6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2011 F550 Blown enigines

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 08:55 AM
SCORPIO26
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm new here but not to Ford diesel ownership. I'm surpirsed that the 550s are having problems since they are 'detuned' to a lower HP than the 250-350 pickups, supposedly to prevent 'romp and stomp' abuse from killing the engines. Is there an internal difference between the 6.7 in a 550 compared to what is in our 250-350 PUs? I would think that a guy pulling a big camper or boat with a 350 with the 400/800 power would be stressing the engine harder than a 550 pulling a backhoe on a trailer with the lower powered tune in that truck. So why the failures in the 550?
I know a guy who hauls boats commercially with a 2011 F450 and has over 75k on it with zero probs. and he runs that truck hard with some very large boats behind it on cross country hauls. I think the stock tune on the 450 is comparable to the 550.
I am sorry the OP is having problems with his truck and hope Ford stands behind this and makes it right. I am in business too and have three Fords in my small business and I can not accept being 'down' for weeks at a time with a truck problem during a busy time of year.

Let us know the resolution to this problem and how Ford treats you.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Bobmurp1
Senior User
Originally Posted by Kep4
A 7.3 owner hoping for another Ford Diesel engine failure.....

The 6.7 release and first year have been nowhere near as problematic as the 6.0 or 6.4. The 7.3 also had it's share of issues to get worked out. Yes, time will tell, but you'll be wanting a 6.7 at some point when your budget allows.
Not 100 % true, ford has had 4 different diesel engines in there trucks in 8 years. If they start having wide spred problems they may have a different motor in there. I still think they should of keeped the 6.4 and just added Urea to it and they would of had an animal that was very relible! I have a 08 6.4 thats a great running engine, only problem was the radiator. Ford really has me on the fence, I want to replace my 11 mega cab ram that I bought wile ford fixed the 1st year problems with a king ranch that's in and ready for pick up but I'm not feeling good about it. I do like the ram but I'm a ford guy tourn up over this. I have be thinking of taking back my 02 that I gave to the workers and redoing it for me. Just an FYI I'm sure everyone has noticed all the ram tow trucks, township trucks and contractor trucks. Theres a reason ford is losing those sales, they have to step up and stop blaming everyone else.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:10 AM
Bobmurp1
Senior User
Originally Posted by dchamberlain
No, actually the point was ridiculous. Comparing apples to green beans.

When your truck engine dies, you are upset, inconvenienced, and as a business owner will probably lose some money. I agree that sucks.

When your aircraft engine dies, you die.

Big, big difference.

People are trying to make this into some dismal failure of the 6.7L engine, which it is not. Some problems are occurring in F450/550 trucks, but so far no one has really even said how many. Is it a problem? Yes. Is it bad? Yes. Is the 6.7L a catastrophic failure and everyone should switch to Dodge or GM? Not hardly.
There is no track record on the 6.7 to say yes or no on switching to the others but know one knows how many or not will be bad as there is no high mile trucks out there yet. And why are the 450 and 550 going bad, that to me means they can't handle hard work. The average guy buying a 250/350 aren't working them, maybe they pull a 15k trailer to a camp ground but that's not working it. My trucks can run 50 hrs a week pulling trailers, overloading with block, lumber garbage 5 guys and pulling a trailer, in the winter wile snow plowing we put 2 pallets of salt/cal in the bed 5k + or - for those that don't know what a pallet weight is with a 8'6" plow hanging off the front and go out for 40 hrs straigt with out shutting the engine off. Again don't take this the worg way I am a ford guy and think they ar the best trucks out there with the
engine aside. hoping that the 6.7 is fixed and reliable so I can buy one! I'm missing my 02 that my guys have now.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:16 AM
Bobmurp1
Senior User
Originally Posted by shadowSVT
I don't believe the 6.7 Cummins in the F-650's are the same that come in Ram pickups.
Different engine, but has the same displacement.

As for problems with the new Fords, I do feel for you on the 6.0 and the 6.4 - but I do believe that the problems will be worked out on the 6.7 and it will turn out the be the engine that displaces the mighty 7.3 as one of the best ever. I honestly don't think Ford can afford for this to not be remedied.
The b series cummins I the same engine, doesn't matter if it's a pickup are a 650 dump. Hp is the only difference they have more in the pickups.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Bobmurp1
Senior User
Originally Posted by Kep4
I recall posts with quite similar, if not the same, wording in the 6.0 Forum in 2005.

You apparently like Cummins. Have you ever heard of the infamous 'dowel pin failure'? Stuff happens.....
Stuff does happen it's how they deal with the problem, if a cummins, duramax or the good old 7.3 and even the 6.4 had a problem it was more then likle humans on the line that put it together and that's were the problem came from, frustrating if it was yours but far and few between. On the new 6.7 they don't seem to know why they are blowing up or having problems and ford in some cases are thying to pass the buck to the customer. Yous to be they blamed internation!

