1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nissan Titan over GVW

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 07:31 PM
onedcharette
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Franko72
Funny thing is, when they first started that "new rule" their sign over the counter had a pic of an Explorer pulling a Uhaul trailer. Im not sure if they still have the same sign
But I bet this guy belongs to the Airstream forums...
so i have seen/read about the airstream forums and some of the tow vehicles they use. curiosity killed me so i ventured off and read some of their posts. holy crap. some of those folks are flat out crazy.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:02 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
The Prius has to have at least 1500 lb tow ratings. The trailer on the picture is probably about 600 lb. what is wrong with it?
My father in law owns a prius, and says they aren't rated to tow anything.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:23 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Originally Posted by mongo75
My father in law owns a prius, and says they aren't rated to tow anything.
Went to Prius forum and the right description is "not recommended".
One owner reported towing 1750 lb trailer with Prius and averaging 26-29 mpg at very low speeds.
ISN'T THAT LESS THAN FORD RANGER????????????

Old 09-25-2011, 08:42 PM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 104 Posts
According to the Nissan commercial I just saw, the frontier has a payload capable of holding a large airliner. The front landing gear was broke so a J.O. with his nissan frontier drove in front of the plane and the busted front landing gear rested in the bed and the trusty ole frontier brought it safely to a stop.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:16 PM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by kd0axs
U-Haul won't allow any of their trailers to be towed by an Explorer. It has to do with that whole tire recall thing like 10 years ago. Last I checked, they would still tell you to take a hike if you were driving an Explorer, even a brand new one.
Weird, I didn't even think of that, and yeah, this was a fairly new one.

Originally Posted by Hybris
You would be right the 6x12 is about 2000lbs empty, I think I have seen a few that are closer to 1890 but still more or less a ton.
I was trying to plan my move back to az at one point, and had a cherokee I was thinking about keeping... turns out they won't let the 6x12 trailer be pulled by that either, they go by gvw; they would however let me pull that with the marauder though

Old 09-25-2011, 10:02 PM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I just went to U-Haul's site and put in a 2011 Explorer and this is what it said:

Originally Posted by U-Haul
U-Haul has chosen not to rent behind this tow vehicle based on our history of excessive costs in defending lawsuits involving Ford Explorer towing combinations. This policy is not related to safety issues. This is an unusual circumstance for U-Haul –we have built our success for over 60 years by saying 'yes' to our customers. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and are committed to working with our customers to find alternative options to help with their move.
Then I put in a Prius and they will rent any trailer, even the 6x12 tandem.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:09 PM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 104 Posts
Maybe U-haul has it in for prius owners. "sure fella come on down here and we can hook that trailer right up for ya." Arent you supposed to have a trailer brake and controller for that sized trailer?

Old 09-25-2011, 10:13 PM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
You don't need a brake controller, U-Haul's trailers have surge brakes.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:20 PM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Just looked up a Mini Cooper, they will even let you pull the 6x12 with one of those.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:04 AM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
Just looked up a Mini Cooper, they will even let you pull the 6x12 with one of those.
Yeah, they must've changed it. They used to only allow me up to the 5x10 with the cherokee and the marauder up to 6x12... If they really allow people to pick up a 6x12 trailer with a prius or mini in person, they're really opening themselves up to a lot of liability/lawsuits unfortunately from people that are just too stupid...

They even allow the 6x12 on a smart car... with a 3500 lb hitch, and limit you to a payload of 424lbs... bummer!

On second thought... a 6x12 would be like an enclosed car hauler for a smart car...

Old 09-26-2011, 03:12 AM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Quad Racer
According to the Nissan commercial I just saw, the frontier has a payload capable of holding a large airliner. The front landing gear was broke so a J.O. with his nissan frontier drove in front of the plane and the busted front landing gear rested in the bed and the trusty ole frontier brought it safely to a stop.

Oh yeah!

They got that idea from me. I always use my '72 Datsun 620 as a tug for airliners.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:02 AM
Old Reliable
Senior User
U haul has a form you sign saying that you understand the risks if they do not recommend you towing something. My dad was towing my Marquis to our new house a couple of years ago and they did not even blink. This car wieghs nearly 2 tons and he used his 96 Chevy 1500 with HD suspesion and Trans. However the next week when he went to tow his 81 mustang, they told him that his truck was unlikely to tow it properly. He then had the option to sign a relase form that said that he would not hold U-haul liable if something happened. BTW he did tow the mustang, cause it does wiegh less than the Marquis.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:50 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Just as scary

Traveling down I81S yesterday here is what we came accross.

Attached Images    
Old 09-26-2011, 11:52 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
And of course nothing would be right without the blow out from the cheap tires. Didn't get a pic of the damage as this guy was not too bright or anything else for that matter.

Attached Images  
Old 09-26-2011, 12:06 PM
jc8825
Posting Guru
I just went to U-Haul's site and put in a 2011 Explorer and this is what it said:
U-Haul has chosen not to rent behind this tow vehicle based on our history of excessive costs in defending lawsuits involving Ford Explorer towing combinations. This policy is not related to safety issues. This is an unusual circumstance for U-Haul –we have built our success for over 60 years by saying 'yes' to our customers. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and are committed to working with our customers to find alternative options to help with their move.

Then I put in a Prius and they will rent any trailer, even the 6x12 tandem.
This is stupid corporate nonsense on U-Haul's part for two reasons:
1) Even though they would not allow a Ford Explorer to tow anything, they had no limits for the Mercury Mountaineer, which is the exact same vehicle.
2) The current Ford Explorer is a far cry from the past Explorer. They are now uni-body and based on the Taurus. Basically they are a Taurus with a larger body.

The issues with the Explorers of the past were the fault of the tires, not the vehicles themselves. Furthermore, I guarantee that a Ford Explorer of any year would pull a trailer more safely than a Prius or other small car that U-Haul apparently has no problems renting to.

Quick Reply: Nissan Titan over GVW