Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck died on freeway

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 05:39 PM
TheWhiteBeast
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Truck died on freeway

Two days ago my truck died on the way to work. It would just crank and crank so here I am figuring it's the stupid fuel pump again. So I check the fuel rail, voila there is pressure. After work and driving my mustang I come back, stick the key in...fires right up. Then today I go out to start it and nothing. Power comes on, fuel pump primes, doesn't even kick. On the 4th turn of the ignition it starts. What could this be? While my motor is being built in my Bullitt I have to drive this stinking thing lol.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:46 PM
KevinGnWV
The village idiot.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheWhiteBeast
Two days ago my truck died on the way to work. It would just crank and crank so here I am figuring it's the stupid fuel pump again. So I check the fuel rail, voila there is pressure. After work and driving my mustang I come back, stick the key in...fires right up. Then today I go out to start it and nothing. Power comes on, fuel pump primes, doesn't even kick. On the 4th turn of the ignition it starts. What could this be? While my motor is being built in my Bullitt I have to drive this stinking thing lol.
Mine has quit a few times recently and won't start every so often. I have narrowed it down to the coil. It seems as though if I tap on it, then it starts. Could be coincidence though but so far it's worked all 4 times.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:56 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts
You need to narrow it down to missing spark or fuel. A simple push on the fuel rail valve does not give you much to go on.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:46 PM
Marine5811
Elder User
Is your starter turning when you turn your key?

Old 07-20-2011, 07:06 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
TheWhiteBeast,
My guess would be a bad PIP sensor (stator) but you need to see what codes you have in the computer memory (CM) with the self-test.

KevinGnWV,
I would take a close look at the plug that plugs onto the coil in your case. It has a habit of doing that.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:16 PM
TheWhiteBeast
Elder User
Well today it didn't kick the starter when I turned the key

Old 07-20-2011, 07:17 PM
TheWhiteBeast
Elder User
Could it be a bad ignition switch?

Old 07-20-2011, 07:29 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts
That is very likely.

But make sure the small push-on wire at the starter relay on the fender is not hot when you turn the key first.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:45 PM
KevinGnWV
The village idiot.

Originally Posted by subford
TheWhiteBeast,
My guess would be a bad PIP sensor (stator) but you need to see what codes you have in the computer memory (CM) with the self-test.

KevinGnWV,
I would take a close look at the plug that plugs onto the coil in your case. It has a habit of doing that.
I'm thinking your right on. I wiggle the connection and bang on the coil and it starts so that may be the problem. Funny thing is, I had an engine put in about 1000 miles ago and got a CEL every so often with some engine hesitation and twice it just shut down on me. On the way home from the beach, it came on again but instead of stopping the truck and restarting it, I just kept rolling. I went to pass a truck and it shook the whole truck like 3 times and I thought it was going to quit but the CEL went out and it took off and smoothed out. Since then however, I haven't had a CEL in 2 weeks but now it does this where it won't start.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:58 PM
bykrmom
Senior User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have to agree with this one too, even though the coil is a good candidate and worth looking into.

When I bought my truck, it ran great, and I drove it all over. Then one day I came out of a fast food joint and started it, and it died. I started it again, and it ran great, so I backed out of the parking spot and it died again. I ended up having to hold the key a little bit toward start all the way home.

On further inspection, the ignition switch was bad. When I took it off the column to replace it, it fell into parts in my hand. I couldn't believe it had worked to get me home!

Once I put the new one in, it was fine (until my fuel pump on the frame let me down a few days later).

Old 07-21-2011, 05:50 AM
TheWhiteBeast
Elder User
I believe they changed the ignition switches. I know it used to be that rod attached to the ignition that moved back and forth but I looked in there and didn't see anything like that. I did put an MSD coil off my buddys mustang on there not that long ago.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:57 AM
KevinGnWV
The village idiot.

I believe they changed the ignition switches. I know it used to be that rod attached to the ignition that moved back and forth but I looked in there and didn't see anything like that. I did put an MSD coil off my buddys mustang on there not that long ago.
Yeah I'm getting an MSD coil cap and rotor. I already have some 8mm wires to complete what I need to do the ignition timing upgrade.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:29 AM
TheWhiteBeast
Elder User
How do you do the self test?

Old 07-21-2011, 07:31 AM
KevinGnWV
The village idiot.

How do you do the self test?
Ford Fuel Injection » How To Run a Self-Test

Old 07-21-2011, 07:43 AM
TheWhiteBeast
Elder User
Right now I am thinking I am having an ignition switch problem. I bought a new fuel pressure regulator but the one on the truck looks new. I bought all new dist cap (with the brass terminals) and spark plugs, wires are still good. I am getting my Bullitt torn down for a 5.0 stroker next week so I need this truck to run.

Quick Reply: Truck died on freeway