6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

PM-22-A Motorcraft Cetane Booster/Additive

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 08:08 PM
Mud_Man_Dude
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried a 20 ounce bottle from my dealer ($9 with tax) and have already bested my best mpg per tank by .5 mpg. I have over 34k miles. I wanted to buy a gallon of PM-22-Gal, but had to settle for 8 twenty ounce bottles. With shipping I paid $71.27 from your link. That should last me over 16,000 miles, 4 months and add 7 cents per gallon of fuel. I may try every other tank treatments.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:22 PM
Fontana
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just bought a single bottle as it was they last one at my dealer. I noticed 20 mpg why and 18 city. Comes out to be about 1 to 2 increase in mpg. Probably worth it in the long run. It's kinda hard to put 4 oz in. It comes out fast.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:30 AM
p12483
Senior User
Does anyone know of any tests showing how well fords additive stacks up against others like PS with the slick diesel. I can't find anything showing what you actually get cetane wise and lubricity wise with PM 22. I was thinking of trying some PS just to compare.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:48 AM
_red rocket_
Senior User
Originally Posted by p12483
Does anyone know of any tests showing how well fords additive stacks up against others like PS with the slick diesel. I can't find anything showing what you actually get cetane wise and lubricity wise with PM 22. I was thinking of trying some PS just to compare.
It seems the reason for all of the talk specifically using the Motorcraft brand is because of Rick's recent warranty/non-warranty fiasco. If Ford recommends using their brand Cetane booster and one has a HPFP problem, a stack of receipts for their recommended product will hopefully better your cause for a proper HPFP warranty repair.

But using a non-recommended brand and faced with a HPFP warranty repair, will a non-recommended brand be considered better, OK or worse than not using a Cetane booster? Only Ford warranty bean counters can tell you that.

I'd rather not take a chance myself.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:06 AM
p12483
Senior User
Originally Posted by _red rocket_
It seems the reason for all of the talk specifically using the Motorcraft brand is because of Rick's recent warranty/non-warranty fiasco. If Ford recommends using their brand Cetane booster and one has a HPFP problem, a stack of receipts for their recommended product will hopefully better your cause for a proper HPFP warranty repair.

But using a non-recommended brand and faced with a HPFP warranty repair, will a non-recommended brand be considered better, OK or worse than not using a Cetane booster? Only Ford warranty bean counters can tell you that.

I'd rather not take a chance myself.
I agree about using their products, but based on the description of how Rick was treated I cannot see Ford going ohhhh you have been using our product, well we will certainly cover your failure. I don't see them giving better treatment just for using their product, just they won't be able to blame it on someone elses. Frankly I could care less.. because after a week they would be dealing with my attorney and a Lemon Law issue. I would rather use the best product for longevity, as I anticipate not having a failure and if PS is 10 times better and the same price I would rather use something that works... not just buy a bottle cause its made by the same people who make the truck.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:29 AM
_red rocket_
Senior User
What I find as a kick-in-the-nutz concerning everyone running scared making sure adequate steps are being taken to cover themselves...

We offer you this unbelievable truck with a new in-house engineered diesel engine that contains state-of-the-art technology for an unbelievable price.

But wait...for an extra $10/month, we also will allow you to possibly maintain your warranty on your new vehicle with our high margin Cetane booster that has been tested to be just good enough to counter the horrible fuel quality available to you, the consumer.

Of course, in jest...or is it?

Old 10-18-2011, 12:25 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Couple of thoughts here.

First of all, contaminated fuel is contaminated fuel. There is NOTHING you will put in your tank that will assuredly help with this problem. If Ford denies a warranty claim for this, it will most likely be because of contaminated fuel, not low lubricity. I have never heard of them testing for proper lubricity, and I find it likely that some of these denied claims were because of superficial corrosion which led to the denied claim where the root cause was insufficient lubricity.

Ford will not give a crap if you use their additive when they deny a claim for contaminated fuel. Contaminated means contaminated, not untreated.

So an additive will not protect you from a warranty standpoint unless they deny it for low lubricity, which I've never seen. I do believe that it will significantly reduce the risk of failure though, and if you happen to have some superficial corrosion on your pump it would save you thou$ands by keeping your pump and system alive. That's why I used it.

Use the Motorcraft because you believe it's the best. NOT because it will help you in the event of a warranty denial.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:58 PM
doczenith1
More Turbo
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
It is out of stock and never coming back in stock. I spoke with them and they were having too many issues with damage during shipping.

I get the stuff at my dealer in the gallon container. Since it's hard to pour from the gallon container I've switched it over to used vodka bottles for easy pouring.

Also note that I've heard that using the water bottles is a bad idea because they contain some sort of coating that may come off and pollute the additive so I will be drinking more frappuccino

I keep a spare bottle in the seat pocket behind my seat and have not had any issues with leakage.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:51 AM
CA-F250
Junior User
How much cetane if 1/4 tank full.?

So how much cetane do you add if you fill up truck with 1/4 tank left. I would normally add 4oz for each fill up if it were close to empty. Just thinking out loud.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:05 AM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You would use 3.5 oz's for adding 3/4 tank of fuel. 1 gallon of PM22 treats 1,000 gallons of fuel, that comes to .128 PM per gallon of fuel.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:23 AM
cford716
Elder User
I just keep my old bottles and fill one to the 4 oz. line and another to about 2 oz., covers me if I am filling the tank or its about half tank.

I think someone already asked this, is there anywhere that compares the different brands? What makes some think Power Service is so much better than Motorcraft? I will use whatever is best, but I would like something better than just an advertisement telling me that.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:39 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by cford716
I think someone already asked this, is there anywhere that compares the different brands? What makes some think Power Service is so much better than Motorcraft? I will use whatever is best, but I would like something better than just an advertisement telling me that.
This is an older study from 2007 but it still has some good information.

http://www.johnfjensen.com/Diesel_fu...itive_test.pdf

Old 10-29-2011, 12:43 PM
cford716
Elder User
Originally Posted by powerstroke72
This is an older study from 2007 but it still has some good information.

http://www.johnfjensen.com/Diesel_fu...itive_test.pdf
Thanks

Has anyone been using Opti-Lube or Schaeffer? They seem to be some of the best in the study.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:01 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
I haven't. In this truck, I've used nothing but the Motorcraft additive. In my '05, I used Diesel Kleen on every tank.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:02 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
I use the Opti-Lube. Not only because it was one of the better products in the 2007 study, But it is produced about 70 miles from my home. Like to support local business if they have a competitive product.

I buy it in the Gallon jugs and it comes with a despensing squirt pump.

Quick Reply: PM-22-A Motorcraft Cetane Booster/Additive