Indiana Chapter Join Chapter , Leader:

Sept 2011 Indiana BS - The Autumnal Equinox is only one of the many topics we are BS'ing about!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 09:38 PM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts
Evening IN!

The floor looks great Joe, the closest I came to laboring was cleaning my workshop, which started by looking for a tool to do another job.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:05 AM
nebo
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks so much Joe.

The floor really looks great. Nice work! My wife is wanting the same thing done at our house. I worked 12 hours each day too, but probably not as hard as you. Are you for hire?

Old 09-06-2011, 04:55 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts
Good Morning IN and Happy Tuesday!

Old 09-06-2011, 05:47 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Good morning Indiana and all of our IN friends!

The power nailer (cleats) I used was a Senco floor nailer...it uses the cleat nails and is obviously air assisted. I've used the "manual" nailer before and that is much more labor intensive as you provide all the umph...with the air assist one you really just need to hit the actuator and the air does all the work. This really comes in handy when you are close to the wall as you don't need a full swing. Or when you have a board you need to persuade into place. I use a big screwdriver driven into the subfloor to apply leverage while I am nailing...and with the power nailer...I can hold the screwdriver with one hand, the nailer with my foot and then hit the actuator with my other hand (a lot of balancing...hehe)...

Thanks for the compliments...I think the floor came out great...there were a few places that challenge my finish carpentry and just carpentry skills...but you think thru them and make progress...and thankfully I made the progress I wanted.

The pile of boxes is getting smaller and I'll tackle Zoe's bedroom in early/mid October. Then the hallway and finally the guest room will be last.

Then comes time to paint...and I'm thinking I'm hiring that done...we've got a great painter that does great work at a reasonable price...he's a Christ youth minister that paints on the side...so I figure I'll support him and take a break myself!

I'm looking forward to going back to work today to hopefully rest my body and work my mind!

I'm looking out at the pile of trash outside...hopefully the trash men take everything I put out...the recycling bin is overflowing with the cardboard boxes all cut up and I have two 96 gallon bins full of stuff as well as two big bags and a smaller 40 gallon garbage can...two rooms of padding and carpet really pushed my capacity on trash...now lets see if they take it...the good news is the 96 gallon bins are typically dumped via the hydraulic robot arm...so that shouldn't be an issue...but we'll see!

Hope everyone has a great week!

Take care,
Joe.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:54 AM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts
Good morning and have a terrific Tuesday Indiana

Old 09-06-2011, 07:50 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 222 Likes on 181 Posts
Good morning to the Indiana gang, hope the weekend went well!!

Old 09-06-2011, 07:56 AM
scottzj
Hangin 10 bra
Looking good Joe as always! Time to roll to TN so I can put you to work hahaha.
Good morning all!

Old 09-06-2011, 07:59 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 222 Likes on 181 Posts
Joe, I'll have to come back in at home and check out your pics.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:31 AM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Happy Tuesday Indiana!

Holy smokes Joe, you are a working machine! Looks great!

Originally Posted by nebo
Are you for hire?
Hire nothing... I'm sending the South Dakota special ops team to abduct him for week so he can get some stuff done around my house.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:46 AM
nebo
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cowboywanabe
Hire nothing... I'm sending the South Dakota special ops team to abduct him for week so he can get some stuff done around my house.

*keying mic*........"Breaker Breaker...1...9... we have a breech, close in and capture previously mentioned work-machine and return to my house before the SD special ops arrive".......Immediately..................*out*

Old 09-06-2011, 10:56 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Well there's good news and bad news...

The good news is that Tracey called a while ago and the garbage man took everything!...I told her to tip him $10 for hauling it all away...never hurts to get some good will with folks!

And the reason I need good will is the bad news...as I still have 2 more bedrooms and one hallway of carpet to rip out with all the associated padding and tack strips that goes along with that...

Did I mention the WORST part is all the freaking staples that the carpet installers use to hold down the padding!!!

I think my next scheduled work will be September 29 and 30th...with all of my work travels and the youth deer season and a fish fry at my house on the 17th...there just isn't a better time...which is fine since I need to get the shoe molding for the next room and get it all stained and poly'd up...plus my legs need some rest...I must have climbed the stairs up and down 200 times yesterday and Sunday each day since I kept the saws out front to not have that mess of the saw dust in the house...although the sacrifice was I needed to climb the stairs up and down!!!...

Even though my legs are in shape from the running...you still use your muscles in a different method that leads to some soreness that will take a day or so to go away...I was actually toying with doing Zoe's room this Thursday and Friday...but thought better of it...the remnants of tropical storm Lee will be up in our neck of the woods tomorrow thru Friday...I would prefer to not be couped up on the front porch out of the rain with the saws if I can help it...so I think the end of September will be the next assault...

It feels great to sit back and know you accomplished all of that by yourself.

I'll tell you guys what...I purchased one of those oscillating tools (saw)...and I can tell you it works as advertised on TV...made short order of cutting the door jambs to the proper height...always nice to get a new tool out of a project!

Old 09-06-2011, 11:05 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Originally Posted by cowboywanabe

I've got a loaded nail gun and know how to use it!!!

Old 09-06-2011, 11:06 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Originally Posted by nebo
*keying mic*........"Breaker Breaker...1...9... we have a breech, close in and capture previously mentioned work-machine and return to my house before the SD special ops arrive".......Immediately..................*out*
Thanks for having my 6 Wag...wait a minute...not sure if you are protecting me or you! lol...

Old 09-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Scramblermaster
Freshman User
Hello fellow Hoosiers. Broken hearted about Notre Dame this past weekend but oh well.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:19 PM
tiny1
Moderator & CL
Received 308 Likes on 283 Posts
Afternoon Joe, Kevin, Wag and all that drop by.

Quick Reply: Sept 2011 Indiana BS - The Autumnal Equinox is only one of the many topics we are BS'ing about!!!