Indiana Chapter Join Chapter , Leader:

Indiana welcomes Octoberfest and any other reason to BS in October 2011!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 07:30 AM
cbradford
Fleet Owner

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Good morning Indiana.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:40 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Figured I'd give a separate update on the flooring...sorry for the edit...

Originally Posted by GIGGER
Sounds good Joe, gotta love the hardwood & get rid of the carpet.......
Originally Posted by wildstang
Good luck on the floors.
Well an update on the hardwood too...I got home around lunchtime yesterday and got most of what I wanted to accomplish done...I finished the hallway and the hallway closet. I got the hallway closet all trimmed out and any nail holes filled and stained...so that is good.

The way the hallway and guest room are laid out...the guest room doorway off the hallway is at a 45° angle off the hallway...so in order to finish the hallway I had to start the guest room...which is cool...however dealing with door jambs is always a treat to begin with...now throw in a door jamb at 45° angle and it is even more of a treat!...it is important to make sure your "finished" product is under all trim/jamb/etc...so I had pieces with multiple angled cuts on them...those slow you down...

Then in order to "start" in the guest room I had to move the remaining boxes of flooring that I'm storing in there so I could get my tape measure across the room for my reference measurements...

Then when I did start I immediately was met by a rip cut at the bathroom door just behind me and to the left of the guest room doorway...fun all around...

But the GOOD NEWS is that the hallway and hallway closet are done and the hallway closet is all trimmed out. More good news is that I'm into the guest room and short of emptying that room out and pulling the carpet...I'm started in there (which is always the slowest and most important part because you need to make sure you are square in the room)

The only thing I really didn't get done that I wanted to get done was trimming out the hallway...but that should happen next Saturday when I'm home in between two SoCal trips...

I leave tomorrow afternoon for SoCal...I won't get back this week until Friday afternoon and I'll leave again on the following Sunday...I hate back to back trips...but I needed to switch with one of my co-workers that covers the opposite week of me...oh well...the good news there is that Hilton is running a killer promotion this quarter...so I should be able to stock up on "free" stay certificates which we'll use for Spring Break...we're thinking Sanibel or Marco Island Florida...that will feel good after our long Indiana winters!

Joe

Old 10-15-2011, 08:16 AM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,160 Likes on 1,689 Posts
Any pictures Joe, I put bamboo in the 3 bedrooms & the hall a few yrs ago, love it

make sure you get those Hilton certs

Old 10-15-2011, 08:39 AM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts
Have a sensational Saturday Indiana. Good luck with the smoking Joe.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:50 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Originally Posted by GIGGER
Any pictures Joe, I put bamboo in the 3 bedrooms & the hall a few yrs ago, love it
Here's the hallway just a couple of weeks ago when I was working on my youngest daughters room...the hallway flows into her room too...so in order to do her room...I had to do part of the hallway...

Here's some of yesterday's work.

Here's the hallway...you can see the hallway closet on the right top of the picture...the guest room is straight ahead...and you can see how the flooring flows from the hallway into the guest room thru the 45° doorway

This one shows from inside the guest room looking back towards that hallway...you can see the bathroom right after you enter the guest room and you can see the transition thru that 45° doorway

And here is one of just looking into the hallway closet/hallway from the guest room doorway...

and here are the 18 boxes of flooring that I still have...I'll have to move these out of the guest room to complete that room...then I'm thinking I may also do our master bedroom with this flooring too...so...I may have to rip up the floating laminate flooring I put in there a few years ago to put this down...I also may have to buy 1 or 2 more boxes of this flooring to complete that room...we'll see...the floating flooring that I rip up I'll repurpose into the master walk in closet...then the ONLY carpet left in the house will be the basement stairs (our stairs going upstairs is all oak) and the area rugs we have in the house...

Old 10-15-2011, 09:08 AM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Joe that looks great & traditional like its been there forever, I did all the rooms & hallway so it flows into each room & not one seam in the doorway like yours, good for people with allergies too, keep up the good work

Old 10-15-2011, 09:20 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Gigs,

Thanks!

Yeah...downstairs where I had to match up to the breakfast eating area...I had to put a transition piece between the two rooms since I had a previous hand milled transition piece there to mate up to the carpet...I simply used a piece of this flooring at 90° to the flooring and made that transition...that one was a treat since it is at another angle

See this photo...you can see the transition between the two rooms:

However I had no choice there...but to make those joints on the angle...I had to chop cut the piece to the angle first and then route a groove into the end to maintain the tongue and groove edges...time consuming...but it sure comes out nice.

Having the upstairs as a new canvas...I am able to simply flow from one area to the next seamlessly...it makes it much easier.

When I do our master...I'll have to put another 90° transition piece to match up the edges...right at the door threshold...not a big deal...then at the bathroom doorway in the master...I'll do the same transition...but I'll be redoing the master bathroom maybe next year...gonna rip it all out and put in stone or tile...not sure what I'm doing in there yet...she likes travertine so we'll see...it is nice to be able to do your own work because you can buy decent materials and not worry about labor costs!

