1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Speaker grille

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 05:37 PM
OldHarley
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speaker grille

Well, I finally got my stock AM radio on my '66 repaired and bought a new dash speaker.

Followed an article that nonoodlez authored and was able to get the radio working after buying a .39 cent and a .49 cent capacitor, with the help of a buddy of mine that can repair electrical devices.

So, now the radio works, and I have mounted the speaker, but I still need the speaker grille that fits the top of the dash.

I am at a loss on where to find one. So, I'll ask if anyone is out there that has one for sale? Give me a shout if you do. Thanks

Old 08-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Bill W
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
do you have a steel or padded dash? steel dashes did not have a grill. well... mine did not have one.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:06 PM
OldHarley
Elder User
Bill,

I have '66 Custom Cab with a steel dash.

It does have speaker grille slots cut into the metal dash above the radio, and two of the grille slots have a slightly larger rounded opening at either end to accommodate the 4 screw speaker (and grille?) attachment.

Now, I have seen photos on the forum of speaker grilles used in conjunction with the metal dash, and my dash bears the imprint of the edges of a former grille in it's paint.

Even so, my speaker is currently mounted to the dash without using a separate grille, but I think the round-head screws I used look a little strange.

However, if you know of someone that has a grille, I believe I can use it .

Old 08-01-2011, 10:36 PM
Bill W
Hotshot
Garbz has a nice Chrome one at his house! but its for azratrods build... :-) lol

maybe Dave or Eric has one, i will ask.... i have one but its not an original piece.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:58 PM
C G B
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I plan on closing the speaker hole in my dash. Anyone have any pics of what Greg is looking for so I know if its the right thing? I could probably part with mine.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:21 PM
Bill W
Hotshot
i have a pic of the speaker grill from my 63

Attached Images  
Old 08-01-2011, 11:39 PM
CropDusterMan
Elder User
Only the trucks with Dash pads had a speaker grille cover, otherwise, it was the slats in the steel
dash...I had a dash pad, removed it (was cracked up)and decided to re-install the grille for the
radio...to me, it's 6 or 1/2 a dozen on what looks better.

Jason

Old 08-01-2011, 11:55 PM
OldHarley
Elder User
Originally Posted by C G B
I plan on closing the speaker hole in my dash. Anyone have any pics of what Greg is looking for so I know if its the right thing? I could probably part with mine.
I just happen to have an image I downloaded off this forum some time ago of a dash with the speaker grille installed on a CC.

In this case the dash in the image is padded while mine is not, but it is the same stamped steel grille as on the non-padded (steel) dashes.

and, I am hoping you could be convinced to part with yours.

Cropdusterdude, If a grille is not installed on a metal dash, you have the problem of screw heads that don't look exactly right sticking up above the dash. With grille they are not as noticeable, or at least thats what I think. Although, as I understand the grills were not painted to match the dash, but were only black or chrome according to some posters. I may need to paint it red, to get it to be less obvious.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:39 AM
CropDusterMan
Elder User
Hey Greg,

There are lots of tapered screws available that I've seen that would work well...
I went out a minute ago and snapped a photo of mine...I have photos of dash
pad removal in my albums too. I painted mine silver after wire-wheeling it, and I
like the look on my tan colored dash.

Jason

Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2011, 09:46 AM
C G B
More Turbo
Greg, Im 95% certain that is what I have. I need to find it though, as all that stuff is in storage for the moment. Let me dig it up. Its yours if I find it. Mine is black with a little surface rust on it. I should know by the weekend.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:23 AM
OldHarley
Elder User
C G B,

That would be great! Let me know

Cropduster, Your dash looks great and I am guessing it is metal like mine.

Just for comparison, I took one of the dash w/o grille. You can see the screws don't look right. I tried a tapered head screw and it looked kinda funny, but did set lower in the metal slot. Still, not right. Had it been that way from the factory it would have fit better in my opinion.

My dash does have the edge imprint of a speaker grille cover visible in the paint, but it's hard to see in the photo, so I'm hoping to go that way.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:20 PM
C G B
More Turbo
I have a steel dash and the hole for mine is just a single hole roughly 3.5" across with 4 screw holes, but definitely has the look of the pic Jason posted above.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:43 PM
65jim
Senior User
Originally Posted by OldHarley
C G B,

That would be great! Let me know

Cropduster, Your dash looks great and I am guessing it is metal like mine.

Just for comparison, I took one of the dash w/o grille. You can see the screws don't look right. I tried a tapered head screw and it looked kinda funny, but did set lower in the metal slot. Still, not right. Had it been that way from the factory it would have fit better in my opinion.

My dash does have the edge imprint of a speaker grille cover visible in the paint, but it's hard to see in the photo, so I'm hoping to go that way.

Here's the way 3 65s I've had came.A truck with a metal dash could have came with a speaker grill, especially if the radio was dealer installed on a dash without the slots.This is a factory grill I pulled out of a junker.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:29 PM
nonoodlez
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Greg,

I am really happy that my post helped you out with your radio!

Old 08-02-2011, 11:23 PM
Buzz44
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is the dash speaker cover out of my 65. How you see it in the pic is just how it came off my truck. When I reinstall the speaker in the truck I am going to use some sort of rubber bushing to isolate the speaker from the dash.

Sorry Old Harley I dont have a spare. I sent my last one out a few months ago.

Quick Reply: Speaker grille