Droopy the Plow Truck gets a Cummins 4BTA.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 11:07 AM
DarrinGT
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Krewat
Who's "droppy"?
Hee, Hee,.
Thanks Guys!

Pics as promised,.

It was an eventful couple of days.

First we had to remove the Drivers side 5.0 motor mount, Since it was riveted to the crossmeber it had to be torched out:

Not a great pic,..but kinda cool,.

Motor mount gone, is the good news,. bad news, need new front brake lines,.LOL

Drivers side 300 6cyl motor stand installed, I did not use a motor stand for the pass side. Just s plate of steel on the top and bottom of the hole in the crossmenber. This is how it was installed in the doner truck, and works for my truck as well.
Installed the Power steering line for the 4bt as well.

Motor hanging and ready to drop in. It has all new battery cables, Ground Cable, and wiring for the starter, and I also installed an new rear main seal. Dang that flywheel is Heavy!,.

In order for us to be able to get the tall 4bt over the fender, I had do drop Droopy down on the front haunches,..a spare set of rims with no tires did the trick.

Got it over and in with no issues,..however I was over confident in the room that I would have with the fan on,.I was wrong, had to remove the fan to drop it in.

Removing the Fan,.On the left my buddy Bill, who is doing a frame off restoration on an early Bronco and installing a 4bt. So he has been watching my swap and was eager to help drop the motor in tonight.
on the right is by buddy Bob Houskamp, He owns the Auto Repair Shop (Houskamps Auto Service) that my Car Lot is connected to. We share the building and I plow both lots so he is willing to give a hand whenever it is needed. Best Mechanic in Michigan!

Only Clearance Issue,.. Apparently when you put in a 4BTA in an 88 F250 the Aftrcooler wants to kiss the Wiper Motor. It does rub a little but I figure a couple of holeshots it will make its way clear,..LOL

Plenty of clearance on the back of the motor.

Passengers Side:

Front side:

Dont let this one scare ya,...Yours Truly:

There is also plenty of room for the Downpipe. Now I will be taking my time over the next couple of days hooking everything up,.stay tuned, I'm getting stoked!

Old 11-04-2011, 08:38 PM
big-ugly
Post Fiend
Lookin' great! Still looking for a 4bt for my project pickup...

Old 11-07-2011, 07:31 PM
DarrinGT
Senior User
Nuther Update,

Got the aftermarket gauges hooked up, belts on , radiator is in, test-fitting the shroud need to make some brackets and come up with radiator hoses.
Lots of wiring getting done,...

Dealing with this wiring tomorrow, All I really need is 3 or 4 (oil pressure, water temp, ignition), wires out of this mess, just need to find them and see what wires I can get rid of:

Now the Exhausting work,....

Here was the downpipe that was from the doer truck. I just need the first elboow:

So from the 3" Elbow to a 3.5" SS Flex Pipe:

Down to a 4" Straight Pipe:

Got the Down pipe installed along with the PYro Probe, now I can get that gauge hooked up:

From under the truck, Plenty of room for the 3.5" Down pipe:

This is as far as I got, Need to get rid of the 3" System, then go from there,..

Thats it for now,..

Old 11-08-2011, 06:44 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Very cool project, glad I stumbled onto this thread this morning.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:02 AM
DarrinGT
Senior User
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
Very cool project, glad I stumbled onto this thread this morning.

Cool thanks!

Well I had a setback today, The motor has to come back out,..Got the clutch bled and it blew the slave cylinder and it is leaking bad,..it needs to get replaced.

Just part of the fun,,....

Old 11-08-2011, 03:02 PM
DarrinGT
Senior User
The motor is ready to be pulled, but the Cherry Picker has a Ranger 4cyl hanging on it at the time, so I may have to wait till tomorrow to get it out.

I think I will re-address the drivers motor mount since I have to pull it anyway,..well see what happens,

Old 11-10-2011, 03:20 PM
DarrinGT
Senior User
I got the hard to find part for my exhaust system today. a "Y" pipe with single 4"inlet and dual 3" Outlet. ;Sweet

Had to have it built to specs.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:20 PM
DarrinGT
Senior User
Couple of other updates,..

The motor is still hanging on the cherry picker, I am redoing the drivers side motor mount, should be done tomorrow and I can put the motor back in by the weekend..

