1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Want to fix up dad's 1952 F5 - advice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 09:46 PM
TheDrivenMan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want to fix up dad's 1952 F5 - advice?

Hello,

There is a 1952 F5 on my dad's farm. It has been sitting for more than 20 years. It is fairly complete but the glass was busted out years ago and there definitely some rust. I'm trying to figure out what parts are available and which ones are not. I'd also appreciate any tips or leads on getting new or used parts for it. I do not think it would be feaseable to make it look like new, but it has a cool patina to it.

I would like to get it back on the road and just go with a rough / rat look.

I need:
Windshield, Back Window, Door Glass
All weather seals
Basic resurection parts for braking, cooling, fuel systems

Does the F5 share any sheetmetal with other models?

Thanks

Robert in TN

Old 10-15-2011, 09:58 PM
youngfordkid
Junior User
Welcome to the forum!

first off, with big trucks its the chassis parts that are only the complicated parts to find, and they are not that hard. all the cabs are the same from the f1 pickups to the large big job f7 and f8. the biggest diffrence between f1s and f5s are the chassis/running gear and the front fender wheel openings, other than that everything is practically the same.

here is some parts resorces which can be found with google:

LMC truck
Macs antique auto parts
National parts depot
Sacramento vintage ford

these are just a few, and your local napa, carquest, and autozone will be your best friend.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:04 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the addiction! You've found the one place that will have any answer you'll need (course I'm not much help, I just like to post a lot, lol)

I can't think of the name, but isn't Mid-fifty running a sister shop for the earlier trucks now? (Hope so, cause they have everything for a 53-56)

Glad you're looking to keep the patina, they are very awesome. Wish mine had a good one, lol. Love to see pictures of it when you get a chance.

52 isn't my year so I can't be too much help, but from my experience: Take PICTURES, and I mean a lot of them before you touch anything. You'd be surprised how incredibly helpful it is to have a picture showing exactly how some little bolt sat before you moved it to do something, and how huge of a pain it is to have to figure it out if you don't have a picture.

Craigslist is a good place to find parts. This forum is a great place as well, you can't post want ads here, but in my experience a short line in your signature saying what part you need does wonders...

Old 10-15-2011, 10:22 PM
TheDrivenMan
New User
thanks for the welcome

I have restored several cars, but the F5 is a whole new ball game for me

Robert

Old 10-16-2011, 06:36 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
I'll add my welcome. Since you say you are new to the bigger old trucks you'll want to also learn about their unique wheel issues. If you have the multi-part type that are today commonly called "widow makers" you'll want to start looking for replacements. Here are some old threads that go into the subject. Stu

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...0-ford-f6.html
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ow-makers.html
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...ml#post5470496
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...xperience.html

Old 10-16-2011, 11:35 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Robert!

The parts on your list are readily available. As mentioned, all of the cab pieces will interchange with the F-1; glass, rubbers, latches, interior trim, etc. I understand many of the large truck chassis parts you may need are available from a place called Joblot.com. I have not dealt with them myself, but others here recommend them a lot. If there's anything in particular you are missing and can't fine, I've been parting out a couple of F-6 trucks and may have something you can use. Feel free to contact me off forum if you need something.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:40 AM
TheDrivenMan
New User
Thanks Again guys,

I'm going after it today - tractor, chain saw, air compressor, etc ...

Robert

Old 10-16-2011, 11:48 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
All the glass is flat, so a shop can make what you need... safety glass that is.

And welcome to FTE!

Old 10-16-2011, 03:10 PM
fifty-two_f1
Fleet Mechanic
I have an original back glass that is nice if you need one. I have a lot of truck parts. Where are you located?

Old 10-16-2011, 03:50 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Robert let me know what part of TN you are in, I'm near Crossville and we have a few other members in other parts of TN. I too have a few extra parts, and if your close I would be more than willing to help. As was previously mentioned, all the glass is flat, I have purchased glass from a local glass shop for half of what the resto outfits want. Classic Haulers in Franklin, IN carries all the regular stuff you need, their prices are fair and Candi will certainly treat you right.
Post some pictures when you can, we all like pictures and it helps us get a better idea what you need.

You can also email me at joe@onpitroad.com

Old 10-16-2011, 08:35 PM
TheDrivenMan
New User
Update from Cookeville, TN

Cut the tree out of the front bumper and the one coming up in the frame between the ramps, put a little air in the tires that needed it, threw off the larger items stored on the bed and gave her a good yank with the tractor. After being drug around for 20 minutes the engine started showing signs that it might break loose, so I pulled the plugs and put a little oil down each hole. After about 75 yards of pulling the truck and popping the clutch the engine turned over.

I may have waited too long to come get her. I'll have a better idea over the next week or so I as have time to see how she'll run. I'm sure there will be stuck rings, etc ..., but I do want to make sure the block is not cracked.

Here's her story as conveyed by my dad: Ex Army (Corps of Engineers?) truck ened up in hands of a gentleman farmer here decades ago. The truck was eventually abandoned on their farm in the 70's. Farmer's brother built a nice house on the farm in the mid 80's and wanted the F5 gone. They presumed it was junk and gave it to my dad to haul it away. He worked on it for a while and drove it home. He rebuilt the brakes, tuned it up, recovered the front seat and may have changed the tires. He used it to haul hay and farm equipment for a few years. Somewhere in the late '80's it was vandalized. It sat unloved and forgotten until today.

I'm not savy enough yet to post my pics to a URL, but I'll e-mail a couple of pics to anyone who sends me there address

Old 10-16-2011, 08:44 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDrivenMan
Update from Cookeville, TN

Cut the tree out of the front bumper and the one coming up in the frame between the ramps, put a little air in the tires that needed it, threw off the larger items stored on the bed and gave her a good yank with the tractor. After being drug around for 20 minutes the engine started showing signs that it might break loose, so I pulled the plugs and put a little oil down each hole. After about 75 yards of pulling the truck and popping the clutch the engine turned over.

I may have waited too long to come get her. I'll have a better idea over the next week or so I as have time to see how she'll run. I'm sure there will be stuck rings, etc ..., but I do want to make sure the block is not cracked.

Here's her story as conveyed by my dad: Ex Army (Corps of Engineers?) truck ened up in hands of a gentleman farmer here decades ago. The truck was eventually abandoned on their farm in the 70's. Farmer's brother built a nice house on the farm in the mid 80's and wanted the F5 gone. They presumed it was junk and gave it to my dad to haul it away. He worked on it for a while and drove it home. He rebuilt the brakes, tuned it up, recovered the front seat and may have changed the tires. He used it to haul hay and farm equipment for a few years. Somewhere in the late '80's it was vandalized. It sat unloved and forgotten until today.

I'm not savy enough yet to post my pics to a URL, but I'll e-mail a couple of pics to anyone who sends me there address
email me .....

Old 10-16-2011, 09:00 PM
TheDrivenMan
New User
Originally Posted by fifty-two_f1
I have an original back glass that is nice if you need one. I have a lot of truck parts. Where are you located?
Next week I will have a better idea where I stand with the F5, and then I will definitely be posting / PM 'ing my parts needs.

I am in Cookeville, TN.
* 1 hour East of Nashville
* 1.5 hours North of Chattanooga
* 1 hour West of Nashville

Old 10-16-2011, 09:54 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Welcome to FTE! Were we love them old truck, but need pics...

Old 10-17-2011, 09:00 AM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Welcome to FTE from another Big F-6 Truck lover, and pretty much any thing else Ford!

Josh

Quick Reply: Want to fix up dad's 1952 F5 - advice?