1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you consider ESSENTIAL for a in-truck Tool-kit, or Repair Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 06:52 PM
02SuperPoop
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
basic hand tools
an extra quart of oil
tow strap/heavy chains
a spare coil and plug for the 5.4
gloves
waterproof boots
atleast 1/4 tank of gas
spare plow parts for the winter times
knife
blanket
minimum of 10 cans of beer (4 for me and 6 for whoever has the pleasure of pulling me out) haha

Old 09-07-2011, 07:27 PM
XB70
Elder User
Originally Posted by northwindone
Eventually I would like to add a gun to the list, as soon as I get a gun safe
I know you live in California, but if have to keep a gun in a safe, what's the point?

Guns are legal in California. We just make you wait 14 days to buy one even though you already own 17 others. Next, we make you install a trigger lock, then carry it in the trunk of your car unloaded with the ammunition someplace else!

Now, you're ready to defend yourself. Well, not right know, first you have to get the gun out of the trunk, unlock the trigger lock, find the ammunition, load it....Isn't that a lot of trouble?

Why not remember the advice of the California Attorey General, LAPD, LASD and Highway Patrol: If you survive a robbery, highjacking or murder attempt and if your cellphone wasn't stolen call 911.

After listening to the prerecorded message in English, then Espanol, select #1 for EMERGENCY. After holding for five minutes, a 911 operator will tell you where to file a report of your incident.

Thank you for living in California. We appreciate the few working, taxpaying legal residents we have left!

Old 09-07-2011, 07:30 PM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Received 615 Likes on 383 Posts
Originally Posted by XB70
I know you live in California, but if have to keep a gun in a safe, what's the point?

Guns are legal in California. We just make you wait 14 days to buy one even though you already own 17 others. Next, we make you install a trigger lock, then carrying it in the trunk of your car and the ammunition someplace else!

Now, you're ready to defend yourself. Well, not right know, first you have to get the gun out of the trunk, unlock the trigger lock, find the ammunition, load it....Isn't that a lot of trouble?

Why not remember the advice of the California Attorey General, LAPD, LASD and Highway Patrol: If you survive a robbery, highjacking or murder attempt if your cellphone wasn't stolen call 911.

After listening to the prerecorded message in English, then Espanol, select #1 for EMERGENCY. After holding for five minutes, a 911 operator will tell you where to file a report of your incident.
Don't be picking on Commiefornia now.. they are a state with rights too... sorta....once upon a time...

Old 09-07-2011, 07:34 PM
sand_fiend
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Complete socket set to 1 1/4 inch
Complete wrench and screw driver set.
Electrical tape.
Flashlight.
Test light.
Tie straps.
Tow strap.
Toilet paper.
Extra CPS.
Tie downs.
Blanket's
Starter fluid.
Oil.
Serpentine belt.
Jumper cables.
Fuse's.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:40 PM
XB70
Elder User
Originally Posted by sand_fiend
Complete socket set to 1 1/4 inch
Complete wrench and screw driver set.
Electrical tape.
Flashlight.
Test light.
Tie straps.
Tow strap.
Toilet paper.
Extra CPS.
Tie downs.
Blanket's
Starter fluid.
Oil.
Serpentine belt.
Jumper cables.
Fuse's.
Those apostrophes just add weight and reduce fuel mileage. Give the toilet paper to the guy in California with a gun safe, because he'll **** himself trying to get to his pistol in an emergency!

Old 09-07-2011, 08:26 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Guns are legal in California. We just make you wait 14 days to buy one even though you already own 17 others.
That's why you get a safe, to keep the other 17 firearms from getting stolen.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:48 PM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
In my tool box I keep:

Cheap socket and wrench set (Cheap because it's no big deal if some pieces get lost)
4 30' 30,000 pound tow straps (Got a good deal on these a couple years ago so I stocked up)
A couple smaller tow straps
Several recovery shackles
Come along
25 foot jumper cables
Portable jumper pack (not much good for jump starting but it makes a nice portable 12V power source)
Receiver mount tow shackle and several ball mounts
Numerous tie down straps
Small floor jack
Breaker bar with socket for lug nuts
Extra fluids (Oil, antifreeze, tranny fluid, etc)
Probably a few other things I'm forgetting about

Also in the truck I keep:

Fire extinguisher
A couple flashlights
High visibility vest
Rain suit
10 million candlepower spotlight

Old 09-07-2011, 09:17 PM
Pili
Senior User
we make you install a trigger lock, then carry it in the trunk of your car unloaded with the ammunition someplace else!