I had to give the motor a little tilt to clear the windshield wiper motor, however wit the new drivers side motor mount it should sit under it, and be able to sit straight in the engine compartment.

Plenty of room with the motor hanging to get the slave cylinder and motor mount done.

While the motor was in I had to trim the inner fender around the oil filter so it can be removed easily:

The new Slave Cylnder is installed, also had to replace the line from the master.

Also got rid of the extra wiring in the engine compartment, just trying to stay busy on this project while waiting to get the motor dropped back in.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:23 PM
DarrinGT
Senior User
Oh,..By the way,...its snowing,...

Old 11-10-2011, 06:02 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrinGT
Oh,..By the way,...its snowing,...

bwah hahahahahah

Old 11-16-2011, 07:16 PM
DarrinGT
Senior User
Quick Update:

The Slave Cylinder is in along with a new line to the master, I decided to redo the drivers side motor mount, very easy to do it just took a couple of days to get it back from my buddy, and get it welded in.

The Motor is back in, and I can reach in, turn the key and start it up. It is all hooked up save for the radiator. That should happen tomorrow.

Couple of pics:

Drivers side Motor Mount and Plate sitting in place:

Drivers side motor mount plate Welded in place: Not pretty but functional!

The Reason for the motor plate is to get the motor sitting lower in the engine bay and have more clearance between the Aftercooler and the Wiper Motor.

here is the Before pic:

Here is the After Pic:

Mission Accomplished,

More to come tomorrow!

Old 11-17-2011, 08:38 AM
DarrinGT
Senior User
Now that I have a few minutes I want to cover the motor mount issue.

Most of the research that I did before doing this swap was that the 3006cyl motor stands would work and is a bolt in for the Cummins 4bt. I really didn't have to pay a lot of attention to it since my 4bt was already coming out of a Ford Truck so I figured that whatever I needed was already there.

Here is the sticky showing the motor 300 6cyl motor stands compared to the others:
Motor Stands
Conflicting 300-6 Frame Stand with Ford 4BT Block Mounts Compatibility Issue

The Donor truck had a motor stand on the drivers side crossmember and a plate for the passenger side, so that is what I used at first. I did make an attempt to get a passenger side stand from a couple of sources just in case I needed it but did not get one.

However, with those motor stands, the motor does sit pretty high, and was an interference problem for the Aftercooler, to Wiper motor.

So at this point, there are 3 members including myself that have been through this, or installed motor plates with their builds

The first one is this one: ragobgar 1985 F150 4bt swap.

85 f150 4bt

The second one is camccardell with his 1995 F150 4bt swap.

Conflicting 300-6 Frame Stand with Ford 4BT Block Mounts Compatibility Issue

So the bottom line is that I hope this helps other builders in the future that the 300 6cyl stands aren't needed and a simple plate welded to the frame works great, and lets the motor sit down in the engine compartment with no clearance issues.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:39 AM
DarrinGT
Senior User
Also, here is a better pic of the motor:

Old 11-17-2011, 07:13 PM
DarrinGT
Senior User
Update for tonight,

Got the radiator, installed, had to make some brackets for the fan shroud as well. Turned out to fit pretty well. Started on the Radiator Hoses, Ill need some parts for those. I hope to be dumping Antifreeze in it tomorrow and getting it warmed up.

Only wire not hooked up yet is for the factory oil pressure gauge, still need a connector for that one.

Seems like I did some other stuff tonight also, just cant think of it right now. Headed home,..

Old 11-18-2011, 05:48 PM
DarrinGT
Senior User
Good progress today,

Radiator Hoses, First I bought a bottom hose for an 88 F250 with a 5.0 so I can have the correct angle off of the radiator, and then would have to cut it to go to the other side of the 4bt.

I had some other misc hoses laying around the shop to try as well. So combined with those, and a Down pipe form a VW Rabbit 1.6 NA Diesel, I was able to build the bottom hose without use of the new one:

So what did I do with the new Bottom Hose,..? I did one cut on it, and it fit perfectly on the Top! ;Sweet

Now on to the Air Filter,..I headed out to my local Semi Junk Yard to find a 4" Exhaust or Intercooler Elbow.

For $20.00 I picked this up:

Measured it and cut it,...twice,..cleaned it up, and it fit:

Filled the Radiator tonight, well get it fired up and warmed up tomorrow!

Quick Reply: Droopy the Plow Truck gets a Cummins 4BTA.