6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Fuel Sources - Brands/ Quality - HPFP spin off

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 10:05 AM
DrewF
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Sources - Brands/ Quality - HPFP spin off

So what is considered good and bad fuel sources, considering (at least around here) there are only three fuel processors to buy from. They all get their fuel from the same set of pipelines, even the mom and pops.

Do these fuel suppliers filter/process the fuel again once it gets here? Or only add additives. Or is it more about their fuel delivery setup (tank conditions, pump conditions, if they keep their underground tanks full or not.

My choices for fuel are below in order of priority.

Kroger - large grocery chain.
Sam's Club (similar to costco fuel)
Marathon - independent station
BP - independent station.

From a pricing perspective, they are all within a few cents of each other...with the exception that Kroger has a discount card offering .10 off each gallon for every $100 you spend in a month. (limited to 35 gallons)

Old 10-17-2011, 10:20 AM
TxFordGuy1
Senior User
I get mine 99% of the time from what looks to be a high volume Valero, as it is usually packed with work trucks. Although, prices are usually fairly close between stations in my area, I don't really factor in the price with worries of a lessor quality fuel out there (of course I don't know that this fuel is any better). I add the Motorcraft additive as well.

I have always assumed that companies like Valero, BP, Exxon, Chevron, etc... used their own fuel supplies/refining as they are in the business in one form or another, however, I guess it just depends on the refinery locations and or other storage facilities. As for other chains and mom & pops, I figure they go after the best price supply they can get. So the storage conditions of diesel between the refinery and pump could be an issue.

Mark

Old 10-17-2011, 04:16 PM
Hdslider
Postmaster
I use a shell truck stop that moves a ton of fuel. But i know for a fact there are many mom and pop stores that get the same truck deliver there fuel as there close to the shell truck stops. I dont use them because i have asked how much fuel do yall move in a month,and it is not very much.its sad i cant support a local mom and pop. but they have no filtration or anything but staight from there tank to the pump and dont move much fuel. So again the big company wins again.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:11 PM
jack_pine
Elder User

Everyone talks about high volume stations. I am 30 miles from the interstate and don't really have any high volume stations by me. Some may do more than others but not a high volume.

Sucks if will have to drive 40 minutes just to fill up. I get it from mom and pops for the 6.0 now.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:28 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
this came out 10/13/2011

Article 10-B-2011
6.7L Powerstroke Diesel Engine Fuel Contamination
2011 F-Super Duty

A review of warranty claims and returned parts has found that some dealers have replaced 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel Engine fuel system components (including the High Pressure fuel injection pump and fuel injectors) due to damage caused by contaminated fuel. The most common sources of contaminated fuel are:
•Auxiliary vehicle mounted tanks
•Local storage tanks
•Other infrequently used fuel sources
•Refueling errors (i.e. Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) or Gasoline introduced into the fuel tank)

The 6.7L Diesel Fuel System Contamination Diagnosis and Service Procedure Job Aid (Revised September 2011) provides diagnostic and service procedures to determine if fuel system contamination is present.

Category: Powertrain / Diesel Engine
Do: Follow 6.7L Diesel Fuel System Contamination Diagnosis and Service Procedure Job Aid procedures if fuel system contamination is suspect before replacing fuel system components.
Don't: Replace fuel system components under warranty for damage caused by fuel contamination or improper fluids.

These Notices are in accordance with the Company's warranty and policy requirements. It highlights repairs or operations that are often improperly completed or claimed. We ask that you take immediate steps to make certain that your dealership follows the recommendations included in the attached document. Doing so will help your dealership avoid unnecessary repair procedures, improper labor operations, or improper claim preparation practices that may result in the claim being returned unpaid.
HOW CAN I ACCESS WANs and SEARCH PREVIOUSLY PUBLISHED WANs?
Warranty Action Notices (WANs) are issued on the second Thursday of each month: •WANs are published to FMCDealer.com and featured in the 'Message Center' area for several days following each release
There are 2 ways to search previously published WAN articles: 1.Warranty Action Notice Index ◦From the FMCDealer.com home page click Warranty Action Notices on the right side under My Top Spots or under Important Warranty Information on the Warranty tab
◦An index for each category is provided

2.Warranty Search
◦From the FMCDealer.com home page, click on the Warranty tab
◦Warranty search is available on the right side of the page directly above Important Warranty Information

Old 10-17-2011, 06:32 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
For local, I consider Shell and Chevron good fuel but only you'll know what stations to visit based on their customer traffic in your area.
My Shell station might be busier than your Shell station, for example.

Originally Posted by jack_pine
Everyone talks about high volume stations. I am 30 miles from the interstate and don't really have any high volume stations by me. Some may do more than others but not a high volume.

Sucks if will have to drive 40 minutes just to fill up. I get it from mom and pops for the 6.0 now.
I'm an hour drive from an interstate, too.

I consider mom and pop stations with 4 or fewer gas pumps and a diesel pump out back that doesn't appear used much.
My only other option are 6-8 gas pumps with 2 ULSD pumps in a different covered area (for trucks) and maybe 1-2 off-road diesel (plus the third secondary pump so a truck can refuel both tanks at the same time).

Interstate is easy because you can plan your stops plus it's how I avoid the bio diesel stations.

Clean (for a fuel station) also goes a long way with me.
I realize this doesn't mean their tanks are maintained under ground but at least the parking lot, pumps and store are well kept.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:09 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Before I got my 6.4 (previous truck) I asked about fuel where I'm at and the same answer usually came up - the local Speedway truck stop. There's also a Pilot, TA, and if you go to the other side of town another Speedway (not a truck stop though). Unless I am on the road I fill up at the Speedway truck stop.

If I am on the road I like to hit the bigger stations - Pilot, TA, etc. This isn't always possible, though - like my trip back from Texas and my trek up in to Western Ontario. Up in WI and MN you pretty much have to stop where you can find a diesel pump...

Old 10-18-2011, 05:05 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Pilot and Flying J mostly when I am on the road.

Locally at the local Southern States or Sheetz's

Old 10-18-2011, 07:49 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
When I am home, it's 40 miles from an interstate truck stop. I always fill up at the same shell locally owned store. If I ever had a problem, the ford dealer and the owner of the gas station are both friendly with me, been knowing these folks a long time. So I feel like proven bad fuel from this 1 store would be hard to fight, they would have to foot the bill.

On the road, which is most every day, I stop at whichever fuel store has lots of trucks and pay at the pump. I absolutely hate waiting in line twice.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:48 AM
NinerBikes
Senior User
Here on the west coast, I try to fill up at Unocal /Conoco. Fuel is 52 cetane rated, they keep the lubricity at a max of 480 microns, the fuel stinks more than the others which tells me it is high in aromatic percentage allowed, which has proven over the years to give me the best mpg at steady state Interstate driving at 75 to 80 mph.

I consistently get the best fuel mileage on fuel from Utah, Wyoming and Montana, my fuel logs are consistent with this on my trips to Yellowstone.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:31 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
I'm really not sure there is any kind of uniformity across the nation with most brands. I believe most fuel from an area comes from the same source, meaning the fuel sold by one name-brand station in an area is likely the same as the smaller ones in the area, and probably not the same as the other stores this same brand has in other areas.

In short, I don't think there is a way to ensure you get good fuel 100% of the time. That's why I recommend a quality additive!