1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fog light help

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 12:48 PM
EMS-guy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fog light help

I'm wanting to put factory style fog lights on my 99. The switch for the headlights pulls out in the on position as it would if equipped with factory lights. Has anyone done this before? Does the switch have the parts in there to support them?

Old 07-03-2011, 01:25 PM
Soodude
Senior User
do a google search for fog lights I can't remember where I might have seen something like that...... let me know if you find anything

Old 07-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was taking light switch off on my 99 model for other reason and noticed one contact there that was not connected to anything. Meaning if my observation is correct and that was fog lights contact, you'd have to install power supply and power takeoff on the switch.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Soodude
Senior User
Here I was looking around a little bit to see if this is what you were after. I may end up ordering it since it seems to have the wiring harnesses as well

Ford F250/F350 OEM Fog Light Installation Kit, 1999-2007

Old 07-03-2011, 08:35 PM
EMS-guy
New User

That looks like it will do the job perfectly. Awfully expensive though.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:45 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Having fog light coming on with low beams would be illegal basically all around the World.
I have the "pull for fogs" switch on my Mercedes as well and like the idea of not having any additional switches. Why complicate already done things?
Still what is holding me from installing fogs is finding the fuse connector and control light on dashboard. I asked the questions on this forum few times and so far no answer.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:46 PM
Soodude
Senior User
yeah that was one of the first sites I saw but I'm finding other ones really fast lol.... I did the front end conversion on my 99 to the 05-07 so I'm gonna make my own, I think I can make it cheaper lol

Old 07-03-2011, 08:47 PM
Soodude
Senior User
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
Having fog light coming on with low beams would be illegal basically all around the World.
I have the "pull for fogs" switch on my Mercedes as well and like the idea of not having any additional switches. Why complicate already done things?
Still what is holding me from installing fogs is finding the fuse connector and control light on dashboard. I asked the questions on this forum few times and so far no answer.
I thought it was illegal to have fogs on with high beams not low beams?

Old 07-03-2011, 08:54 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
I believe the law is the same everywhere, that fog light should be turned on only in fog. Where I live we don't have fogs, but lot of people are using them for their comfort -ignoring the law and ignoring the fact that those lights are often blinding drivers from other direction.
Standard setup is that you can turn the fog lights on with marker lights and they automatically go off when marker lights are turned off. That is why I am hesitant to use any additional switches having factory switch design to do it right way.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:59 PM
Soodude
Senior User
ok I wasn't sure was just wondering because on my 03 f150 when the fogs are on with low beams and I hit the Highs the fogs turn off..... might be something else I'll have to check into because I hate being the guy people are complaining about when they coming towards me LOL

Old 07-03-2011, 09:01 PM
-Hilgy-
Junior User
Why would you drive around in the fog with no headlights on???
Your not allowed to have the active with your HIGH beams that's why they come wired to drop the ground when you switch to H/B.
The simple snip of a wire and a ground will let you have fogs with both high and low beams.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Originally Posted by -Hilgy-
Why would you drive around in the fog with no headlights on???.
The headlights on my SuperDuty are about 4 feet above the ground. I don't have fogs in CA, but I did drive a lot in fogs in the past and had couple of times when I had to open the door to see center highway line. The light coming from headlight that high above the ground will never reach the ground in heavy fog. That is why fog lights are mounted as low as possible where the fog is lighter and the light will not bounce off the fog straight into the driver eyes.
So yes, in really heavy fog I can imagine you want to turn your headlights off and keep fog lights with markers only

Old 07-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Soodude
Senior User
Went from finding fog light kits to trying to figure out the laws on them lol

Old 07-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Soodude
Senior User
I found something somewhere else where someone was quoting the lighting laws.

In fact in Virginia, quote from VA V+T law:
§ 46.2-1020. Other permissible lights. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with fog lights, not more than two of which can be illuminated at any time, one or two auxiliary driving lights if so equipped by the manufacturer, two daytime running lights, two side lights of not more than six candlepower, an interior light or lights of not more than 15 candlepower each, and signal lights.
Washington State, quote from V+T law:
(2) Fog lamps. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two fog lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than twelve inches nor more than thirty inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands and so aimed that when the vehicle is not loaded none of the high intensity portion of the light to the left of the center of the vehicle shall at a distance of twenty-five feet ahead project higher than a level of four inches below the level of the center of the lamp from which it comes. Lighted fog lamps meeting the above requirements may be used with lower head lamp beams as specified in RCW 46.37.220.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:56 PM
EMS-guy
New User
In my three years as a cop, I never wrote a ticket for that.

Quick Reply: Fog light help