Old 10-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
These engines are a far cry from most car engines designed for a more limited duty cycle. My 5.0L Mustang has 412 HP bone stock, but this lightweight, high-revving engine obviously isn't designed to produce peak HP for a significant portion of it's service life.

Diesel engines found in HD pickups and heavy trucks are designed for "romp and stomp" use, as towing loads near the capacity limits of the truck will use full power for extended periods of time. This is all part of the design, and is why these trucks are all detuned from their maximum power capability.

The chassis/cab engine versions have numerous mechanical differences, but the base engine architecture is virtually identical. These engines aren't failing because of overuse; they are failing because of component defects.

Originally Posted by bobmurp
There is no track record on the 6.7 to say yes or no on switching to the others but know one knows how many or not will be bad as there is no high mile trucks out there yet. And why are the 450 and 550 going bad, that to me means they can't handle hard work. The average guy buying a 250/350 aren't working them, maybe they pull a 15k trailer to a camp ground but that's not working it. My trucks can run 50 hrs a week pulling trailers, overloading with block, lumber garbage 5 guys and pulling a trailer, in the winter wile snow plowing we put 2 pallets of salt/cal in the bed 5k + or - for those that don't know what a pallet weight is with a 8'6" plow hanging off the front and go out for 40 hrs straigt with out shutting the engine off. Again don't take this the worg way I am a ford guy and think they ar the best trucks out there with the engine aside
I believe you are drawing an incorrect assumption here. You don't think pulling 15,000 lbs on the highway is working an engine, but putting 3-5,000 lbs in the truck is? Hate to break it to you, Bob, but the engine could care less whether the weight is in the truck or behind the truck. We have members here with DRW F350s and F450s that tow 15,000 lbs every day. This is FAR harder on an engine from a duty cycle perspective than your guys simply overloading the chassis with snow plows and pallets of salt.

There are people here that I could name who pull heavy trailers up and down mountains every day; these folks run their trucks at WOT for minutes on end repeatedly throughout the day. The 400 HP version, not the cab/chassis one. And to date I can't remember a single major engine failure seen here on FTE for a 400 HP 6.7L engine. Contrary to your perspective, the 6.0L and 6.4L trucks have never liked being used lightly. In fact relatively light use and not "romp and stomp" use has been blamed for many of the EGR/turbo issues the 6.0L and 6.4L engines have seen.

These engines are meant to be worked and worked hard. This is how they perform best and last the longest. To say that any of the Powerstroke diesels can't handle hard work just isn't right. Some of them can't handle not being worked.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:39 PM
Bobmurp1
Senior User
Originally Posted by Crazy001
These engines are a far cry from most car engines designed for a more limited duty cycle. My 5.0L Mustang has 412 HP bone stock, but this lightweight, high-revving engine obviously isn't designed to produce peak HP for a significant portion of it's service life.

Diesel engines found in HD pickups and heavy trucks are designed for "romp and stomp" use, as towing loads near the capacity limits of the truck will use full power for extended periods of time. This is all part of the design, and is why these trucks are all detuned from their maximum power capability.

The chassis/cab engine versions have numerous mechanical differences, but the base engine architecture is virtually identical. These engines aren't failing because of overuse; they are failing because of component defects.
My smaller enclosed trailer is 18 ft scales in at 9245 LB biggest trailer is 26 ft
scales in at 16800 lbs equipment trailers are 9 and 12 ton trailers and depending on what we put on it the weight changes, skid steer small loader,
backhoe, roller etc and we pull them ever day with the beds loaded and very often overloaded. I do agree that a diesel needs to be worked and that's probable why my 6.4 has been such a great motor for us. With that being said why is the 450 and 550 having more problems then the 250 and 350' that's why I said and or meant to say that I hope this isn't going to be a Problem when this motor is worked and that the average guy with pickup isn't working it. I know some are but I still don't think pulling a trailer for 6 hrs to a Camp
site and then unhooking it for a weekend and then pulling it home and unhooking it then driving an unloaded truck back and fort to work, store is really working your truck.
I still think i am going to pick up the new king ranch I ordered but I am really
2nd guessing my self and really hope I don't have any of these issues. I do think you keep reading me the wrong way, I love ford pickup trucks and I want this new engine to be the best out there. But there track record isn't so good and with the problems being more on the 450/550 I don't think that's good at all.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
I see what you're getting at, Bob, and I guess my point was that the high-output 6.7L engines are still getting worked hard. There are plenty of utility-body chassis/cabs that will never tow a trailer and therefore never even stress the engine. I have not seen any correlation between duty cycle and failure rate on the chassis/cab trucks.

