5.0 v8 vs 351 v8 vs 4.6 v8 vs 5.4 v8

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 04:11 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
5.0 v8 vs 351 v8 vs 4.6 v8 vs 5.4 v8

Out of a 5.0 liter, 4.6 liter, 5.4 liter or 5.8 liter,

which engine would handle the most boost and be best suited for racing?

I'm looking at mustangs for the wife, and picking one based on how badly i can hack it up

Are there any engine that hold particulary well with boost and have durable internals?

I'm thinking 4.6/5.4 from what i've heard, but any insight would be welcome.

I want to add some turbocharger power, and some water injection. Probably a megasquirt homemade manifold fuel system.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:55 AM
phil6608
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Put forged internals in what you want or like and shoot the boost to it.

I like my 5.4 !
Others may have different preferences.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:48 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by phil6608
Put forged internals in what you want or like and shoot the boost to it.

I like my 5.4 !
Others may have different preferences.
Forged internals wear faster, right?

In stock form, which motor is the best candidate?

Or are none of them going to handle boost?

I've found "stories" of all running boost, just trying to figure out which would be the best.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:02 AM
jokerforever
Elder User
Well you're not going to find 5.8s or 5.4s in a mustang unless you get into Cobra R models (or a new Shelby but I'm guessing that is out of your price point) or if someone has swapped one in. Be careful with swaps. You never really know what you're going to get. As for the 302 or 4.6 either can take small amounts of boost and live to tell the tale. Which one is better is an argument that could go on forever.

The 87-92 5.0 had forged pistons and fair strong rods. The rest of the engine is fairly common SBF stuff. When the Mustang aftermarket exploded these cars with stock short blocks were being pushed well into the 10s with bumps into the 9s on boost or laughing gas. But now you’re not going to find many cherry pieces that aren't over priced and most of these cheaper cars are used up.

The 93-95 5.0 still had the same basic short block but with cast pistons. They are still strong little motors but have lower limits when it comes to power adders. Also the blocks in both eras of cars have their weaknesses. They have been known to crack at as little as 400 HP but have also survived 600+ horses. With a stock block it's a little of a crap shot. If you step up to aftermarket blocks then the sky is the limit but then you're also talking BIG $$$. Also, if you are willing to swap, the 351 block are considerably stronger.

The 96-98 2v 4.6 is a dog. But that means that you can get a steal on one of these. Their blocks have been proven to handle up to 600+ hp but their rotating assembly is crap. At low boost levels they live but if you start pouring it on they will break. The non-PI heads are subject to debate also. It's a common to swap out PI heads and Trick Flow just release a great set of heads targeting these cars. Heads porters seem to like the non-PI heads because there's more material to work with. For these motors, replace the rotating assembly with forged components and put it together with ARB hardware and let the boost fly.

The PI 99-04 2v 4.6 is a better breathing motor but they still have cast pistons and questionable rods. You'll pay a little more, but if you get into one of these cars you'll start with a better base. The same rules apply to the short block though.

The 4.6 4v and 3v motors are good performance motors. They can take a fair amount of boost. There are bolt on kits on the market to put these anywhere form 400-550 HP. I'll say that again; BOLT ON KITS!!! I like the 3v motors. But, with the exception of the 03-04 Terminator motors, these engines still have cast pistons. With a good tune 600 seems to be their limit. After that forged internals are mandatory. Be careful because it it's not tuned right they can still be damaged even at the lower boosts. The Terminator motors are rock solid. If you're looking for a factory motor for high boost and drag racing this is it. But expect to pay out of the *** for it. And a lot of these cars have been run hard so know what you're buying.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:55 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Thank you, thats exactly what I was looking for !!

So basically I want a newer 3v or 4v 4.6, with 4v being the better choice without cast iron pistons.

I don't know anything about car transmissions.......Should I soup up the one that comes in it, or hack one in from an f150?

Old 08-12-2011, 09:10 AM
jokerforever
Elder User
Pistons are made out of aluminum. There are three types: Cast, Hypereutectic (cast with high silicon), and Forged. There are tons of info on the web discussing how to build 4.6 motors and what you need. There are also a couple of books that you should be able to pick up at any of the larger chain book stores. You should check out 5.0 and Muscle Mustang magazines. Every month they print articles about the MOD motors and SBFs. They also have web sites with most of these articles archived. Read as much as you can.

The price on 96-99 Cobras have come way down in the last few years. What you get there is a hand build, specialty vehicle for the price of a used car. They can take boost but only so much.

I think that the 05-10 GTs are one of the best deals going right now. Hell, I even bought one. They are still going to be pricey because they are newer but there's so much aftermarket support that the biggest problem is deciding what not to add to the car. Like I said before, they have their limits, but they are pretty high limits.

