Sponsored by: Moser

Disgrace to Ford F150 designers and Engineers

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 07:06 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by OldGrayMare
I agree the newer taller trucks sides are to tall. I believe they did it just to make them look different, not better, just different for a new model change. I like being able to reach over the side of my truck to get something out of the bed. That's also why I kept my 2001 F150, I like it better.

I agree common sense is no longer common. The worst part is our generation is excepting it (maybe even causing it).

I agree the younger generation (and I say this as a generality) has no or little pride. The exceptions seems to be the ones who have some military back ground. The rest come to work late everyday, do not put in a full days work, complain all the time, and just don't care about the products they produce. They would rather find another job flipping burgers than to try harder. If you find a good one do what you can to hang on to them.

I agree, as I get older, I complain more.
Sadly I agree with you. I'm of this generation you speak of I'm 23 years old. But honestly I see people of my generation that don't carry themselve's with respect or stand up for what the beleive in. Its all about finding the easy way out with most of them. The analogy of they would rather find another job flipping burgers rather than go out and better themselves is a good one. I mean I understand times are tough and these days people are just trying to find any semi stable job that will pay their bills. But with the right drive and motivation any one of us can go to school and better ourselves.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:34 AM
awq134
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bartamos
But my business was aerospace/aircraft related. Everything was always new and different. Checking oil and draining oil and using whole quarts ain't nothing new. But I will always stick with the only Company who did not need the Government to bail them out of debt. Amen.
what kind of aircraft related business are you talking about? I'm just curious, so don't take this question the wrong way. I love anything/everything about aircrafts

Sorry for getting off the topic everyone.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:16 AM
bartamos
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PM'ed you. awg134

Old 07-13-2011, 01:46 AM
rwdfan
Senior User
Originally Posted by sandman1984
I know this isn't about a newer F150 but did anyone have a 99 Super-Duty Truck?? I think 99 and maybe 2000 were the only years they had this but whoever designed and/or tested the truck didn't try the in-dash cup holders. There were more like a tray - I still have that old truck - its been incredible @ 210,000 having to drive up and down the beach around Corolla, North Carolina. No major problems except its really rusty now but if you have a drink - you might as well take it and dump it all over yourself before you leave the house because the piece of crap cup holder won't hold anything!!!
LOL, I was just cursing my new to me 99 f350 today. Dumped a whole danged can of rockstar all over the floor. I looked closely at the cupholder, it says "soft cups only". Apparently, ford believed no one drank cans, bottles, or coffee mugs. They are no other cupholders in this truck. Ridiculous, Im going to mount a cupholder to the floor by my 4x4 lever. Either that, or I might see if I can get a junkyard cupholder from a newer f350 and see if it fits...

Old 07-13-2011, 08:25 AM
BURNSTOUGHFORD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 640 CI Aluminum FORD
Sadly I agree with you. I'm of this generation you speak of I'm 23 years old. But honestly I see people of my generation that don't carry themselve's with respect or stand up for what the beleive in. Its all about finding the easy way out with most of them. The analogy of they would rather find another job flipping burgers rather than go out and better themselves is a good one. I mean I understand times are tough and these days people are just trying to find any semi stable job that will pay their bills. But with the right drive and motivation any one of us can go to school and better ourselves.
Somebody has to flip burgers. Somebody has to be a grunt. The problem with the new American dream of being rich is that no one is available to do the hard work anymore. Every parent beats it into their children’s head that they need to go to college so that they can have a better lifeThat’s all fine, but who’s left to do the burger flipping and foundry work? Not nearly enough.[COLOR=black

I’m 25 with a Mechanical Engineering degree. I was a mechanic long before i ever thought of going to college. I like to think i have a leg up on my fellow engineers at our plant. Currently I’m our reliability engineer working on making our equipment last longer.

Back to the point. It’s easy for shade tree mechanics to blame "Young Engineers" for all the problems in the world. Ignorant people think that building a vehicle is just as simple as putting the oil filter "here", that way a overweight American can still change his own oil. Or joe blow can fit his big arm around the engine to change the spark plug.

Another reason Ford doesn’t want to make it any easier for people to work on their own equipment. That is because if they have to carry all of the risk with warranty work, they want to be the ones doing the work. If ford were to get rid of there warranty to build a vehicle that was easier for you to work on. Would you buy it still?

There’s a lot more that goes into designing equipment than what most like to believe.

just my .02

Old 07-13-2011, 09:27 AM
JESTERxHEAD
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here in my mind is how you should become an engineer.

18yrs old: Went to local community college for tool and die degree
19yrs old: Aquired a job in a tool room working as a machinist with strong recommendation from professor (which was a tool and die maker at GE) doing bottom end grunt work.
19.5 old: became a Tool and Die apprentice
20yrs old: Started going twards my BSME
24: Graduate with BSME and Tool and Die.
24-on..... Tool designer "mechanical engieer"

keep in mind I got my azz beat when my dad was at work when I was ten yrs old because I took apart his snowmobile in a million pieces just to see how it worked.

built a 11.2 second 1991 mustang 5.0L lx at the age of 17. All by myself.

My bass boat did go 65mph now it goes 82mph gps because I built a monster motor.

