IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Good morning everyone...what's up!?

Old 09-22-2011, 07:53 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Morning gentlemen...it's rain in the west as I hammer out this post on my computer. I don't want to sound like a particular diesel junky (he knows who I'm talking about)...but I'm not liking the layout of rocker box bolts & and the BS that's in the way just to get to the injectors on the driver's side. If I could just clone myself...I could get everything taken care of twice as fast & efficiently.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:23 AM
jgoodman6891
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found out this morning that I need to set up a manual glow plug button for my 1ton. After sitting all night at work, it fired up fine. Idled for a bit, pulled in the wash bay to get all the sap off then met a friend for breakfast. When I went to leave, glow plugs didnt kick in & the engine temp was up some so I figured it would fire off without problems like it has been doing. NOPE! Sat around for 20 minutes with the hood up to let her cool off enough the plugs would kick in. Sure enough, cooled off enough for them to kick in & it busted right off.

On top of that I lost my fuel cap somewhere between the house & work last night.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:09 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jgoodman6891
Found out this morning that I need to set up a manual glow plug button for my 1ton.

On top of that I lost my fuel cap somewhere between the house & work last night.
I'm not real familiar with the 6.9 (I know once you start it, you don't need a battery or Alt); so I don't know how the glow plugs are activated. But I'm wondering if a "glow plug relay" has gone bad on the truck?

With that said, there has been a video over the last 24-36 hours on YouTube that has just about gone viral. It's an over opinionated Pirus driver cussing out a guy & his wife because he drives a diesel pick-up (think he's in a Duramax, hard to tell). Anyone that's interested in the video...if you PM me, I'll send you the link to the video; it's some what entertaining. I will not post it in this thread...two threads in the 6.0L have been killed because the Eco-**** lady can't use clean language to express her opinion. The Dodge boys have thread related to the video and they've been meaner to her than any of the 6.0L owners.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:04 AM
jgoodman6891
Elder User
Sent you a PM.

The plugs & controller seem fine. My best guess is I found that sweet (or sour) spot where the motor is to warm for them & the air is to cold.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:31 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Sent you a PM.
Got cha' covered
The plugs & controller seem fine. My best guess is I found that sweet (or sour) spot where the motor is to warm for them & the air is to cold.
You might fire off a PM to Jeff to see if there is something to check on that. Granted I'm using a 3208 for a reference...but once you lite that dude off in the morning, it was good for the rest of the day. Even if you did several stop/starts before the block got warm.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:36 AM
jgoodman6891
Elder User
It also might be the fact the truck has done more sitting & collecting tree sap in the past few years than anything else.

I need to find a glass or clear coke bottle & pour some of the old fuel out to show everyone about it.

Jeff is the anti-electric diesel fella right?

Old 09-23-2011, 10:52 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
It also might be the fact the truck has done more sitting & collecting tree sap in the past few years than anything else.

I need to find a glass or clear coke bottle & pour some of the old fuel out to show everyone about it.
Fuel, that could be the ticket. Though I thought you said you dumped the tank in put in some fresher fuel?
Jeff is the anti-electric diesel fella right?
High performance, tire shredding, drive-shaft twisting, powerhouse monsters that perform w/o spark-plugs...Yip, that's Jeff. I must confess, I dig the '53 that's diesel powered...though that Berlin Diesel in an American Iron classic

Old 09-25-2011, 05:47 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Been rather quite in here for the last couple of days.

This is for Jeff:
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/K3yohoCqD2E" allowfullscreen="" width="560" frameborder="0" height="315"></iframe>

For the record, every bone & well being in my body says this is wrong. I can't stand a Detroit. The noise alone just makes me want to , but like any old Ford IDI they're cheap to come by, duct tape & bailing wire will keep one going and they pretty much live long lives. I still wouldn't own one. I'll continue to take my chances with the 6.0L

Old 09-25-2011, 05:57 PM
jgoodman6891
Elder User
I ran across that video some time back. I like it but the lifted & body lifted 3/4t 2wd with a dually rear end kills it for me.

I even had the idea to find an old Detroit, stuff it in my '77 F100 & race it. Then I realized the *******s weigh a ton & I would rather have a big roots blower sticking out the hood with a big inch 460 under it........ one day I will have it built.

Good news is Im getting a good pile of lumber together for our chicken coop.

Changed the t-stat in my '94 to a 192*. It had a 180* in it & would only get up to the line for the normal range. New stat & a few short trips around the block it settled in on the "O" & I parked it feeling better its actually getting up to temp. The shifts actually feel smoother but I didnt really pay alot of attention.

Also finally got around to going to the oil/fuel company that has non-ethanol gas. $89.xx later the dyno-in-the-***-meter said I picked up 1/2 - 3/4 hp & 1.3-1.7 ftlbs.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:04 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Good morning...have a great week everyone.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:14 PM
TheWhiteBeast
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...bars-leak.html

Check out my thread on my motor in my mustang. Oil/coolant additives = bad.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:43 PM
jgoodman6891
Elder User
DAMN dude!! I feel your pain on dealing with what the p/o ******* did. Im looking at a possible new injection pump for my 1ton.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:14 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Replaced the #2 injector in the Pavement Princess and everything is well in my world again. I'd go looking for a 7.3L to pick on but Scott would make the trip from Jacksonville...I'm not feeling that frisky. Still trying to figure out how you crack an injector on a stock truck...spining the crank at 2k rpm and running light. From the sounds/smoke it was starting to make and the three cracks from the tip down the sides of the nipple toward the compression/crush washer....it may have only been a few more miles before she blew the tip off into the cylinder Lord only knows how much $$$ I managed to save by not having that tip blow off.
Im looking at a possible new injection pump for my 1ton.
So you think that might be the problem with your truck starting? Did you ever get ahold of Jeff? I can't say he's the official Arkansas IDI guru; but I'm willing to beat he's forgotten more about them than I'll ever know.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:38 PM
jgoodman6891
Elder User
Nah, I completely forgot about PMing him. I need to get an opinion of someone thats not running a diesel shop or thumbing through tons of threads on a couple forums. My problem is if I pull the pump, I will want to completely redo the ENTIRE fuel system. That I cant afford anytime soon.

I halfass measured the fuel tank on my friends Deuce & half the other day & I think I can put it on my truck. But I think I would rather have a tank mounted inside the frame rail like stock. That way I can have a tool box on both sides. Sure wish I could weld aluminum better cause I would get some diamond plate & start one.

Pulled the first load with her this weekend. 12' long x 3' wide roller. One you fill with water & pack a field down. The "frame" part of it stuck off 6"-8" off each side & a couple feet off the back. The rear of the overload spring just barely touched. Pulled it really good. Only had to drop down to 3rd gear once on a big hill that every truck has to down shift on. I really want a Ranger over drive & lower gears for it.

Also found a '67-'72 F350 dually with a smaller dump bed on it. Plus 4 or 5 short beds for '73-'79.

Quick Reply: September Chat/All Topic Thread