2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hurricane Ravaged F150 Redefines Built Ford Tough

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 04:13 PM
sum_weirdo
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lhedrick
You won't find an ecoboost motor in any real work trucks.
Depends what you mean by real work trucks. If a guy tows front-end loaders for a living then he probably won't get the Eco Boost. If he's just hauling his tools to a construction site then why wouldn't he? Plenty of power when you need it and a fuel bill that doesn't bitch slap you every week. Plenty of people love Eco Boost trucks.

I do know that Ford is running their 3 or 3.5 diesels overseas. Why they aren't here I don't know for sure but it may just be cultural. Ford Fiestas may be a hit with the neo-hippies but I think traditionally working Joes in North America want a big bullet proof engine. Underpowered weenie trucks are the reason no one liked Toyotas 10 years ago and that's the reason Toyota doesn't do that anymore.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:28 PM
Rods & Relics
New User
Originally Posted by sum_weirdo
Depends what you mean by real work trucks. If a guy tows front-end loaders for a living then he probably won't get the Eco Boost. If he's just hauling his tools to a construction site then why wouldn't he? Plenty of power when you need it and a fuel bill that doesn't bitch slap you every week. Plenty of people love Eco Boost trucks.

I do know that Ford is running their 3 or 3.5 diesels overseas. Why they aren't here I don't know for sure but it may just be cultural. Ford Fiestas may be a hit with the neo-hippies but I think traditionally working Joes in North America want a big bullet proof engine. Underpowered weenie trucks are the reason no one liked Toyotas 10 years ago and that's the reason Toyota doesn't do that anymore.
Gotta agree with that comment.
But here in Australia, we have only in the last few years been able to get trucks (Pickups as they are called here) with some "real" power"
considering we are a large-ish country & hard working bunch of blokes, I could never work this out. Part of it has been the laws (legal towing etc)
Though the Hiluxs here we have worked them big time & many have survived.

Now back to that truck!!
I would also say there is a chance that truck (as it's sitting on top of the pile of debri) probably also went over, even a few times to end up there.
I can see that the front hasn't much damage, but I bet it wasn't place on top of the pile gently.
It was something good to see out of a disaster, so a possitive in my books.
NOW, I want to see it followed through & someone can rebuild it, just cause they CAN

Old 10-11-2011, 04:32 PM
sum_weirdo
Tuned
EDIT: Looks like Rods and Relics noticed while I was typing this

And by the way, don't know if you noticed but the truck was sitting on top of a pile of rubble. The owner obviously didn't park it there so it must've been forcibly moved by the storm.

My point is that kind of torqing across the ground combined with the impacts up top should really have busted up the undercarriage and made it undriveable but it didn't

Old 10-11-2011, 04:48 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lhedrick
So what,
Any truck can do that. So the cab was smashed, that has nothing to do with the engine and driver line. Nothing hit the front end. The hood and engine were untouched, just a dent in the left front fender.

I bet the electric windows don't work any more.

Honesty people, this is cheep marketing and not worth showing.

here is one with a dent in every panel

Several years ago i was in a very bad accident with my 97 150 (F250 light duty 7700) 5.4 4x4 extra cab 200,000 plus miles on her,
hit guard a guard rail at 50 ish at a 45 degree angle with the right front both air bags deployed, then the semi tagged the left rear , sent me in the air roughly 30 ish feet and landed on the roof , and skidded down the highway for about the length of football field ....and yes i did start it and drive it under its own power...

Yes the above video is a testament to how tough these FORD trucks are...

