1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

VSS Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 09:27 PM
kupiec20
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
changed out the pigtail last year and all was good. til this year and its doing it again.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:18 AM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by joe_13894
If it keeps acting up it may be time to change out the speedometer module.
Are you talking about the PSOM or the instrument cluster? I wasn't aware the PSOM was a replaceable unit. I thought the entire instrument cluster would need to be replaced. While we're on the subject, where is the PSOM located? I thought it was integrated into the instrument cluster. Can the PSOM be tested in the driveway or does it need to be sent somewhere back East?

Originally Posted by stevorino
I have the factory manual. I will check it out this weekend.
I'm interested in what the book says, too. Does the VSS signal go to the PSOM first, then the PCM or the PCM first and then the PSOM?

Originally Posted by RÖENTGEEP
Jus a question is your third brake light working?.
I'm curious about this question, too. What does the third brake light have to do with the VSS issue?

Old 08-08-2011, 03:31 AM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
If the speedo continuously acts up, I would take a look at the tone ring on the ring gear in the rear axle. Put the rear axle on jack stands, put the truck in neutral. Pull the VSS and rotate the driveshaft. Inspect the tone ring while you rotate it. If it's got teeth missing, it will cause the speedo jumping, tranny problems etc. And the down side is if the tone ring is chewed up, there is only one thing that will do that.......broken gears.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:02 AM
stevorino
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't had a chance to look at the manual. Been working all weekend. I understand that the brake switch circuit runs through the 3rd brake light and then to the pcm.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:57 PM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
RD, I hope that's not the case for me. I'll be taking a look this weekend.

Thanks for the info Steve. I'm gonna go check my third brake light right now.

The bulb is not functioning. If this fixes my problem, I'll be amazed. Gotta get ready for work, so I'll see if I have a replacement bulb to install.

Last edited by IDMooseMan; 08-09-2011 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Third brake light checked
Old 08-10-2011, 09:18 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by stevorino
I haven't had a chance to look at the manual. Been working all weekend. I understand that the brake switch circuit runs through the 3rd brake light and then to the pcm.
Did you fix the third brake light and you problem went?

Originally Posted by IDMooseMan
RD, I hope that's not the case for me. I'll be taking a look this weekend.

Thanks for the info Steve. I'm gonna go check my third brake light right now.

The bulb is not functioning. If this fixes my problem, I'll be amazed. Gotta get ready for work, so I'll see if I have a replacement bulb to install.
Let me know please.

Craig you asked if the PSOM was integrated in the instrument cluster , yes it is ,but its an independent part that can be replaceable. I think there are some companies that can test and fix it but I dont remember which ones, sorry, Ill try to find the info. for you.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:01 AM
stevorino
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is definitely shifting better, but the truck is really sluggish. That may have something to do with the sticking brake caliper. I just rolled 210,000 miles, so it seems like I'm finding new things all the time. Don't you wonder what the engineer was thinking that put this part of the wiring system together?

Old 08-10-2011, 11:43 AM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by RÖENTGEEP
Did you fix the third brake light and you problem went?

Let me know please.

Craig you asked if the PSOM was integrated in the instrument cluster , yes it is ,but its an independent part that can be replaceable. I think there are some companies that can test and fix it but I dont remember which ones, sorry, Ill try to find the info. for you.

I had very similar happen to me, replaced the vss when it was actually happening and no difference. pulled my instrument cluster out and local dealer sent it to a company to test and fix. Well they said the psom was no good but couldn't fix it because the parts aren't made anymore. Ended up getting a used cluster. hasn't done it since, been 8 months maybe. If there is a place that can fix them I would like to know and may have my original fixed.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:38 PM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
I bought a used cluster awhile back, but haven't installed it or had it tested because IDK where to take it for testing.

Does anyone have a photo of the PSOM? Maybe a photo of its location in the cluster?

If I can swap it into my current cluster, that would be good, but the PSOM stores the odometer reading doesn't it? If I'm right about that, I might as well install the other cluster, if it tests good (if I can find a place to test it).

Old 08-10-2011, 04:47 PM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

My original cluster has a sticker and says to call Ford electronics with a phone number

Old 08-10-2011, 05:26 PM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
That is a great photo, Jim. I'm adding the phone number to my phone right now.

Thanks.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:46 PM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

Your welcome. Like I said I was told parts aren't available anymore. IDK.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:38 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Wink

I bought a used cluster awhile back, but haven't installed it or had it tested because IDK where to take it for testing.

Does anyone have a photo of the PSOM? Maybe a photo of its location in the cluster?

If I can swap it into my current cluster, that would be good, but the PSOM stores the odometer reading doesn't it? If I'm right about that, I might as well install the other cluster, if it tests good (if I can find a place to test it).
The PSOM is integrated in the central part of the cluster (the odo behind the white part), look this pic, maybe helps you. And I found the company that repairs them
Speedometer & Gauge Repair - Home

Attached Images  
Old 08-10-2011, 06:44 PM
wildstang
VT Chapter Ldr

I almost think I called them but maybe not. Maybe I will try it tomorrow

Old 08-10-2011, 07:00 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Lightbulb

Yes it stores the odo reading and according to the law if you put another one it has to match your mileage, and till I know that company can match them. You just can change just the odo and see what happens.

Quick Reply: VSS Problem?