Sponsored by:

Starter Problems.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 04:38 PM
Edward_U
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Starter Problems.

I've utilized the search function and have seen a couple similar problems to mine but not exact so I need your help.

Up until this morning my 1996 Bronco ran great. I jumped in to it and went to start it up and all I got was a loud click (engine didn't even try to crank). I originally thought the battery might have died but all the accessories were on before I tried to turn the engine (they went out as soon as I tried to start up the truck). So just to cover that I went to WalMart and bought the Everstart battery, threw it in there and still have the problem.

Checked to see if I could hear the fuel priming and it does so I know it's not the fuel pump, checked the inertia switch (I was hoping this might be the problem but I already knew it wouldn't be since the fuel pump was priming.).

I need to fix this as soon as possible so if you all could give me your input and the prices of some of the items I might need to replace it would help out ALOT.

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-18-2011, 05:27 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Check the solenoid on the passenger inner fender. You should have battery voltage across one big terminal and the frame of the truck ("ground" as most folks refer to it). When the key is turned to the START position you should have battery voltage between EITHER of the large terminals and negative ("ground"). If not, the solenoid is suspect. Make sure it has a solid mount to the metal of the inner fender as this is it's negative connection.

One or two other options to consider in the event the solenoid checks out...

Is the shift lever loose? Is its movement sloppy? If so, tighten up the linkage as this will often cause the MLPS (Manual Lever Position Sensor) to not fully engage and the computer will not allow the engine to crank unless it "knows" the transmission is in a non-moving gear (neutral or park).

The starters on the late model Broncos/F-series have a secondary solenoid ON the starter with a red trigger wire that attaches to the solenoid via a female 1/4" spade terminal. This terminal is (for some reason unknown to anyone with any electrical insight) UN-INSULATED. This is obviously a a problem since the connection exists on the side of the starter and is exposed to all of the road crud that the front wheels can splash up at it. This terminal is susceptible to corrosion and failure. Replace it with an insulated female spade connector or clean the connection thoroughly and insulate it with dielectric grease or suitable sealer.

These are all potential causes for your issue.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:13 PM
Edward_U
New User
Actually the shift lever is pretty sloppy now that you mention it. How would I gain access to it to tighten the linkage? I'm going to head outside to check the solenoid right now with my handy dandy multi and see if I get continuity through the wires and across the terminal to ground. Doesn't sound like any of those fixes should cost more than $10 and about 30 mins.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:26 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Even the bendix in the starter could be worn (as another possibility), but my money is on the starter solenoid, it's the cilindrical black part in the fender, near the battery, it has two threaded terminals with a bunch of wires attached, make a bridge between them using a screwdriver and if the engine turns, you have your culprit.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:40 PM
Edward_U
New User
Just tried the bypass of the starter solenoid, no joy. One thing I did notice is that after I turn my key from off to Acc (first click when turning the key), the key can slide out of the ignition and I can attempt to turn without even having the key in however once it returned to off, I can not turn it back to acc until I use the key.

Starter solenoid is working like it is supposed to, engine just doesn't crank. The only sound I hear is the single "click" from the starter solenoid.

Any other ideas? Any specific wires I should shoot to see if they are reading a high resistance or completely open?

I still have not tightened the linkage between my shifter nor have I checked the secondary solenoid because I do not know how to drop the steering column to get to those components.

Any more help is appreciated. Thanks!

Old 10-18-2011, 10:18 PM
Edward_U
New User
Any ideas guys? Please?

Old 10-18-2011, 10:30 PM
AzPete
Posting Guru
If you get a click.....it has nothing to do with fuel.....it is strictly elec. issues. I doubt it would be the shifter either.

Bad fuel pump still lets the engine crank....but no start.

Shifter problem should stop even the solenoid from clicking as it kills the entire start system.

When the solenoid clicks, it should provide power to the starter itself. If no power is at the starter at this time, then it is a bad solenoid. If there is power at the starter when the solenoid clicks, then it is a bad or hung up starter.

I would bet on a bad starter......

Simple teat....look for 12 volts or so at the large cable on the starter when someone turns the key to start.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:44 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Lol what you described actually sounds like your key switch is messed up, you should check that.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:29 AM
Boss351Bronco88
Senior User
Have you checked all of your grounds and batt cables? Both my Bronco and my F250 had similar problem. The cables on my trucks were in rough shape, especially my grounds. It have power until i went to start, but all I get was a click and the power would cut out. but as soon as i let off the key, Id have power again. I would have to play with the cables abit. Replaced them and never had a problem since.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:14 AM
Edward_U
New User
I'm guessing it is more than likely the cables. If it was the key switch that was the problem the starter solenoid wouldn't click. If not the cables it could be anything after the starter solenoid (electrically speaking). What are the components to check after the starter solenoid?