6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

A couple vacation pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 12:29 PM
TrainNut
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple vacation pics

Heya guys. I almost forgot to share a couple vacation pics I took near Durango in June.
First one is an artsy fartsy shot outside of Silverton, CO.

Next one is taken in the parking lot at Molas pass in between Durango and Silverton.

Last one is us trying to cross over Ophir pass from Silverton to Ophir. Had to turn back due to a washout from a LOT of snowmelt. Good thing as I later came to find out that the road was open to the summit but closed from there on to Ophir.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:58 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Very nice! When I lived in AZ, my parents used to drag us up through Silverton and Durango for a weeklong stay in Ouray. We used to rent jeeps to go wheeling and would hike in and around box canyon. I didn't appreciate near as much as I would now, that's for sure. Great pics, thanks for postin' 'em.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:15 PM
dschuffert
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice truck and scenery!

Old 08-05-2011, 01:25 PM
gascan
Laughing Gas
Received 104 Likes on 36 Posts
Great photos!! Thanks for sharing.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:58 PM
TxFordGuy1
Senior User
Great pics! Beautiful out there!

Old 08-05-2011, 03:08 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I used to play Cornet in the Great Western Rocky Mountain Brass Band in Silverton, CO every summer. I almost went back this year but now that I have kids, they start school the same week that the festival is held.

The mining ruins and tours are amazing up there, Silverton is one great place in this country for sure. Thanks for the photos.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:26 PM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Love CO! Such a gorgeous state.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:35 PM
shadowSVT
Senior User
Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts
great pics.
thanks

Old 08-06-2011, 06:43 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,445 Likes on 1,034 Posts
I have traveled that area alot over the years. I do miss it.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:59 PM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Trainnut,
We were camping at the KOA in Ouray the first part of June. We took the train from Silverton to Durango and the bus back to Silverton. We were 2 hours late getting to Durango because the engine hit a rock and tore up the ash pan. It was authentic mountain railroading.

This is the parking area up at Yankee Boy.

On our way down from Yankee Boy to Ouray.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:56 AM
TrainNut
Junior User
Thanks everybody for the comments!
Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet
Very nice! When I lived in AZ, my parents used to drag us up through Silverton and Durango for a weeklong stay in Ouray. We used to rent jeeps to go wheeling and would hike in and around box canyon.
We like to stay up the river from Durango about 15 minutes drive. This summer was my second visit to Box Canyon and them darn catwalks still make my knees turn to rubber... especially that really high one at the very top!
Here is a picture overlooking Ouray for your reminiscing enjoyment.

And a closeup of the falls across the valley.

One from inside Box Canyon looking out.

Originally Posted by ruschejj
The mining ruins and tours are amazing up there,
Yep, we played the part of the tourist and took the 'Ol hundred mine tour. Pretty neat stuff.
Waitin' at the entrance of the mine to start the tour.

Another from inside.

Originally Posted by Tomahawk
Trainnut,
We were camping at the KOA in Ouray the first part of June. We took the train from Silverton to Durango and the bus back to Silverton. We were 2 hours late getting to Durango because the engine hit a rock and tore up the ash pan.
On our way down from Yankee Boy to Ouray.
We were there the second week of June. We rode the train too but only from Rockwood (the Durango side), 45 minutes down into the canyon where we got off at the old resort and spent the day ziplining.
As I mentioned, we were right below Yankee Boy basin but I've never explored up in there. From the pictures, the road looks pretty decent. Decent enough for the truck to go all the way?... or was that reserved for the toys?

Old 08-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
Originally Posted by TrainNut
Thanks everybody for the comments!

We like to stay up the river from Durango about 15 minutes drive. This summer was my second visit to Box Canyon and them darn catwalks still make my knees turn to rubber... especially that really high one at the very top!
Here is a picture overlooking Ouray for your reminiscing enjoyment.

And a closeup of the falls across the valley.

One from inside Box Canyon looking out.

Yep, we played the part of the tourist and took the 'Ol hundred mine tour. Pretty neat stuff.
Waitin' at the entrance of the mine to start the tour.

Another from inside.

We were there the second week of June. We rode the train too but only from Rockwood (the Durango side), 45 minutes down into the canyon where we got off at the old resort and spent the day ziplining.
As I mentioned, we were right below Yankee Boy basin but I've never explored up in there. From the pictures, the road looks pretty decent. Decent enough for the truck to go all the way?... or was that reserved for the toys?
The road to Yankee Boy is very good, I have seen mini vans on that road. I took the pictures of the UTVs just to get an idea of how deep the snow was up there. I was up there twice this year, the first time I left my wife and son in Ouray so they could go shopping, the second time all three of us rode our ATVs. We did not go to Box canyon this year. I have to ask, how was the Tall Timber zip lines? We debated going there, but when we found out it was five and a half hours long, we decided to pass.

Here are a few more pics of the road to Yankee Boy.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:21 AM
TrainNut
Junior User
Originally Posted by Tomahawk
I have to ask, how was the Tall Timber zip lines? We debated going there, but when we found out it was five and a half hours long, we decided to pass.
The zip lines were absolutely incredible! A bit on the pricey side, but in my opinion, worth every penny. They treat each and every person like a VIP and nothing is lost in the details. You start the day off with some short spans and then as the day moves on, they get longer and longer. You break for lunch to eat up on some platforms that hang out over the river a little bit. After lunch, the zip lines cross the river multiple times with one of the last and longest runs being 1,400 feet with speeds up to 35mph depending on the head wind coming down the river. This year, the whole family got to participate as my 6 year old was too small last year.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:09 PM
Tomahawk
Postmaster
OK, I'm convinced, it will be on next years agenda.