6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis
Old 11-12-2014, 04:04 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Coolant System Guides
Print Wikipost

Radiators once again covered if you have a rad hose o-ring leaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 10:15 AM
aggiect01
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My father bought the F150 FX2 5.0 and I got the FX4 Ecoboost. It will be good to compare the two trucks over time. So far first fill up wasn't great. 15.5 for mine and 17.5 for his. About 50/50 city highway.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:56 AM
JcF204
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well it is my turn, came out of the garage this morning, two puddles under my truck...

It was dark but the fluid felt slippery, though I didn't notice the usual radiator smell. I can't wait to see what my local dealer does here...

08 F350 67k.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:11 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by JcF204
Well it is my turn, came out of the garage this morning, two puddles under my truck...

It was dark but the fluid felt slippery, though I didn't notice the usual radiator smell. I can't wait to see what my local dealer does here...

08 F350 67k.
Confirmed fluid loss at the degas bottle?

Old 06-07-2012, 09:15 AM
aggiect01
Senior User
This is ridiculous. It's one thing if you beat the hell out of your truck or modify every stock part but this radiator problem should be cause forradiator a recall. I was about to be on my 4th radiator in 83k miles. My 084th F350 V-10 was built toward the end of 07 and has no issues to date. I guess it's only with the diesels.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:44 AM
JcF204
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix
Confirmed fluid loss at the degas bottle?
Still waiting to hear back from them on the problem, I did change the Cap a few months ago.

Update! They called as I am writing this. The main radiator is bad, my extended warranty will cover the radiator minus $100 deductible, but they don't cover the antifreeze, how silly is that?

They wanted me to change out the hoses on top and bottom for another $560, but I couldn't swing that right now. After all said and done I am looking at $390 for parts and labor, this includes a oil and filter change while it is in there.

I asked the SW about the o-ring coverage on the hoses and he said it only covered the thermostat o-ring...

Very confusing sometimes...

Old 06-21-2012, 09:25 PM
abubba1
Freshman User
The Radiator demon claims another victory......

My 2008 Superduty 4X4 Lariat Crew Cab short bed with 31K miles starting leaking from the radiator seam after dragging my fifth wheel trailer through the TN mountains last week. This truck is only used to pull my 13K pound 35' Carri-Lite fifth wheel travel trailer and is not a daily Walmart runner. Bought the truck new 12/2007 and have never had any problems with it until today. Took it by my local Ford Dealer where I bought it and they are taking care of it under Ford Warranty, per a TSB,, no questions asked. They gave me a rental car and told me it would be ready tomorrow afternoon for pickup. They are changing out the radiator, hoses, degas bottle, and bottle cap a per a TSB issued by Ford Motor Co and all parts are in stock. I hope this takes care of the problem and I don't have repeat leaks such as some have written about in this thread. I can't understand why Ford can't seem to get this problem resolved. But, I still have my old reliable back-up tow truck, 1997 F-250HD 7.3 Diesel 4X4 XLT extend cab short bed beauty. I bought it new in 10/1997 and now has 160K showing on the odometer. Never been to the shop for any repair what so ever. Not near as powerful as the 2008 6.4 but still drives and looks great. I just wish Ford would look back and try to duplicate what they did right back then and make it better, not worse. It's also good to have a dealer that cares about it's customers and keeps up with TSB's.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:37 AM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by abubba1
My 2008 Superduty 4X4 Lariat Crew Cab short bed with 31K miles starting leaking from the radiator seam after dragging my fifth wheel trailer through the TN mountains last week. This truck is only used to pull my 13K pound 35' Carri-Lite fifth wheel travel trailer and is not a daily Walmart runner. Bought the truck new 12/2007 and have never had any problems with it until today. Took it by my local Ford Dealer where I bought it and they are taking care of it under Ford Warranty, per a TSB,, no questions asked. They gave me a rental car and told me it would be ready tomorrow afternoon for pickup. They are changing out the radiator, hoses, degas bottle, and bottle cap a per a TSB issued by Ford Motor Co and all parts are in stock. I hope this takes care of the problem and I don't have repeat leaks such as some have written about in this thread. I can't understand why Ford can't seem to get this problem resolved. But, I still have my old reliable back-up tow truck, 1997 F-250HD 7.3 Diesel 4X4 XLT extend cab short bed beauty. I bought it new in 10/1997 and now has 160K showing on the odometer. Never been to the shop for any repair what so ever. Not near as powerful as the 2008 6.4 but still drives and looks great. I just wish Ford would look back and try to duplicate what they did right back then and make it better, not worse. It's also good to have a dealer that cares about it's customers and keeps up with TSB's.