Attached Images   
Old 10-11-2011, 05:05 PM
Mawk
Senior User
Cue the Top Gear Killing a Toyota episode:

Killing a Toyota part 1 - Top Gear - BBC - YouTube (Part 1 of 3)

Old 10-11-2011, 05:17 PM
Kapusta
Cargo Master
Received 1,715 Likes on 642 Posts
The sheet metal on the truck didn't look that tough to me. It looks like it got shredded like a cheap beer can. Trucks used to have single wall beds that could stand up to a good pounding. They started designing them with double walls because you could put a 2X4 through the bed if it only had a single wall.
That truck doesn't look like much after that hurricane.
Here's an OBS that did much better.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:54 PM
sum_weirdo
Tuned
Originally Posted by Kapusta
The sheet metal on the truck didn't look that tough to me. It looks like it got shredded like a cheap beer can. Trucks used to have single wall beds that could stand up to a good pounding. They started designing them with double walls because you could put a 2X4 through the bed if it only had a single wall.
That truck doesn't look like much after that hurricane.
Here's an OBS that did much better.
Keep in mind that's what modern vehicles are designed to do.

Trucks like mine were built like tanks with the idea that I'd be safe behind a mountain of galvanized steel while the Honda Civic I hit gets knocked into next week

Trouble is that besides the Honda driver getting scraped off the highway, the force of the impact would be conducted through all that rigid steel and probably give me back and neck problems.

Modern trucks may look flimsy by comparison but that crumpling sheet metal cushions the impact and you're probably better off for it.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:47 PM
tinman67
Junior User
Ford Tough

That's great video. A 3-1/2 foot round 150' tall tree fell on my 97 and it still starts. Unfortunately the radiator was crushed so it won't go far.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:17 PM
rusbukt
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who says they dont make-um like they used to?

Old 10-11-2011, 08:33 PM
66 SUPERVAN
New User
Originally Posted by Ford-Trucks Editors
Hurricane Ravaged F150 Redefines Built Ford Tough .: Articles

Wow! Does anything bring the "Built Ford Tough" motto to life better than this?
that is true it shows how much punishment these trucks can take

FYI It wasn't a hurricane that damaged this truck, it was a MAJOR FIRE AND SEVERIAL EXPLOSIONS AT A FORD DEALERSHIP IN CANADA heres a link to the atricle on it Ford truck caught in fire still drives - Sympatico.ca Autos and here is another one from canada auto dealer Ford dealer will rebuild after fire : Canadian auto dealer just thought you would like to know

Old 10-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Beerstalker
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pretty impressive.

My favorite is still this one though.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...s-in-iraq.html

Old 10-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Old Ford TRK Guy
New User
Ravaged F150 "Dinged it just a Little"

Reminds me of the Burt Reynolds movie "Gator" where he jumps his 70's Ford off a dirt road onto a garbage barge to escape the law chasing him. When he gets the car to shop the mechanic asks what he did to the car. Gator replies "Dinged it just a little"

Old 10-12-2011, 11:15 AM
Ford-Trucks Editors
Host
Originally Posted by 66 SUPERVAN

FYI It wasn't a hurricane that damaged this truck, it was a MAJOR FIRE AND SEVERIAL EXPLOSIONS AT A FORD DEALERSHIP IN CANADA heres a link to the atricle on it Ford truck caught in fire still drives - Sympatico.ca Autos and here is another one from canada auto dealer Ford dealer will rebuild after fire : Canadian auto dealer just thought you would like to know
much appreciated. thanks for the update. I apologize for the misinformation.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:50 PM
American Thunder
Elder User
I pick up total loss vehicles for a living, and so far I've transported somewhere in the neighborhood of 13,000 totaled cars, trucks and bikes. From my experience, Ford trucks are VERY durable, and will usually start and move on their own power after being wrecked, which makes loading them onto my flatbed that much easier. And yeah, as was mentioned, the sheet metal of modern trucks sure is thinner than it used to be. But high speed vehicle fatalities have also thinned out, and superior modern primers and paints does make that thin metal hold up pretty well against the elements.
I have nothing negative to say about Ford trucks, or the company itself. (no government bailouts!)

Ford For The Win.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:17 AM
American Thunder
Elder User
Speaking of Storms and Fords..

Quick Reply: Hurricane Ravaged F150 Redefines Built Ford Tough