Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got a paint question again..

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 10:26 PM
BIGskinny
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got a paint question again..

how stupid would it be to paint my truck with tractor paint? i love the ol ford blue on the old ford tractors...lets here yalls imputs..thanks

Old 07-08-2011, 11:45 PM
70torino429
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have some decent skills it wouldnt be that stupid, I'd make sure to use a couple coats of clear on it, otherwise it might not come out that good.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:05 AM
BIGskinny
Senior User
Its a first time paint job besides rattle can. I'm not looking for professiNal work right now just something better then this faded blue and black and green fenders where i just swapped to the 94 front end.. I plan on doing a few coats of gloss no questions asked. I do plan on doing all the prep work and all right the first time and doing every thing the way it should be done..im not doing this as a front yard or deal or anything..its going in a garage and getting done right..as long as it comes out lookin better then this faded blue and black and green ill be 110% satisfied.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:52 AM
deljac
Elder User
nothing wrong with using tractor paint. depending on the brand of paint alot of them are more durable than automotive paints. good luck and let of see the finished product

Old 07-09-2011, 11:12 AM
dontknowmyalphabet
New User
I've painted my F150 with tractor paint from tractor supply stores. I highly recommend the "Restoration" paint. I've used the tractor and implement paint and it isn't as nice as the Restoration stuff.

I have a cheap Campbell Hausfeld spray gun from Walmart . I do very amateurish paint jobs BUT they are very inexpensive and look very good. I've always used tractor paint and have done about a dozen jobs.

If you adjust your gun right and thin the paint properly I'm sure you'll be happy with the results.

Only other tip I can give is that I've seen a local auto parts store advertising PPG Omni paint and with the reducer and hardener it's only 107 bucks. So it's not that much more than the tractor paint and It comes in 10,000 color selection. I may go that route next time.

One more thing if you use the restoration tractor paint......... buy the hardener, it makes a world of difference in the gloss and dry time. Good luck!

Old 07-09-2011, 10:51 PM
70torino429
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BIGskinny
Its a first time paint job besides rattle can. I'm not looking for professiNal work right now just something better then this faded blue and black and green fenders where i just swapped to the 94 front end.. I plan on doing a few coats of gloss no questions asked. I do plan on doing all the prep work and all right the first time and doing every thing the way it should be done..im not doing this as a front yard or deal or anything..its going in a garage and getting done right..as long as it comes out lookin better then this faded blue and black and green ill be 110% satisfied.
Sounds good. Since Ford blue is a lighter toned blue it wont be too hard of a paint to lay on evenly (wont be difficult like black). Definitely post pics of how it comes out, im interested to see what it looks like since I need to replace my fenders and hood soon and will probably need to paint it.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:00 PM
Bankrupter
Elder User
I have been debating doing mine out in Cat paint with the yellow black red strip scheme. Yours is more realistic then mine, I say go for it!

Old 07-09-2011, 11:22 PM
BIGskinny
Senior User
I'll deffinalty keep everyone posted. I'm still debating in exactly what color to go. Iv seen two or three different ford blue shades. I'm stopping by tractor supply for some shirts n boots tomorrow anyways so I'm going to check out paints while I'm there. Thanks for the input and advice again

Old 07-09-2011, 11:43 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bankrupter
I have been debating doing mine out in Cat paint with the yellow black red strip scheme. Yours is more realistic then mine, I say go for it!

wow your going with a similar idea of mine LOL i was going with the true CAT yellow on mine with the gloss CAT black!! our minds seem to think alike....

Old 07-10-2011, 12:11 AM
onlya4.9
Senior User
i know the New Holland dealership around here has a few aisles of tractor paint, from john deere and case and of course new holland, and the gallons are actually pretty cheap. i wanted to do the body of my mud truck john deere green and all the rims, trim, grille, bumpers, etc, john deere yellow. completely redneck, but itd look awesome

Old 07-10-2011, 01:25 AM
BIGskinny
Senior User
Hell yeah. Glad to see. I'm not the only one that's considerd tractor paint on there truck. I thought I was goin to get a bunch of no don't do it's and what nots. This is awesome.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:38 AM
dontknowmyalphabet
New User
a buddy of mine at work painted his '92 F150 Ford Blue. he used the tractor paint from TS. I think he went with the Restoration series paint since it was on closeout ($24.99) The truck looks nice, but for some reason it has no gloss and is very rough textured. That's why I told you to make sure you set your gun right and also thin the paint properly.

I don't have a cmera nor do I know how to post pictures anyway, but I'm sure if you look at the photo gallery on this site you should see some Ford Blue trucks. I like the color, but I painted mine International Red, since I didn't want twins with my coworker.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:34 PM
BIGskinny
Senior User
thanks for your reply..i was at tractor suppply today and there ford blue is alot darker then the ford blues u pull up when googled..i think ill like this darker ford blue better though..what kind of clear coat would yall say to use?

Old 07-10-2011, 08:05 PM
Bankrupter
Elder User
Originally Posted by BIGskinny
thanks for your reply..i was at tractor suppply today and there ford blue is alot darker then the ford blues u pull up when googled..i think ill like this darker ford blue better though..what kind of clear coat would yall say to use?
Is that tractor paint an enamel paint?

Old 07-10-2011, 08:51 PM
BIGskinny
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bankrupter
Is that tractor paint an enamel paint?
i do believe it is an enamel paint. pretty sure it is.

Quick Reply: got a paint question again..