Still, if you're looking for BIG boost numbers and BIG horse power, without breaking open the short block then a 03-04 Cobra or newer GT500 is what you're looking for. One other thing that might not be on your radar is the supercharged Lightning. They have good short blocks in them, take about the same mods as the Mustangs and you can easily join the 500+ horse club with bolt-ons.

Transmissions have always been a weak link in late model Mustangs. I'm not saying that they are a bad design or inherently frail. But once you start rolling on BIG power then both the autos and manuals can, not saying will, but can become an issue. There has been an entire aftermarket formed to work out these issues. Check out those mags and their web sites. You should be able to decide which way you want to go. In general, I think, the manuals are a bit stronger and faster but the autos are easier to drive and drive fast--especially on the drag strip. Either way, if I was you, I wouldn't mess with them until there was a problem. Then tap one of the advertisers in the Mustang mags for an upgrade.

Don't discount the SBFs though. They are good engines that have raced in and won every form of motorsports in the world. They are smaller, lighter, easier/cheaper to build, and one of the best engines ever made. It's just in stock form they can be a little doggish. That can be fixed with the right combination of parts.

All in all, if you're looking for a hot rod you can't go wrong with any late model Mustang. Treat the purchases like shopping for any used car. Keep in mind that if it already has aftermarket parts then it was probably ran hard. I think for what you're looking for a 05-09 would serve you well. Add the Ford Racing 550HP supercharger with a custom tune, full length headers with your choice of axle back exhaust, a set of lower control arms with good bushings, 4.11s in the rear, and a set of drag radials. On a good sticky track, close to sea level and with good air, you should be able to pull a tire and run in the mid 11s and maybe dip into the 10s.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:05 PM
jokerforever
Elder User
Thought I'd round up some reading for you

Here is a thread about a fellow that bought a newer Mustang
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...5-mustang.html
Make sure to read my write up on page 2

Here, I goated somebody into how great Fords are
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ml#post9807786
I have a good write up on post 323 about Fords through the ages. Not exactly what you're looking for but could give you some other ideas/options

And for the mags I suggested, here are the websites
Ford Mustang, Mustang Cobra & Shelby Mustang GT - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine
Ford Mustangs | Mustang GT, Cobra, Saleen & More - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine

Though I've never bought anything from these guys, they have a great rep and their website can give you some idea of what is available to fortify a modern Mustang motor.
Coast High Performance: Ford, Chevy, Stroker Kits, Short Blocks, Long Blocks, Crate Engines

Old 08-12-2011, 02:11 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,596 Likes on 1,301 Posts
'05-'11 "What breaks" out of HRM:

What Break's in 2005-2011 Ford Mustangs - Hot Rod Magazine

Pretty much what the prior posts said.

Transmissions included. Forget truck transmissions BTW.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Sterling Archer
Elder User

If it were me and I were going to build a race only car on a budget...I'd start with a FOX hatch or notch (the lightest option). The 302 engines are dirt cheap and there's an endless supply of aftermarket/upgrade parts.

If you want newer...I'd just get a run of the mill PI head 4.6L GT and build it up.

If money were no object, I would get a 03-04 Cobra and go to town on that. Just my $.02.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:25 PM
trsimmons25
Senior User
Don't forget to look for a marauder as a donor vehicle. I have seen a few of these supercharged and built up pretty stout at the track. That is the mustang cobra motor correct? Or find the 5.4 32 valve out of a lincoln navigator, that would be a bad-*** motor to drop in!

Old 08-12-2011, 08:45 PM
phil6608
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by parkland
Forged internals wear faster, right?
Never heard that one before.
The rods are the first thing to go in the modular motors.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:14 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
I seriously did hear that.

They're stronger, but wear out faster.....

Old 08-12-2011, 11:31 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,596 Likes on 1,301 Posts
This is bit of a blurb on piston materials. Key point is to go forged when you go over 80HP per liter. Older forged pistons with expansion issues might have worn worse or caused wear more than cast, but probably not newer ones:

Forged or Cast? Piston Basics!

Old 08-13-2011, 02:23 AM
phil6608
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by parkland
I seriously did hear that.

They're stronger, but wear out faster.....
You are talking about running boost on this motor, right?

Boost will wear the motor FASTER !

There's a lot of guys that run boost on a stock bottom end. They push it, then push it some more, Blow it up and just drop a built bottom end in.
Hell, I did the same thing.
I haven't been playing with this stuff for 30+ years, so I really don't know much about the old pistons. Only about 6 or 7 years now.

Ford put forged pistons in the gen2 Lightnings. And they put them in the GT500 also.
I don't thing they would put a part in a vehicle,from the factory that wares faster. Do you?

Old 08-31-2011, 03:29 PM
jokerforever
Elder User
Hey bud, did you ever find a car?

Quick Reply: 5.0 v8 vs 351 v8 vs 4.6 v8 vs 5.4 v8