1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration/Shudder when coming to a stop

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 05:26 PM
northwindone
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bsmoon
Thanks. Looks like mine is from tire cupping. Got new Michelin XPS Traction tires and the tread is uneven. I think it was from a bad shock and have replaced the shocks. I haven't checked the ball joints, but that could also be a contributor. I finally happened to notice the vibration did not occur when braking on sand/gravel. that was the tip that the noise/vibration was rubber on asphalt.
Hopefully it is your tires. I thought it was my tires, but after dropping $1200+ on new tires I was disapointed that it didn't help at all. Like the ball-joints though it did need new tires. They had tons of tread left but were tires the PO had put on in 2003 and were dry rotting from the inside out due to our hot summers and low humidity.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:29 PM
bsmoon
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know how you feel after changing the hub bearings. didn't help the vibration, but needed to be done. it is much better after rotating the tires. The uneveness was worse on the front than the back. Time will tell....

Old 12-14-2012, 06:02 PM
Captain PJ
New User
Any more updates?

I have a 2007 F-250 and am experiencing the same problem. While breaking I get a vibration below 30MPH. I replace the rear disks and pads, front break lines (wheel well), both front calipers, front disks and pads.
This is driving me nuts.I only have 95,000 miles and the truck is tight as a drum.
Vibration occures while in neutral or in gear.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:05 PM
bsmoon
New User
On my truck it was the tires. Does the vibration happen on sand, gravel, grass? It didn't on my truck. The other vibration I had was the carrier bearing for the driveshaft. It happened around 40 mph. May want to check your carrier bearing also.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:41 PM
Captain PJ
New User
vibration.

I'll hit the dirt and grass in the AM. Tires kind of makes sense and has crossed my mind. I have 25,000 on a set of Nitto's that look like they are in great shape. I chime back in after Iv'e checked the truck out on soft Terra Firma and sneak a peak at the carrier bearing. Thanks much!

Old 01-15-2013, 11:29 AM
northwindone
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Captain PJ
I have a 2007 F-250 and am experiencing the same problem. While breaking I get a vibration below 30MPH. I replace the rear disks and pads, front break lines (wheel well), both front calipers, front disks and pads.
This is driving me nuts.I only have 95,000 miles and the truck is tight as a drum.
Vibration occures while in neutral or in gear.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Didn't realized someone had added to this thread with a question. Unfortunetly I haven't done anything since the ball-joint replacement to fix the vibration. I ended up with a bad coolant leak which involved removing the intake manifold to fix. My truck is currently sitting in my driveway with no intake manifold. I'll update this once I replace the rear brakes.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:05 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I also have a shutter when coming to a stop in my new truck (crew cab long bed). Im hoping it is my tires/ball joints, because they are both shot. Going to rotate the tires and do ball joints in a month or two, so we will see. I also have a single clunk right after i hit the brakes while coming to a stop, usually only if im going over 30-40mph though. Curious to see if you can find anything, i havent looked into it much yet

Old 02-15-2013, 12:19 AM
northwindone
More Turbo
Originally Posted by acf6
I also have a shutter when coming to a stop in my new truck (crew cab long bed). Im hoping it is my tires/ball joints, because they are both shot. Going to rotate the tires and do ball joints in a month or two, so we will see. I also have a single clunk right after i hit the brakes while coming to a stop, usually only if im going over 30-40mph though. Curious to see if you can find anything, i havent looked into it much yet
That clunk does sound like a ball joint problem, but it's odd that it only happens when going over 30-40 mph. I just finished my intake manifold project yesterday, so I still haven't touched the rear brakes yet to see if that is the problem. Although after doing ball joints, u-joints, and front brakes a while back and just finishing the intake manifold and spark plug change on my V10, the rear brakes should be fairly easy. Hopefully I can update this thread saying the rear brakes fixed the problem.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:27 AM
CPaulsen
Senior User
Had a similar problem. Turned out to be a rear brake caliper sticking. Replaced both rear calipers/pads and rotors....no problems now.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:21 PM
Captain PJ
New User
Truck shuttering below 30 while braking.

