Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

The Ultimate Showdown! (6.2L vs Comparably Equipped Ecoboost F-150) ''Drag Race Clips''

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 05:38 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
The 3.5L Eco is about a 205 cubic inch engine running along side the 6.2L which is about 375 cubes.

If Ford does scrap the Navi, I'll wager that a 6.2L would be a available in the high end model Expys.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:11 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Drag racing stock pickup trucks? I would be afraid to do that while under warranty. I'm sure you guys would be honest with the dealer if you broke something right?

Old 08-18-2011, 07:37 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by shortride
Drag racing stock pickup trucks? I would be afraid to do that while under warranty. I'm sure you guys would be honest with the dealer if you broke something right?
I don't think any members here were involved with the drag race videos, but what exactly do you think would break? I have never heard of a vehicle manufactured in my lifetime whose powertrain wasn't designed to handle the full rated power of the engine. What those trucks went through is nothing different than if they were accelerating up a hill with a trailer, or even maintaining speed on a grade with a heavy trailer. All within the truck's rated capacity.

Things get broken when drag racing modified trucks who are putting out more power than stock. Because the driveline is designed around the stock power levels it can get overwhelmed and break with higher output caused by engine mods.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:49 PM
atbear
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shortride
1. Why would something break? You think trucks aren't supposed to go WOT or reach higher speeds (which they were built to do)?

2. Why would there be a warranty issue with the dealer? The warranty is definitely still good no matter how many times you go WOT or 120mph.

You could take your truck and drive it like they did in the EcoBoost torture videos if you want (WOT for 24 hours with 11,300 lbs. towed), and as long as you change your oil when necessary, you're covered.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:59 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
On the subject of WoT runs and if it will or will not damage the Powertrain/Drivetrain.

Well in a new stock truck, I think the chance's are highly unlikely that you would see any damange from an empty WoT run. You could probably drag race a stock truck down a 1/4 mile track 7 days a week for a year and not see any damage...''Assuming you don't do anything stupid like netural drops''.

But yeah I would say all these new engines have pretty much been tested to the same extent that the Ecoboost has. The Ecoboost's testing was just made more public because it was the engine that had something to prove. Ford know's that some people are gonna race these trucks...They know that some people are gonna tow a ton of weight with them...And a brave/dumb few are going to even exceed what these trucks are rated at for max towing. Make no mistake, If Ford didn't feel confident in their new engines they would not have relesed them to the public. The last thing Ford wants is to get bad <acronym title="Page Ranking">PR</acronym> because a bunch of kids blow's their engines red light racing.

With that said I pretty much never run my truck at full throttle. I know that my 5.0L could probably handle revving close to the redline all day long and be just fine...But I'm not one to risk it. The only time's I ever go full throttle ''in any of my vehicles'' is if its an emergency manuver and I need to get the hell outta the way and fast!

(On a side note)

I have heard that doing a full throttle run ''perhaps onto the highway onramp or something'' ever now then is actually good for you're engine? Supposedly the higher RPM's and all that help to clean carbon depsoites outta you're engine? Has anyone else heard of this? If it would be interesting to try and debunk it here.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:24 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by 640 CI Aluminum FORD
With that said I pretty much never run my truck at full throttle. I know that my 5.0L could probably handle revving close to the redline all day long and be just fine...But I'm not one to risk it. The only time's I ever go full throttle ''in any of my vehicles'' is if its an emergency manuver and I need to get the hell outta the way and fast!
Oh I do frequently!

Every vehicle I own sees redline nearly every time it gets driven. Including my 11-year-old contour...that old V6 sees 7,000 RPMs daily. It's maintained well though, and still going strong. I have never met anyone who blew a stock engine by letting it rev, and I have a heck of a lot of fun doing it. My motorcycle is also out of warranty, and revs to 11,000 RPMs. GREAT stuff!

Old 08-18-2011, 11:50 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Crazy001
Oh I do frequently!

Every vehicle I own sees redline nearly every time it gets driven. Including my 11-year-old contour...that old V6 sees 7,000 RPMs daily. It's maintained well though, and still going strong. I have never met anyone who blew a stock engine by letting it rev, and I have a heck of a lot of fun doing it. My motorcycle is also out of warranty, and revs to 11,000 RPMs. GREAT stuff!
That's the key right there. Is maintence. People think cars only require oil changes to keep going. They don't think about everything else. Nah truth is if you maintain you're car properly it'll last you as long as you want it to.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:33 AM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
Received 161 Likes on 129 Posts
In the mtns I'm pretty sure people destroy trans because they fear RPM. Just let the freakin motor work people! Instead its floor it to get to 55mph, then panic cause its in 2nd gear, so let off and let it shift to 3rd, then when it won't hold speed, floor it to get back to 55mph in 2nd gear, then let off, etc. They'll do this 20 times up an 11 mile pass. Yikes!

Old 08-19-2011, 12:58 AM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by GoinBoarding
In the mtns I'm pretty sure people destroy trans because they fear RPM. Just let the freakin motor work people! Instead its floor it to get to 55mph, then panic cause its in 2nd gear, so let off and let it shift to 3rd, then when it won't hold speed, floor it to get back to 55mph in 2nd gear, then let off, etc. They'll do this 20 times up an 11 mile pass. Yikes!
I don't have the mountain issue, living in West Texas its almost all flat plains here.

But I imagine within the next 15 to 20 years Manumatic Transmissions will most likely be standerd on every make and model of car and truck. Manumatic meaing that if you so choose you can drive it like a Clutchless Manual Transmission, or just let it do its own shifting like any other Automatic. Which should eleminate the whole gear hunt/mountain issue.

Last summer I took a trip threw the mountains of New Mexico in a ''Rental'' Suburban, it had a 6-speed auto with Manumatic function, and the only way I could get enough power to make that fat pig haul its sorry *** up those mountains was to shift it manually, and you better beleive that thing spent the greater half of that trip bouncing off the Red-Line. ''I'm nice to my and others personal vehicles but put me in a rental and you better get the hell outta the way!'' In my experience that GM 5.3L is one gutless turd...But that's a whole nother article right there...

Old 08-19-2011, 06:38 AM
NStorm
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 640 CI Aluminum FORD

I have heard that doing a full throttle run ''perhaps onto the highway onramp or something'' ever now then is actually good for you're engine? Supposedly the higher RPM's and all that help to clean carbon depsoites outta you're engine? Has anyone else heard of this? If it would be interesting to try and debunk it here.
LOL, widely labeled "The ol' Italian Tune Up"

No offense to any Italians present

Old 08-19-2011, 06:48 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by atbear
1. Why would something break? You think trucks aren't supposed to go WOT or reach higher speeds (which they were built to do)?

2. Why would there be a warranty issue with the dealer? The warranty is definitely still good no matter how many times you go WOT or 120mph.

You could take your truck and drive it like they did in the EcoBoost torture videos if you want (WOT for 24 hours with 11,300 lbs. towed), and as long as you change your oil when necessary, you're covered.
I was not questioning the capabilities of the new trucks. I was only mentioning what would happen if during some unforeseen circumstances something broke while drag racing. Why don’t you this? Write Ford Motor Company a letter and tell them you’re drag racing a new truck and ask them how it will affect your warranty. That was my only point.