True, the average chassis/cab sees harder use than the average pickup, but by that standard we should also see engine failures in pickups that have seen hard use. At this point I've heard of only one pickup catastrophic failure.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:58 PM
Bobmurp1
Senior User
Originally Posted by Crazy001
I see what you're getting at, Bob, and I guess my point was that the high-output 6.7L engines are still getting worked hard. There are plenty of utility-body chassis/cabs that will never tow a trailer and therefore never even stress the engine. I have not seen any correlation between duty cycle and failure rate on the chassis/cab trucks.

True, the average chassis/cab sees harder use than the average pickup, but by that standard we should also see engine failures in pickups that have seen hard use. At this point I've heard of only one pickup catastrophic failure.
Tom I have my fingers crossed that this engine is good and ford stands behind them and makes it right! The biggest thing that got to me was the guy with the fuel system failure that ford wasn't warranting, not sure how that turned out but that really got to me.

Bob

Old 10-02-2011, 02:28 PM
huntindog
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bobmurp1
Tom I have my fingers crossed that this engine is good and ford stands behind them and makes it right! The biggest thing that got to me was the guy with the fuel system failure that ford wasn't warranting, not sure how that turned out but that really got to me.

Bob
As of now, the truck with the fuel system failure hasn't been fixed. Ford hasn't responded to the owner or the dealership where it now sits.
I believe the truck has been inoperable for 3 weeks now.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:52 PM
flaharleyguy
Senior User
Months ago I posted my 6.7 wasn't ready for prime time and in my opinion the problems many on here have experienced have convinced me the truck did not have sufficient testing and certainly Ford has not supported the dealer techs quickly and properly to address the many issues that have come up like CEL, shifting, DEF pumps, Nox sensors and on. I will get flammed again by some as usual. I would not buy another until they have these issues under control. Good luck wityh your choice whatever it is!

Old 10-02-2011, 03:49 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My little f250 pulls trailers every week ranging from 6k to 12k, in 14 months I have 68,400 miles logged, and the thing is just great. I do have a leaking radiator though, exact same place and manner that the rads leak on the 6.4 engine.

My 6.4 was flawless for 155,000 miles but I got tired of replacing radiators on that motor every 30k miles.

So, I love the truck and drivetrain, the difference between ford and navistar for me is better mpg but same radiator issues.

And, the only reason ford has changed diesel engine designs since the 7.3 has to do with emissions regulations. This point brought up by another poster is extremely clouded in govt regs, navistar/ford relations, and public opinion. No way to get a good debate on this subject.

The isuzu duramax has been the most consistent blueprint in the last 8 years.

Personally, I think Audi and peugot have diesel figured out, just witnessed some amazing turbo diesel performance at the petit le mans yesterday at road Atlanta. Check out the Audi and peugot prototype racers. Wow.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:21 PM
Bobmurp1
Senior User
Originally Posted by ruschejj
My little f250 pulls trailers every week ranging from 6k to 12k, in 14 months I have 68,400 miles logged, and the thing is just great. I do have a leaking radiator though, exact same place and manner that the rads leak on the 6.4 engine.

My 6.4 was flawless for 155,000 miles but I got tired of replacing radiators on that motor every 30k miles.

So, I love the truck and drivetrain, the difference between ford and navistar for me is better mpg but same radiator issues.

And, the only reason ford has changed diesel engine designs since the 7.3 has to do with emissions regulations. This point brought up by another poster is extremely clouded in govt regs, navistar/ford relations, and public opinion. No way to get a good debate on this subject.

The isuzu duramax has been the most consistent blueprint in the last 8 years.

Personally, I think Audi and peugot have diesel figured out, just witnessed some amazing turbo diesel performance at the petit le mans yesterday at road Atlanta. Check out the Audi and peugot prototype racers. Wow.
Cummins has been building the same b block motor for more then 30 years, no change except the fuel delivery.
Not sure if the 7.3 could of been made to meet the EPA bs but I'm sure the 6.4 could of.
Over all I'm sure ford will get it right just tough when your ready to buy and there in th middle of figuring things out.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:26 PM
Bobmurp1
Senior User
Originally Posted by flaharleyguy
Months ago I posted my 6.7 wasn't ready for prime time and in my opinion the problems many on here have experienced have convinced me the truck did not have sufficient testing and certainly Ford has not supported the dealer techs quickly and properly to address the many issues that have come up like CEL, shifting, DEF pumps, Nox sensors and on. I will get flammed again by some as usual. I would not buy another until they have these issues under control. Good luck wityh your choice whatever it is!
Programing doesn't bother me so much it's internal parts that are a problem for me. If I have a cel on and it runs good I can wait for them to figure it out. I'm pretty sure the trans issues are programing, the ford trans are the best out there.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:42 PM
rsyauto
Senior User
I have 33k miles on my 6.7 and no troubles yet...I havent pulled any heavy loads as of yet though

Quick Reply: 2011 F550 Blown enigines