Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 10:11 PM
jejdavis
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch problem

In my 92 I was driving and just lost my clutch, I just bought the truck and the slave cylinder was replaced just before I bought it. I don't know a lot about hydraulic clutches but it all leaked out from the bellhousing. Is it my slave cylinder again?

Old 07-19-2011, 10:18 PM
93 mix 'n match
Posting Guru
im no expert, but thats what happened on my 93 w/ M5OD.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:04 AM
Bowtie_Schmowtie
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
DITTO!!

I'm having the same issue with mine...and like yours, the slave cylinder was supposedly replaced shortly before I bought it. I have heard that this can happen if the hydraulic line is not properly connected to the slave cylinder...something about the connector being a pain to get on right.That is my next project, so I would be very interested to know if it can be resolved without removing the transmission. I took out the inspection plug and looked at the slave cylinder with a flashlight...it does indeed look pretty new.I am definitely interested in knowing if this is common with some replacement slave cylinders, so I will know what to avoid if I have to get a new one.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:39 AM
rquinlans
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
common problem , these slaves are notorious for failing , you'll probably see the fluid oozing from the part of the slave that mounts to the transmission.
Thats why all of us get so good at pulling the tranny on these trucks. If you have any doubts on the clutch itself replace it while you have the tranny out because Murphy will usually trash your clutch about 4 weeks after you replace the slave.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:45 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
And this is what happens when you buy cheap replacement parts made in china.

The Ford slave cylinder lasted for twenty years without failure. The cheap import part lasted six months. I'll just pause here and let you figure out what you need to do.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:28 PM
Bowtie_Schmowtie
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by andym
And this is what happens when you buy cheap replacement parts made in china.

The Ford slave cylinder lasted for twenty years without failure. The cheap import part lasted six months. I'll just pause here and let you figure out what you need to do.
I did some checking last night and I think that there are two different styles of aftermarket replacement slave cylinders- those with aluminum bodies and those with plastic bodies. The plastic bodies supposedly crack pretty easily.

What would be nice is a kit that allows you to change from the concentric internal style combination slave cylinder and release bearing to an external style slave with a release fork as used on the big bell ZFs and the 4 speeds. Anyone tried this? Sure would make things easier, and probably save some clutch assemblies and/or transmissions!!

I am going over to the Ford dealer tomorrow to check on some center cap retainers, and while I am there I will see if 1.) I can even get a new slave cylinder from them...and 2.) find out how much it will cost me. *shudders*

Old 07-22-2011, 06:56 PM
jejdavis
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bowtie_Schmowtie
I'm having the same issue with mine...and like yours, the slave cylinder was supposedly replaced shortly before I bought it. I have heard that this can happen if the hydraulic line is not properly connected to the slave cylinder...something about the connector being a pain to get on right.That is my next project, so I would be very interested to know if it can be resolved without removing the transmission. I took out the inspection plug and looked at the slave cylinder with a flashlight...it does indeed look pretty new.I am definitely interested in knowing if this is common with some replacement slave cylinders, so I will know what to avoid if I have to get a new one.
i think this is what happened, it looks as if the line going to the slave cylinder isn't on properly, any ideas for how to put it back on the right way? a special tool?