Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 12:45 PM
robbobvila
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck is not getting gas

Hey guys,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comFONT]
<o></o>
I'm new posting to this forum but have been reading on and off over the years. I hope someone can help me.<o></o>
I have a 66 F100 that I have to poor gas into the carb to get in started but once started runs fine. I checked the fuel pump by disconnecting the fuel line from the carb and gas comes out when you try to start the truck. I’m having trouble understanding why no gas is being pumped to carb before I can start it but once I pour gas into the carb and start it, the accelerator allows me to rev the engine with no issues.<o></o>
Any help would be greatly appreciated.<o></o>
1966 f100 352 3 speed with 4 barrel Edelbrock<o></o>
<o></o>
Thanks, <o></o>
Rob<o></o>

Old 07-30-2011, 01:25 PM
huckdeuceman
Senior User
Sounds like the fuel filter is plugged up? see if there is a filter at or before the carb and replace'' also could be a stuck float needle making it not pull gas into the floatbowl?
hope this helps!!

Old 07-30-2011, 02:02 PM
robbobvila
Freshman User
Originally Posted by huckdeuceman
Sounds like the fuel filter is plugged up? see if there is a filter at or before the carb and replace'' also could be a stuck float needle making it not pull gas into the floatbowl?
hope this helps!!

Thanks for your quick response. The needles were stuck but have been cleaned and are now moving freely. The fuel filter, near the fuel pump, has not been changed since gas is getting to the carb while running. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
Can the carb pump be bad? Once pouring gas directly into carb the truck will start. <o></o>
Will the truck continue to run from suction alone or does the carb pump need to work to be able to use the accelerator? Once started the truck can be revved as high as you want it to, making me think that the carb pump is working while truck is running. When you turn the truck off and try to restart it, it will not start and no fuel will pump into the carb.<o></o>

Old 07-30-2011, 05:15 PM
KO1960
Laughing Gas
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
I am in the process of going through my fuel system. I have been told that it is possible for the rubber hoses to have a hole in them, which causes air to be introduced in the system. Try starting the truck with the top of the carb removed to see if gas is coming in and the floats are working properly. You can set your wet level in the carb at that point.

Kurt

Old 07-30-2011, 05:46 PM
huckdeuceman
Senior User
Check to see if your accelarator pump is working'' With engine off, look down inside the carb and push the throttle open, you should see a squirt of fuel going into the carb? if not, then you may need to adjust the pump? I think you said it was a Edelbrock carb?
should be able to google it and find out how to adjust? I'm a holley man myself so don't know a lot about the Edelbrocks, but they have to have an accelarator pump!
PS, it could also be that your curb idle is to low and it won't idle, just stops when you let off the throttle?..adjust curb idle up!

Old 07-30-2011, 09:10 PM
63' f100
Elder User
It sounds like everything just needs to be cleaned. Replace the rubber lines, replace the filter and rebuild the carb. It probably needs all that anyway and its cheap to do.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:40 PM
shortwide
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like crud in your fuel system....probably in the tank. The only real solution for that is to remove the tank and clean it out real good.

There's an outside chance that you could have an accelerator pump issue, but my inclination is a dirty fuel supply.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:05 PM
robbobvila
Freshman User
huckdeuceman,
Fuel is not squirting into the carb while the engine is running or when the truck is turned off.

I went to order a rebuild kit for Edelbrock 1405 but different part numbers where coming up. I decided to call Edelbrock and explained the issue to the tech. He said it was either the accelerator pump or the check ball. When I had the carb apart the other day, the pump looked to be in good condition. He also told me that the correct rebuild kit for the Edelbrock 1405 was the 1477 rebuild kit. This evening I will look at the check ball and clean it with carb cleaner as he recommended and see if this resolves my issue. If this does not resolve my issue, I’m going to order the rebuild kit 1477 for about $40 and have this issue resolved next week after the kit comes in.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:43 PM
PawPaw's '66
Freshman User
I had the same the problem and my trouble was the line in the tank was clogged. Good luck..

Old 08-01-2011, 05:35 PM
Jetcopterpilot
Posting Guru
Just a Thought! My truck had 3 fuel tanks, one in cab, and 2 saddle tanks under the bed... those had been removed due to leaks by the PO. there was on the floor of my truck, and small lever that was under the left(driver side) of the seat, that switched fuel tanks by way of a valve under the cab... not all trucks have this, but check and see... if you have one. If so, bypass it, the hoses are under the cab, and a hose coupling will be a quick fix... Mine was drawing air, with the engine running, and dripping fuel ever so slightly when the engine was off... it caused it to sputter and stall. follow the fuel line back from the fuel pump, and see if that valve is under the cab. Just a thought!

Old 08-02-2011, 09:21 AM
huckdeuceman
Senior User
Robbobvilla''
Sounds like your heading in the right direction! these carbs will go bad pretty quick
if not run for a while'' good luck with the rebuild and should be OK, also check the whole fuel system to make sure there is no crud going to mess up the new carb!
like everyone said, these old trucks are well, old,lol...

Old 08-02-2011, 11:17 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
If already have not done so, like to take the opportunity to welcome you to the Family of Ford Truck Enthusiast!! Sounds like members have covered all the bases but anther suggestion, and possibly a shot in the dark, had simular problem with 65 when member suggested I take a pressure hose and apply air thru the fuel filler neck. If decide to try use caution, don't want to apply too much pressure. Again, welcome to FTE and keep us posted on outcome. Looking forward to your input and suggestions.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Jetcopterpilot
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by daveengelson
If already have not done so, like to take the opportunity to welcome you to the Family of Ford Truck Enthusiast!! Sounds like members have covered all the bases but anther suggestion, and possibly a shot in the dark, had simular problem with 65 when member suggested I take a pressure hose and apply air thru the fuel filler neck. If decide to try use caution, don't want to apply too much pressure. Again, welcome to FTE and keep us posted on outcome. Looking forward to your input and suggestions.

I took air pressure and applied it to the fuel line after detaching it from the fuel pump, and back washed the entire fuel line system towards the tank. right after I got my truck.. to make sure there was nothing in it.. But loosen or remove the gas tank cap first or you will build pressure, and then have a gas fountain after you stop applying air pressure. only use about 20 psi, so you don't pop any fittings loose, or burst the hose..

Old 08-02-2011, 12:00 PM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When you do the carb, the squirters become clogged and underneath the nozzles is a weight and check ball. Watch for that part, easy to lose it if you don't know it's there. My squirter nozzle and passage back to accelerator pump were clogged.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:05 PM
shortwide
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jetcopterpilot
I took air pressure and applied it to the fuel line after detaching it from the fuel pump, and back washed the entire fuel line system towards the tank. right after I got my truck.. to make sure there was nothing in it.. But loosen or remove the gas tank cap first or you will build pressure, and then have a gas fountain after you stop applying air pressure. only use about 20 psi, so you don't pop any fittings loose, or burst the hose..
I did the same thing....didn't remove the gas cap the first time....and yes, I had the aforementioned gasoline fountain.....felt like a doofus.

Quick Reply: Truck is not getting gas