Why would they make you do crap like that? Gun laws here are like in Texas the gun goes were you go as long as its not in a federal building, school or on rat factory property. The whole propose for a concealed permit is to take it with you

Old 09-07-2011, 09:24 PM
barthel
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guns are legal in California. We just make you wait 14 days to buy one even though you already own 17 others. Next, we make you install a trigger lock, then carry it in the trunk of your car unloaded with the ammunition someplace else!

Why not remember the advice of the California Attorey General, LAPD, LASD and Highway Patrol: If you survive a robbery, highjacking or murder attempt and if your cellphone wasn't stolen call 911.

Thank you for living in California. We appreciate the few working, taxpaying legal residents we have left!
As we like to say in the PRK, "when seconds count the police are only minutes away"!

Old 09-07-2011, 09:42 PM
northwindone
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That sounds about right, and of course there aren't that many of us left in the state that work for a living. One of these days I hope give a chunk of my paycheck to a state that actually supports my rights for the most part. I'm thinking Alaska, but Texas wouldn't be too bad either. Anyway all of you just crack me up with the responses to my post, I definitely see your points. The gun safe is for the "extra" guns though. I grew up in a house full of guns so I don't have a problem with it, I just want to keep my daughter safe. I plan on getting a shotgun for home defense though, I carried one with me all summer from the age of 11 for defense against bear in the Alaska bush, so I'm pretty comfortable with them.

Originally Posted by ToMang07
Don't be picking on Commiefornia now.. they are a state with rights too... sorta....once upon a time...
Yeah, not many. At least they still let me drive my truck, who knows how long till they take that away or charge me extra for having a truck...oh wait, they already do.

Those apostrophes just add weight and reduce fuel mileage. Give the toilet paper to the guy in California with a gun safe, because he'll **** himself trying to get to his pistol in an emergency!
I'll almost did that once already trying to get to a shotgun while a bear was coming in a window and I was in the cabin alone....of course I was 12 at the time. Oh yeah, and that's one more items I always keep in the truck too.

Originally Posted by Kep4
That's why you get a safe, to keep the other 17 firearms from getting stolen.
Exactly!!

Okay, sorry for dragging this further OT, but you all started it!

Old 09-08-2011, 10:48 AM
68, 60 Effie
Junior User
I also have a crash kit for the front wheel bearings. The front wheel bearings have left me stranded in bad places before. Once in Detroit, it's a wonder I even got out of there and once in the bush in the upper penninsula of Michigan. Here is what is in my front wheel bearing crash kit:

13/16 thin wall - 6 pt socket
Ratchet
Hammer
Grease
Bearing
Extension
Breaker Bar
17 mm socket
Snap Ring Pliers
Pliers
bag
pry bar
bungee cord
vice- grips

I also carry a spare coil and an 8mm socket to change it.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:25 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
gotta love Craigslist and Horse Trading

I just replaced the wifes rides tires, selling the old ones for $150...then found a nice TSC box for $100 that needs polishing.

Looks like tomorrow I'm going to start expanding my Toolkit with many of the great suggestions you guys have made.

what about replacement parts? Fan belt is a must (old one), but any other high frequency fail items that would be a good idea to stock up on?

Old 09-21-2011, 04:08 PM
Fontana
Senior User
I've been looking for the right tow strap/tow bar for that "just in case" situation. Agree to get more than you think you'll ever need. I keep a 2 3/4 S&W .357 loaded with federal hydroshock .38. No point in damaging my hearing.

Duct tape
e-tool
flashlight
4-6 sandbags in winter
knife
blanket

Old 09-21-2011, 09:19 PM
lakedweller
Elder User
Around home AAA card, cell phone and a multi bit screwdriver.

On the road with my 5er I fill my tool box up and more stuff in the 5er.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:24 PM
mcampbell545
Freshman User
Ive got my old F150 piled with stuff.

2 chains
18,000lb tow strap
Blanket
Work Gloves
Ice Scraper/Snow Brush
Basic Tool Set
Adjustable wrench
Lawn chair
Water
Reflective vest
Flashlight
Knife
Small basic 1st Aid kit (want a bigger one for doing landscape/tree work and recovery)
Jumper Cables
Car charger for cell phone
CB radio
Rags
Antifreeze
Brake Fluid
sometimes Oil
Power Steering fluid
Lighter Fluid
Can of Axe
Tire Gauge
Tow Shackles in front, ball hitch in rear
Lots of ratchet straps/bungees
rope
fishing gear

Still need to get myself a jack and a good spot to put a spare (truck has dual tanks and no spare mount)

Quick Reply: What do you consider ESSENTIAL for a in-truck Tool-kit, or Repair Kit?