unusual. Are you sure it isn't bondo'd?

Nothing wrong with the 6's except that there is a lot less parts support for them. They were good running engines and really just as strong as the 8's.
Actually, Ross, the engine is supported just as much as the V8 flattie. I can get parts for the engine locally, as well as all of the major repro parts warehouses. Don't forget that some parts from a 223 engine can be used on the 215.

I agree. If the truck is unmolested and original with 90k miles, $4500 is a great price. The attach picture is a yellow square with the mountain inside. You'll need to host the picture online, like photobucket, etc., and copy/paste the link in the yellow box as described.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:41 PM
newtib
New User
ya i tried it wouldn't post in a reply there is a picture in my garage. I think i might offer his 3,000$ since this one is done and pretty local for 5,000 1952 Ford 1/2 ton Pickup

Old 10-18-2011, 11:45 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If I had a choice between the V8 and the I6, I'd choose the V8. Only because they're popular. The red 52 is also a good deal. It's a 5 star deluxe cab. However, something is going on with the center hood trim on that truck.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:47 AM
newtib
New User
i'm confused about the "Only because they're popular" part of that post. and the problems with the red one are 1) it is red 2) out of my price range. but maybe i should just save up some because it will probably be alot cheaper in the long run and alot less work

Old 10-19-2011, 06:17 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 783 Likes on 383 Posts
I can't see the picture for some reason, but be sure to think it over before you say the second one is out of your price range.
On the first one you mentioned paint, rims, carpet, and new bed wood. If you bay $3000 for that truck, by the time you get those 4 items done you will be well over $5000

By the way, welcome to FTE! The guys on here can save you lots of time and money working on these projects.

Here is some good reading before you make a final decision.
Trials Of A First Time Builder .: Articles

WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A CLASSIC FORD TRUCK: Part 1 .: Articles

Old 10-19-2011, 11:28 AM
wilsel
Senior User
If my wife would let me I would go get that red one for $5K right now!

It's worth it to buy one complete as you can. Adding/replacing parts adds up quick, and you'll soon have more into it than it's worth.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:15 PM
newtib
New User
I thought about that last night when i was thinking it over. carpet 5-700$, new engine and trans 700-1000 plus alot of work, new bed wood easily 150$ and alot of work ect ect. i emailed on the red one haven't heard anything yet. I spoke with the guy that has the black one and said 'i found one mostly complete for 5 and others for around 6, also that his needed paint, carpet blah blah blah. He would have to come down alot on his price for me to consider it." he told me the lowest he will go is 3800 and i decided to pass. if he still has it in a month or two maybe i will offer his 3000. but as you guys said and over what i thought i'm looking at minimum of 3500 in upgrades just to make close to show quality.
things i would be looking into different engines whether a new fuel injected v6 or a old v8, new steering wheel, carpet, lighting, stereo, paint, wood, decals, chrome dipping ectect so unless i can get that black one cheaper i'm going to wait to find a more complete one

Old 10-19-2011, 10:24 PM
Tyler S
Elder User

I spent 4500 for my 51 about a month ago. It has a 351W than runs but has issues. It has a FMX transmission that has lots of issues too. Mine has a little body rust, but not much. It is pretty rust free other than surface stuff. The interior is kind of a mess. I think I over paid, but the body is in good shape and I am glad to have it. I have a long way to go tho. There used to be a link at the very beginning of this forum that took you to a long article about what to look for and how to buy an old Ford. I'll see if I can find it.

Good luck! and welcome to FTE!

Old 10-19-2011, 11:11 PM
newtib
New User
hmm after reading the what to look for article i'm second guessing my choice not to buy it. Honestly it has 90000 origanal miles, hardly no rust, all parts are there from what i saw (minus radio and carpet) just needed some tlc and new parts... i guess i will wait it out and see if he still has it in a month or so

Old 10-19-2011, 11:48 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Newtib,
$3,800 isn't a bad price for one of these old trucks - it differs by region I'm sure but that seems to be fair. I paid $6,500 or so for our 1950 F1 & it had a lot of faults - brakes, suspension, rust, etc.. If you are really sure the cab is rust free - I'd say that was the most expensive work we had to do on our truck. The mechanical stuff like replacing engines, trans, rear suspension, etc. can be pretty straight forward if you are ok with scouring salvage yards for parts..

Our 1950 F1 Pic below for comparison - a nice shiny paint job hides a lot of problems. Double check that cab - look underneath it for holes in the floor & serious rust in the cab corners.

Ben in Austin

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: looking to buy a 1952 ford i have questions