Ford is still installing **** poor designed radiators in the 11 and 12 models, never owned a vehicle which needed a radiator since the 60's until last year when my 08 needed one.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:26 AM
Finz250
Junior User
Help Please!!! I replaced the rad in my 6.4 (which Ive only had a year) in feb of this year. Had to pay out of pocket. Decided to safe guard myself and purchased a premium care warranty good thru July 2014. Well another coolant leak this week and it turns out to be a bad hose which Im being told isnt covered. $400 to replace. Does this sound correct???

Old 07-25-2012, 11:41 AM
aggiect01
Senior User
It sounds like a huge load of B.S. to me but about right from the runaround I received from ford also. If you are under 100,000 miles I would try to get your money back for the radiator. Worst case scenario I would replace a hose yourself.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:55 AM
Finz250
Junior User
Get this - I asked if I paid to have the hoses replaced and the rad goes bad 6 months from now - would it be covered under my PREMIUM ESP? I was told if the rad failed and the cause was deemed to be faulty hoses then NO! This from ford customer care and my service manager!!!

Old 07-25-2012, 12:39 PM
aggiect01
Senior User
I was told the same thing by a ford service rep. I could pay 350 dollars to have the hose replaced but if the radiator failed after the hose was replaced it would not be covered. He recommended that I wait until the hose caused the radiator to fail and then ford would cover them both.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:23 PM
MeanGreenBean
New User
At the risk of reviving an old thread vs starting a new one (don't kill me straight out); I lurk more than i post.

I have come to the point to where today was my last warranty day! Took my truck in tuesday (earlier this week) to have diagnostics and a warranty repair of a pulley tensioner and come to find out Rad has a hole in it w/no fluid in rad or degas bottle and no thrown codes. They want 1300 to 1400 to fix it (which i don't currently have). Come to tonight, my last day of warranty and they tell me "O and i forgot to mention your upper rad hose was leaking too at the o-ring its not covered under warranty." Ford customer service (just off the phone) says the same thing, not under warranty. Looking up the TSB 11-12-04 and reading numerous posts here and else where the upper rad hose should be covered, and rad as well. Am i missing anything and just being lead by the reins, is it at discretion of the dealer, help me understand this please. 08 F250 91555 miles... POST #1!

Old 11-12-2012, 04:25 PM
1Bad08
New User
2008 radiators

these radiators are a big pain I am seeing all over now! that i am having the same problem great! I have a 2008 F350 6.4never seen rain or snow its my caddilac. Only has 4780 miles and rad. leaking called dealer told about problem said it wasnt covererd. told him about all the research i did about tsb s then he said let me look,he said if he followed tsb and it shown to be therm or rad. orings it would be covererd with a hundred dollar deduc. i have seen on here where people are saying you dont have to pay that .I guess investagating continues !!! it stinks i love this truck but after seeing all the rad. problems 1 2 3 rads i dont want to go though that.what to do?????????????????????

Old 11-12-2012, 05:32 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by 1Bad08
these radiators are a big pain I am seeing all over now! that i am having the same problem great! I have a 2008 F350 6.4never seen rain or snow its my caddilac. Only has 4780 miles and rad. leaking called dealer told about problem said it wasnt covererd. told him about all the research i did about tsb s then he said let me look,he said if he followed tsb and it shown to be therm or rad. orings it would be covererd with a hundred dollar deduc. i have seen on here where people are saying you dont have to pay that .I guess investagating continues !!! it stinks i love this truck but after seeing all the rad. problems 1 2 3 rads i dont want to go though that.what to do?????????????????????
Just an FYI no deductable as of 2008 model year.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:40 PM
aggiect01
Senior User
That is complete b.s. Ford clearly knows that there is a serious design flaw with the radiator or plumbing and is trying to find a way out of paying. The only solution may be a class action lawsuit. They paid for my first 2 replacements after giving me some trouble and were about to cover my third but wanted to the leak ti cause failure of the radiator first

Quick Reply: Radiators once again covered if you have a rad hose o-ring leaking