Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Raymonds Story/Budget Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 08:31 AM
KingBigJoe
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm... nice build grinnergetter. I'll subscribe !

Old 06-12-2012, 05:32 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I started working on getting the engine in today.

Lotsa oil goes here.

I first tried to use the perches from a 75 4x4 that had a 360 but after looking at how badly the transfer case was going to hit the bottom of the cab...well...they had to go. Basically they are too tall for my 79 chassis and the angles are all wrong on the flat part that meets the motor mount.

I got out my original perches that were for a 351/400 and after mocking them up, it looked like they would drop the engine down considerably and only need minor tweaking. They also fit the frame much better.

Here is the problem.

I also flipped the motor mounts to move the stud closer to the back of the engine as the 351 perches were much farther back than the motor mounts on the 390.

I forgot to take a pic of the finished product but you get the idea. I just used some filler metal and welded them back up. Worked like a champ. Everything is level and I pitched the engine at a 3 degree angle.

Now, I need to drill new holes for the perches between the engine block and frame so a right angle drill has been ordered. I used to have a DeWalt but it has vanished in my barn...never to be found again. I really am kinda organized....really!

I mocked up the Maddog fenderwell headers and they look like they will fit nicely. There would be lots of cab/frame mount material removal if I had went with the taller perches.

I hope the rest goes as planned.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:32 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
I've been pecking away at this thing. Kinda swappin back and forth between the 79 and the crew.
I drilled new holes for the perches, rebuilt the carb complete with all linkages, floats,power valve and gaskets.
Mocked up the driver side header today to be sure everything fit. I had to notch the cab support a bit but I expected it due to the modified perches. Other than that at least one side fits nice. No mods necessary to inner fender which are
2wd.

Anyone have any idea how much fender to remove to clear 37's???..79, no lift. I currently have 4 inches from tire to fender on top/ center of tire.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:40 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
I forgot to say "I'm over budget" however everything associated with stopping and starting is brand new or rebuilt all the way All brake and fuel lines are stainless.

As long as the rest of the old parts are good such as radiator and wiring I'm done with spending money on this winter beater.

$7947.83

Old 07-03-2012, 07:36 PM
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Wow that truck is really coming along nicely. Good job

I`d be too afraid to try and total up how much my trucks have costed. I just spend my money and try to forget about it.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:41 PM
KingBigJoe
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by grinnergetter
I forgot to say "I'm over budget" however everything associated with stopping and starting is brand new or rebuilt all the way All brake and fuel lines are stainless.

As long as the rest of the old parts are good such as radiator and wiring I'm done with spending money on this winter beater.

$7947.83
$8000 !!!!

Oh dear... you spent more on your truck than I've ever made in my employment career. I better start saving now.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:01 PM
Yeehaw1
Senior User
Originally Posted by wyckedcombo17
I think it's safe to say you're the only one doing simultaneous frame-offs. Except maybe chasetruck but he's nuts too.

What's the wheel race in the freezer trick? Freeze em so they're smaller and go in the hub easier? Those drums look pretty juicy.
Nope, I've got three frame-offs going right now, in different stages of done...

I was wondering that myself...

Looks good, can't wait to see it done... Is the bedliner in the floorboard to cut down on heat and roadnoise by anychance? (been wondering if that worked myself...)

Whoops, I just relized there were 2 more pages lol...

Last edited by Yeehaw1; 07-03-2012 at 11:49 PM. Reason: just relized there was more pages...
Old 07-03-2012, 10:17 PM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Never seen this thread before, but I'm glad I came across it!

Looking great so far Grin!

A bit over budget, but it happens... I'm around $3000 into my truck right now and it barely runs hahaha!

Old 07-03-2012, 10:39 PM
lafermedavid
Cargo Master

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
Money

It dosnt take long does it grinner,if any body would know.The average person would say were I try not to talk to average folks about it

Old 07-04-2012, 12:55 AM
projectdagger
Elder User
that trucks awesome.. looking forward to more photos

Old 07-04-2012, 08:42 AM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
My dad taught me the freezer trick while we were replacing bearings on an old JD model B. Compared to me he is a professional packrat.

This truck was my test subject for Al's Liner so I coated everything to see how it would hold up to Indiana winters.

As far as being overbudget. I guess I could have just went and bought a winter ride for alot less but how many times would I be left stranded? At least this way I won't be walking in a blizzard.(hopefully)

Besides, the project is the fun part. Getting them finished is kind of a let down, at least for me. Kinda like ...now what do I do?

NEXT!!!!

Old 07-04-2012, 03:36 PM
JB78f150
Posting Guru
I think you should Al's liner the whole truck. Then it would be one color and protected.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:21 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
I got around to the other header and as you can see it took some wackin on the inner fender to get it to fit. No mods to cab mount on this side.

I'm going to get them coated and then I can fire it up.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:24 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by JB78f150
I think you should Al's liner the whole truck. Then it would be one color and protected.
Uhm, no....

Old 07-11-2012, 07:54 PM
460 FORD MAN
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very nice build! Looking foward to seeing more!

Quick Reply: Raymonds Story/Budget Build