Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-10-2011, 02:39 PM
Senior User

xxshine is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bypass the fuel relay switch

4.9 L. At the switch, cut the yellow wire. Cut the brown wire and hook it up to a keyed positive wire ( a wire that's hot when key is on ). Now if you've disabled some of the smog junk ( like me ), clip the red wire and cap it with a twist nut. The check engine lite won't come on anymore. I think that will disable the injector blower fan too, but i removed that stupid thing a long time ago. Irregardless, the red wire doesn't do anything important anyway.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Post Fiend

bashby has a great reputation on FTE.bashby has a great reputation on FTE.bashby has a great reputation on FTE.bashby has a great reputation on FTE.
Huh?!?!?!?!?!??!??!?
Old 09-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Postmaster

White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.White 97 xlt has a spectacular reputation.
Is he talking in his sleep??????
1997 F-250 HD Extended cab, long bed, 5.8L, E4OD.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:54 PM
Elder User

L. Ward has a good reputation on FTE.L. Ward has a good reputation on FTE.
Thumbs down NOT a smart thing to do!!

If I am reading right, he is talking about bypassing out the inertia safety switch. NOT a smart thing to do, as that is one of those things that is there for a reason. There is no sane reason to bypass that switch, and if you are in a wreck, the pumps can and will keep spraying fuel. You ever see what happens with an engine fire in a wreck, where 2 people are pinned in a 92-96 stepside and the relay doesnt kick off the fuel as it burns? By the time a rig got there, it was totally involved. Needless to say it was not a good night.
Speed costs money! How FAST do you want to go? '04 Excursion EB 4x4, 6.0 PSD, '94 F350 Crew Cab (Emergency Response Vehicle), 4x4, carbed 460 , E4OD, 4.10 Gears; '90 F250, carbed 460, E4OD RIP; '78 Bronco 460, C6 4" lift, 38" Swampers RIP
If I helped, please show some love above
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...2-11-10-a.html
Old 09-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Senior User

When that inertia switch fails, the motor won't start. Then you have to run down the problem and then buy the part. And what if the switch fails far away from home. What are most people going to do. Answer is that they will have the vehicle towed at $$. By taking that inertia switch out, a piece has been eliminated and fewer problem points. I bypassed the fuel relay switch cause i got a bad switch and there's no return on electrical parts. So now i don't have that part to fail, either.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:37 PM
Elder User

Thumbs down Still a stupid thing to do!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxshine View Post
When that inertia switch fails, the motor won't start. Then you have to run down the problem and then buy the part. And what if the switch fails far away from home. What are most people going to do. Answer is that they will have the vehicle towed at $$. By taking that inertia switch out, a piece has been eliminated and fewer problem points. I bypassed the fuel relay switch cause i got a bad switch and there's no return on electrical parts. So now i don't have that part to fail, either.
You also don't have a important safety item on the truck anymore. A few years back, I was travelling on I-95 in Fla and came up on a stepside that slammed into the Jersey barrier and then ran into the woods and caught fire. For whatever reason, the inertia switch did not trip. The driver and passenger were pinned with no way to get out, and everytime we thought we had the flames down, it flared back up, being fed fuel by the pump. we dumped over 100 POUNDS of dry-chem trying to put it out. The last 3-4 extinguisher loads I dumped straight into the cab trying to hold the flames at bay long enough for a pumper to arrive. Unfortunately, we ran out of extinguishers from stopping semi's before the engine arrived. When they did get there the truck was fully involved from the front bumper back to rear of the cab. There was a small dog in the back that I was able to get out when I planted a empty extinguisher thru the rear window and grabbed him out by the collar and tossed him to somebody behind the truck that had been passing me fresh extinguishers. Needless to say, the driver and passenger did not make it (double fatality). Can I say 100% they would have survived if it did not burn? NO, but I can say that the damage to the cab would most likely not have been a fatality scene without the fire.

Additionally, keep in mind, you are not only putting yourself at risk, but you are risking my life and my brothers lives (in addition to anyone you happen to get into a wreck with) as we are the ones who are running into the fray trying to put out the fire and save your @$$. And all because you want to save $25-30 on the cost of a replacement?
Speed costs money! How FAST do you want to go? '04 Excursion EB 4x4, 6.0 PSD, '94 F350 Crew Cab (Emergency Response Vehicle), 4x4, carbed 460 , E4OD, 4.10 Gears; '90 F250, carbed 460, E4OD RIP; '78 Bronco 460, C6 4" lift, 38" Swampers RIP
Old 09-11-2011, 02:03 AM
Senior User

That's easy to understand. The hard truth is that lots of people bypass the inertia switch. It's a common topic to discuss. What i hear is people put a toggle in between the two wires as an anti-theft device. Hot wire the thing all you want. It still won't start until the hidden toggle is found.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:09 AM
Elder User

Just because people do it doesn't make it smart or right to do. Same as drinking and driving, etc. Putting a hidden toggle switch to make it anti-theft doesn't require bypassing the inertia switch--- you can wire before or after it, or at the underhood relay for that matter. From a liability standpoint, get involved in a wreck that has problems caused by a inoperative switch that has been bypassed, and expect the lawyers WILL own anything you ever owned by the time they are done. In marine applications, have safety switches bypassed and the CG will ticket you on the spot (and tow the boat). It's like anything in life, there are right ways to do things and wrong ways to do things. As I said before, just to save the $25-30 for the cost of a replacement switch? Stupid, stupid, stupid. These items are NOT problem prone (millions of cars use them) and serve a vital purpose. Removing them does not increase power, reliabilty or mpg, which are the main reasons for removing/modding various factory components. Sorry, but you are not going to change my mind on the stupidity of doing a mod like this, and you stand and watch two people burn to death because of a fuel fed engine fire you would be the same way.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:09 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1978, 1993, 49, 96, bypass, f150, ford, fuel, inertia, jump, problems, relay, solenoid, switch, truck