Also here is a photo of the Ex hauling the flooring from the store...here's 33 of the ~53 boxes I started with...the pile sure is getting smaller!...YIPPEE!!!

I really should be trimming out the hallway while the meat is smoking and before I cut the grass...but I'm just feeling lazy today...is that okay? LOL...

Joe.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:29 AM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Thats OK Joe, I always like to think out a plan before I start something & maybe not get the results I want, cant rush perfection, its the details that count, Gerry

Old 10-15-2011, 12:31 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Gigs,

From one perfectionist to another...I KNOW what you mean! LOL...

Part of why I could NEVER make any real money doing this type of work for a living is I actually CARE how it looks in the end...I would never be happy with a "pro" job...now don't get me wrong...there are lots of awesome installers out there...problem is...I have found the awesome ones are fewer and fewer between...my approach is to make every cut count and sweat the details...sadly too many out there just want to get this job done, collect the $$$ and get onto the next as quick as possible...that' how they make their money...

Joe.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
I totally agree besides why pay some one if you can do it yourself, I enjoy wood work. My Dad was a licensed carpenter up here in Canada & I helped him build our family home on the lake............

Old 10-15-2011, 02:55 PM
cbradford
Fleet Owner

Good afternoon Indiana.

Well got all the scrubs trimmed, cleaned up and unloaded a trailer load of trimmings at the compost center. Picked up the antifreeze to winterize the travel trailer, but thats tomorrows job. So for now time to get a shower and get ready to head to the firehouse for some good food and drinks, cheap also!!! Two bucks for a picture of beer and Yuengling at that!!!!!

Old 10-15-2011, 09:07 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Originally Posted by cbradford
Two bucks for a picture of beer and Yuengling at that!!!!!
I'll only charge you $1 for a PICTURE of beer and a Black and Tan at that!!!

I'll PM you my address to send the $1 too!

Were you drinking BEFORE you typed that?...LOL...

Old 10-16-2011, 05:29 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Good morning Indiana and all of our IN friends!

Well yesterday was a great day...I always love getting together with family and friends and we try and do it frequently for ANY excuse.

The smoked pork turned out fabulous...I smoked one butt and one loin...I had to move the smoker early on because of the wind and an outside electrical outlet issue...but once I got passed that...it was smooth smoking!...they smoked for 5 hours and then I let them cool a tad before going to town with a fork to pull it and shred it. Man was it good...a nice smoke ring on the outer meat. The butt has more fat in the cut so I mixed the rotated in the final pan mixing all the butt and loin together so no one got just one type...now they could have easily picked the lighter or darker meat...

Everyone loved the end product...which if you ask me (but I'm biased...lol)...it hard NOT to love!...we had extra so I think each family got to take some home (by choice too!)...

Every time I smoke something I remember just how EASY it is...well when I do a turkey...it is a 3 day project (and that is once it is thawed too)...I brine the turkey for a day...I like a brine which is a mixture of orange and apple juices plus salt...once the 24 hour brine is done it sits in the fridge on a cookie sheet for another 24 hours to enjoy that brine and then finally the 3rd day is smoking day which with a turkey...can take 6-8 hours (depending on size)...but let me tell you...man is the end product yummy!

Sam's club had a case of Sam Adams Octoberfest for $22...I thought that was a good price...then I had some blue moon and Leinenkugels Classic Amber plus my standby Bud Select...we almost started doing shots...but thankfully the night didn't come to that...haha...Any more with the price of some of the higher end beers being $12 for a 12 pack bottles at the grocery stores (blue moon, Leinenkugels, Sam Adams, Corona, etc)...I have been buying more of that than Bud Select...the Bud Select price is $15-16 for a case these days...occasionally they will run a sale for $14.49 per case of Bud/Miller/Coors...usually around a holiday weekend or something...

Oh yeah...yesterday used my newly fixed mower too...worked like a charm...I'm glad I spent the $60 for the new self propel unit versus $300 on a new mower...my 15 year old mower still performs fine...well now that I replaced the self propel unit!

Well I figured I'd stop in and say good morning to everyone.

Time to go and read the Sunday paper and relax.

Have a great day everyone...I'll be flying later in the day today and don't land in LA until about 11pm east coast time...gonna be a late day.

Talk to everyone later.

Joe.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:22 AM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Good Sunday Morning FTE IN

Old 10-16-2011, 09:34 AM
cbradford
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by X_Hemi_Guy
I'll only charge you $1 for a PICTURE of beer and a Black and Tan at that!!!

I'll PM you my address to send the $1 too!

Were you drinking BEFORE you typed that?...LOL...
I prefer the Lager, Black and Tan is too bitter for my taste!

Have a safe trip to the LEFT COAST Joe!

Quick Reply: Indiana welcomes Octoberfest and any other reason to BS in October 2011!!!