Sponsored by: DP Tuner

power steering pump help.updated and Concluded

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 03:02 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
power steering pump help.updated and Concluded

So last Friday I decided to install a new PS pump. My old pump was starteng to whine a little and it had been run dry twice over the last 200K due to blown HP lines so I figured it would be good PM to throw in a new one.

I first purchase a reman Dorman pump from Oreillys, it lasted all of five miles but was incredibly quite and the steering was as smooth and easy as I have ever felt it....then it quit pumping. When I spun it by hand off the motor it had no fluid output.....they took it back no question's asked (makes you wonder)

I figured I would avoid the parts store for the second pump so I purchased a remaned Motorcraft from the dealership on saturday. They didn't have/cant get new pumps but I figured reman Motorcraft is still OEM so alright.

Installed the Motorcraft pump saturday after noon, filled it with fresh mobil one syn ATF and proceeded to perform a complete fluid flush and fill. I bled the system with the front wheels off the ground, turning the wheel adn applying the brakes. I flushed the system until the fluid was nice and red.

At this point it was still making noise (enough to be embarrassing) but I figured it would burp the rest of the air in a day or two and the fluid didn't look aerated so I wasn't worried.

Fast forward to Tuesday and I have put over 600 miles on this pump and it is still way to loud, steering is alright and brakes are fine but it is to dang noisy.

So Tuesday night I bust out the mityvac and a rubber stopper and pull a good vacuum on the pump reservoir and proceed to try and bleed any additional air out of the system. Damn thing is still noisy!!! But I figured I have to drive about 500 miles round trip to Medford Wednesday so it should be better by at least the halfway point...

Well here I am 250 miles down the road and the dang thing is way to noisy. It functions fine but the level of whining from the pump is unacceptable, it is loud enough to be embarrassing in parking lots.

So my plan is to dump some lucas power steering additive in it before I head home this afternoon, if it is still noisy when I get home Ford will need to get me another pump.

Any other ideas on how to get rid of this whine? ( the one from the pump not me)

Old 10-05-2011, 03:14 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
FWIW, mine gots 120k with Amsoil syn fluid, and whines like a SOB...the "new" fluid, for me, never fixedthe whine, and i got 15k miles on it.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:57 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

I'll let you know how the Lucas works out, I have heard good things.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:18 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by clem1226
I'll let you know how the Lucas works out, I have heard good things.
I have used BG Power Steering Conditioner, on gassers before, with great results. Their refrigeration oil has quieted down some noisy a/c compressors, too.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Layson
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would just swap out the pump. You got to be an expert at it now!

Drive it to the dealership and let them hear it....

Old 10-05-2011, 08:11 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Layson
I would just swap out the pump. You got to be an expert at it now!

Drive it to the dealership and let them hear it....
I agree also with Layson. You have a warranty, use it.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:17 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
Is there a warranty on a reman from ford?

Old 10-05-2011, 08:43 PM
th67ss
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bulla
Is there a warranty on a reman from ford?
Yes, that's what the parts guy (Ford dealer) told me when I bought mine two weeks ago.

Mine has a little whine in it as well but nothing to nasty?

Old 10-05-2011, 08:49 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
Nice. I just always thought ford didn't have any warranty on anything. Can you school me on some of the covered items.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:33 AM
clem1226
Postmaster

so I did about 250 miles with the Lucas in there and no improvement, it's off to the dealership today for a little warranty. I hope they have another one in stock.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:17 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

finally got around to warrantying the pump so this morning at 8:30AM I went OEM again baby.

Finally....pump number 3 is a winner. It is quite, strong and doesn't leak. I got tired of replacing the Teflon washer on the pump side of the HP hose every time I swapped pumps so I bought a new HP line as well today.

Sequence I went through replacing this pump

1: install new pump in bracket
2: install pully on pump
3: attach bottom and top LP hoses.
4: fill pump with fluid and spin it over slowly by hand until fluid starts to flow out the HP port.
5: attach HP line and spin pump over some more until it stiffens up and and fluid is no longer dropping in the reservoir
6: install belt any thing else you removed and call it a day.

I had the front tires off the ground to bleed the system but I had zero air in the system so it wasn't necessary. After I started the truck cycled the box and worked the brakes the level never dropped and the pump never made a sound.

Hope this helps someone out there in future.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:09 AM
bulla
Cargo Master
Nice! What was the cost of the different pumps?

Old 10-16-2011, 11:40 AM
clem1226
Postmaster

parts store dorman reman was $66ish Ford reman was $121

I couldn't find a "new" pump available, I had made up my mind if I could find one and it was less than $300 I would get it, but no luck there.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:44 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
Oh so the second oem reman did the trick! Good deal.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:57 PM
sand_fiend
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine blew a HP hose about 6 months ago on the road. lucky i only had to walk about a mile to get a hose. I asked the guy as auto zone what fluid it took. I didn't know at the time..

He said just use normal PS fluid. After pulling the inner fender and cooler tube i replaced the line. I guess as i took off the old line, the inner Bigger line adapter has an o-ring on it. i guess it got a small tear in it during the replacement.
filled it up and bleed it out and had a small whine. as i drove it, it went away in about 40 miles. i stopped to get fuel and noticed the small leak. topped it off and back on the road. well the leak got worse and the pump started to whine. pulled over and refilled it in the dark.

got home and went to bed. got up and removed the line and adapter. installed new o-rings. Bled out the system with motorcraft ATF.

I ran three quarts through it. to this day and about 2000 miles i still have a slight whine when turning..

Quick Reply: power steering pump help.updated and Concluded