Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Ford V6 > 2.6, 2.8, 2.9, 4.0 & SOHC 4.0 V6
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Posting Guru

351Cleveland C4 has a good reputation on FTE.351Cleveland C4 has a good reputation on FTE.351Cleveland C4 has a good reputation on FTE.
94 ranger 4.0 overheating

the 4.0 in my 94 ranger keeps overheating, ive replaced the thermostat, fan, fanclutch, flushed the rad., just about everything i know to do,, the engine doesnt do it constantley, just when its being worked, heres another interesting fact, when its hot and i shut it down, it sputters when i start it up again after a few minutes,, stock motor with 109,000. it never used to do this, i mean it never even used to get "warm". i need some help to get this fixed..
Old 07-26-2011, 04:27 PM
Postmaster

xlt4wd90 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Eliminating all other causes, it may be a leaking head gasket. Does it push coolant into the overflow tank? Do you smell exhaust or fuel in the radiator?
Old 08-11-2011, 05:58 PM
New User

hellcat120 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351Cleveland C4 View Post
the 4.0 in my 94 ranger keeps overheating, ive replaced the thermostat, fan, fanclutch, flushed the rad., just about everything i know to do,, the engine doesnt do it constantley, just when its being worked, heres another interesting fact, when its hot and i shut it down, it sputters when i start it up again after a few minutes,, stock motor with 109,000. it never used to do this, i mean it never even used to get "warm". i need some help to get this fixed..
I had a similar problem with my 4.0 I finally broke down and had the radiator flow tested and it was only flowing about 40%. It's worth a try
Old 10-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Freshman User

Pennypincher is starting off with a positive reputation.
We had the same problem with our 91. Replaced radiator and head gaskets. It then popped a freeze plug. I'm in FL and this truck has never had an overheating problem until now. Original 96K miles on this 4X4. We have owned it from day one
Old 12-02-2012, 02:14 PM
New User

hotbob300 is starting off with a positive reputation.
hot exploror

hey 351 clevland c4. i have the same problem with my 93 exploror 4.0. i have replaced radiator,water pump,thermostat,and have added a 2 speed electric fan. i can run around town all day with no problem,but when i hook up my 16 ft fishing boat, and go somewere, i have no problem till i come home and shut the motor down, and get the boat unhooked. then when i start it up again, it doesn't want to start, and when it does it runs really bad for a while, like it's not fireing on all 6 clyinders. then it smooths out and seems to be fine. i pulled the plugs, and there all the same, whitesh looking. took comprssion test all cylinders. 170lbs. i'm thinking about doing a valve job, and having the heads checked for cracks, although i don't seem to be losing any big loss in water.if anyone out there has any suggestions, i sure would appreciate them. i really like my exploror limited 4 wheel drive, it's in wonderfull shape. i will replace engine if i have to.than's bob.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:49 PM
Posting Guru

351Cleveland C4 has a good reputation on FTE.351Cleveland C4 has a good reputation on FTE.351Cleveland C4 has a good reputation on FTE.
it hasnt done it in quite a while now, although it still runs warmer in the summer time.
heres something else, the temp guage will peg and fall down or just move up and down quickly, sometimes.
i think its probably the sensor, but it hasnt done that lately either..

when im off roading and snorting around out in the desert it will get warm too. i think it definatley might be a radiator flow problem.
years ago, the guage would never even come fully into the normal range no matter how hard we were pushing it. is that not normal? there was only one time that it got hot, when we pulled a 10,000lb trailer 100 miles up the mountains.. had it in 1st gear floored doin maybe 15mph for a couple miles at a time.. hahaha,,, it got hot that time....
Old 03-19-2014, 07:15 AM
Elder User

benshere is starting off with a positive reputation.
I know this thread is a little old, but it is similar to my prob on a 93 aerostar 4.0. Guage does the same. Fixing to do water pump/thermostat/sensor/check connections. Indication is that pump or thermostat is not functioning/opening. Will first check new Thermostat by hanging in a pot of water on stove w/ temp guage. I see several posts where a thermostat change does not seem to help. I have been bitten by that one several times, until I found out that even new thermostats can be bad. I always check new ones now. No apparent water leaks anywhere, including the tailpipe.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:15 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Ford V6 > 2.6, 2.8, 2.9, 4.0 & SOHC 4.0 V6

Tags
40, 4o, 94, ac, b4000, conversion, electric, fan, ford, overheating, problems, ranger, sohc, thermostat, v6