I do all my own work on both of my trucks....

Not trying to put up a resume but what I'm sayin' is that age has NOTHING to do with it.....old guys f#ck up all the time too.

Btw if you want to blame the young blame yourself....you were the ones who taught us......just sayin'......carry on.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:33 AM
Justjimmy
Senior User
Originally Posted by JESTERxHEAD
Btw if you want to blame the young blame yourself....you were the ones who taught us......just sayin'......carry on.
Blame "the old" for the lack of motivation from the young?

Really?

I'M just sayin'

Old 07-13-2011, 10:34 AM
JESTERxHEAD
Senior User
Originally Posted by Justjimmy
Blame "the old" for the lack of motivation from the young?

Really?

I'M just sayin'

not motivation.....knowledge on how to be engineers....younger engineers are not born with mechanical knowledge. hahahahahahaha

Old 07-13-2011, 12:41 PM
'78F250351m
Senior User
This is a heated thread I like it. I could go on forever about the topics on this forum but I'll try keepin it short.

First, I agree some things were engineered horribly on the new Fords. Just keep in mind they really aren't "Made in America" anymore. Also, it doesn't matter if something was done to perfection someone would have something to complain about.

Anyways,
-Just look at todays "America" there is very little respect for anything anymore. Not only from the younger generation but I know many ppl much older than I who are much more lost and disrespectful.

-This countries only going to get worse, as it has been for generations, if we keep up this pattern. I believe if you don't work you don't eat. (Unless obviously it's physically impossible for you to work. < I'm sad I had to say that didn't want anyone offended.)

There's my very small input on things in America.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:52 PM
Justjimmy
Senior User
'78F250351m,

That was beautiful man! Brought a tear to my eye.

Seriously, very well put and I would agree.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:43 PM
bartamos
Junior User
See what I mean? Instead of understanding the problem, even though they haven't seen a 2011 dip stick or the filter, they attack the poster(s). The oil will spill out all over the inspection plate/skid plate no matter what your body size is. A 6'3" guy has already said here that he can't reach the stick. We can all crawl under a 4X4 with 20's. You can argue about young persons knowledge but don't start with personal attacks about overweight Americans, or the size of someone's arm or other. The original point was lack of common sense from young designers and the lack of oversight and review of their older mentors. Both take blame for this mistake. I also said that many younger people have common sense from their environment around the ranch, farm, garage at home, etc. If you can't communicate very well about the main subject, read all the input and filter out the exaggeration, then give your thoughts. Every post will have some minor issue that a frustrated, mean spirited person can turn into an argument. One should see that I am using humor in my points to keep it friendly. Putting God and America and it's foundations into it is just some more of your mindless ranting about nothing.
Ford uses good old American Engineers and Designers as well as help from it's other Companies it owns. They use the latest Ergonomics and Human Factors Engineering to obtain Body sizes, reach, ages, genders, visibility, hand size, arm size and etc. I have read several other post of some of you. You are argumentative and off topic all the time. You like to modify your vehicles. Modify your behavior as well. I think these types have taken over the post but the points have been understood and commented upon by most. We will now let the wannabees vent and expell the demons. just sayin.....Bye Bye

Old 07-13-2011, 04:21 PM
JESTERxHEAD
Senior User
The optimist sees the cup as half full......

The pessimist sees the cup half empty.....

The engineer sees that the cup is twice as big as it needs to be!!!!!

Old 07-13-2011, 04:35 PM
JESTERxHEAD
Senior User
btw.....just for sake of discussion say you had a 1978 f150 with an equal sized engine....

it will shake you to death, cant run 80 without feeling you are going to die, drinks the gas as fast as you can pour it in, it will be wore out at 70k miles, it will rust at 50k, actually do more than change the oil the first 100k, interior is loud, the truck is drafty when cold, a/c sucked, you can actually stop with a trailer, your eyes will water standing behind the truck, shift on the fly doesnt exist, oh and you are sure to be extremely injured in a bad accident/roll over, horrible tow rating, etc...can go on and on.

now I'd say there were a few ENGINEERING improvements, maybe the dipstick thing isnt as bad as it seems to be.....

just spewing my .00002 out there......

Old 07-13-2011, 04:39 PM
JESTERxHEAD
Senior User
Originally Posted by bartamos
Every Ford owner who wishes to comment is always invited. It's interesting to read what others have found that could be improved.

I completely agree....if people didnt complain about design mishaps then nothing would be improved.....

Old 07-13-2011, 05:32 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Gentlemen, I'm not the MOD for this forum but I will urge you all to be very careful as the actual MOD is lurking and there's no telling what kind of a mood he may be in.

Ford"s trucks have evolved nicely over the years with each generation vastly improving over the previous. But some of the things that have been mentioned here are valid. No grab handle on the drivers side A pillar is a biggy. The oil dip stick location is a biggy.

People who are laying down their hard earned bucks to buy a Ford truck have no doubt made the correct choice. But as these trucks evolve and improve and increase in price, the little things need to be completely addressed.

If Ford wants to warranty this truck for life then I'll never release the hood again. Otherwise, I should be able to perform routine checks and normal fluid changes without the dealer's assistance.

Quick Reply: Disgrace to Ford F150 designers and Engineers