I replaced the back disks and pads as the truck had 95,000. That didn't help and was probably a waste of $. The parts I replaced had tons of life.

The front pad and disks only had 8 or 10 thousand miles since they were done so I skipped to the calipers. This had no effect so I figured if it was the calipers, maybe the disks were being unevenly worn down. I turned the old disks I had removed back when i did the brake job 8 or 10 thousand miles ago and installed them along with 2 sets of new pads. The truck still shuttered.

The next thing I did was replace the flexible hoses going to the front calipers and bled the crap out of the system. The truck still shuttered but was significantly better. I really had to stomp on the brake pedal to get it to shake.

At this point I felt a little better but was still frustrated. I decided it worked OK for now so I'd give it a break for a while and worry about something else.
As I drove the truck the problem seemed to get better the more I used the brakes. After a couple weeks I couldn't feel squat for shaking anymore.

My final conclusion was that the lines were toast and it was allowing the pads to skip across the disks and create an uneven surface that was felt in the pedal.

Knowing what I know know, I'd replace the flexible lines and turn the rotors, maybe replace the calipers if the rotors and lines didn't fix it.

Now it's on to the stupid fan clutch. I'm just getting over the high pressure dummy plug leaking (that was a 6 hour job) which started leaking shortly after the brakes were fixed. I paid the truck off and all it seems to do is request my attention. I think Ford has a little button they push when you pay off your ride that makes it fall apart.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:49 PM
audioguru76
Senior User
Originally Posted by Captain PJ
I think Ford has a little button they push when you pay off your ride that makes it fall apart.
Funny you say that... I just paid mine off last month and now I've needed rear brakes, up-pipes started leaking, got a small trans leak, and have the same shudder from 20-0. I also have a slight squeak when reversing slowly. I'm thinking I have a ujoint with a dry "leg". I jacked the rear of the truck up and set it on stands then had my wife put it in gear. At idle you could feel a definite vibration in the whole truck but the driveshaft visually doesn't vibrate (best I can tell). I had this happen on an old Ranger I had in college as well. I'm gonna try to narrow it down to which of the 4 it could be (CC LB) but I suspect the rearmost since it has some silvery goop pushing out of one leg. I'll probably just replace all 4.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:01 AM
handifletch
Senior User
Good utube video
this helped me a bunch, if you have access to a press by all means but the harbor freight 4wheel drive kit worked for me. Have you checked your front brake calipers for free movement, I had left front binding and got some shudder easy fix to regrease with never seize.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:14 AM
audioguru76
Senior User
If you are asking me, then no I have not checked front brakes. They were just redone by me last summer when i did balljoints and a wheel bearing. I just did a pad slap on the rear tonight along with greasing the pins and the squeak in the rear is still there. I thought it was the pads, but since the calipers seemed free and the pins are definitely free and lubed I'm suspecting the Ujoints. Plus, when the truck was just sitting on jackstands, no wheels/tires in the rear you could feel the vibration (ah yeah) letting the truck just spin the driveshaft at idle speed. Eliminated out of balance tire, and rear brakes in my opinion. Truck doesn't pull at all when braking so I'm not suspecting a hanging front caliper.

On the plus side, while I was under the truck I finally got around to replacing my blown out front swaybar endlinks with the MOOG balljoint style. SOOO nice to not have the front end sound like it's self destructing over every tiny bump!

Old 05-16-2013, 12:47 AM
handifletch
Senior User
I just did the same thing on the front sway but didn't use the moog wish I had but the pissy clunky is gone. Sorry I did not realize that this was an old post that was recently brought back to life. My caliper bind did not cause my truck to pull only shudder.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:45 AM
Captain PJ
New User
I just replaced the two rear U joints. The very back one had a leg that the bearings were toast. I felt the vibration at about 50 MPH. Easy job, just get the ones with grease fittings if you replace them.

Quick Reply: Vibration/Shudder when coming to a stop