Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bushwacker project

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 09:31 PM
officer131
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remembered today to snap a few photos of the template. Pictures are from a cell phone.

Pic #1: you are looking as if the doors are laying flat. The edge closest to you is the bottom edge of door.

[/url]

Pic #2: You are looking as if the door was opened and laying flat. This is were I was able to make the bend, so I would have a surface to adhear to the door.

[/url]

Pic #3: Looking at same as above, but different angle. Now you can see the 2x4 were I cut it and reused both pieces to make the form. The hardest part was heating the material so it would bend easily, but not melt to the wood, or melt around the metal clamps holding it in place.
[/url]

So again since the cut piece (bushwacker) doesn't have an area were it will hold onto the door I have to make this piece. All this time and effert will not be seen, but will be the most important piece of the project for completion. The inner curved part will adhear to the rear door.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:09 PM
officer131
Posting Guru
No more progress, it's been rainy and bad weather. Not a good combo for painting.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:11 PM
officer131
Posting Guru
Now that the weather is starting to turn good the project must go on. I have been completing several other projects including :in-tank mod, feul return line, fixing an oil leak, replacing ball joints and wheel bearing assembly. Can wait to actually get back to a project that I dont have to spend money on because i already have the parts. Hope people are still going to follow.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:43 PM
archtaan
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I plan too. I am doing BW pockets myself, 2010 fronts, 04 rears and I plan to do the cut and probably glass in the holes. Not sure yet. Still trying to get ideas.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:56 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
why you need such big flares for such lil tires? I'm guessing youre gonna go bigger?

Old 04-18-2012, 08:00 PM
archtaan
Post Fiend
They push 2" past the body and sling a ton of rocks up on the body. Lots of gravel roads here.

Bigger down the road as well.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:34 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I was referring to the OP.. yours do look like they stick out a bit more than his. I like the fiberglass wide front fenders they make for the super duty, but there's really no way you could make the rear bedside flares that match work on the excursion without heavy work to the rear doors.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:49 PM
officer131
Posting Guru
I have finally been able to find some time and continue my long time project. Yesterday I started making the pieces that will hook to the rear door and the piece that will be visible once the door is open (gap filler). It's a little tougher than expected. I figured it would be, or more people would want to do it themselves. Pictures to come in a couple of days when I can start bonding the acrylic pieces. Right now a picture wouldn't seen to cool. I do have a process though. Stay tooned for those of you that have been waiting for ever.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:38 PM
officer131
Posting Guru
Today I was able to work a little on my project. As sson as my smart phone will send the pics to my email I can post them.

I made the final cuts on the piece that would show if the rear doors were to be opened (gap filler piece). I was able to epoxy those two pieces onto the flare. So far they are drying/setting now.

What I plan on doing next is to paint those two pieces and then do the finishing touches on the piece that would 3m to the door. I'm doing that because I need to be able to place/tighten the bolts that show on the outside of the flare. When its done I won't be able to see or get to the two bolts since the piece will be completely inclosed.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:06 PM
archtaan
Post Fiend
Here is how I did my rears. I used the XLT lower rock guards to fill the holes in the lower quarter. The fenders and guards are Line-x. After some tweaking they tuck up real tight and close. Don't have pics of that yet.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:52 AM
ExSKARsion
Senior User
I feel like the back looks weird to me. I want to do this as well so I can manage 44s on only a 10" lift but the back just looks odd to me

Old 08-29-2012, 07:53 AM
officer131
Posting Guru
Here are some pictures as of now:

First picture is both of the rear piece which were cut off from the original pocket style door. As you can see when I fist cut the one piece I din't measure for the door angle opening. OOPS. little patch job but nothing major. I had to get the gap right or it would look wierd having two different gap sizes between the flare and the door gap on the truck. Anyways what your looking at is the an acrylic piece epoxy to the flare. The only thing that shows to the eye will be the outsides of the acrylic piece only when the door is open. Both pieces are formed/cut to the contour of the door, but not perfectly.

[/url]

Below is a little better picture of the flare on an angle. Obviously the part that gray is whats seen from the outside.

[/url]

Next is to paint the piece, then work in another piece that would be stuck/bolted to the door which wont be seen at all. If I do it before then I wont be able to reach the two holes for the bolts that show on the outside.

The project is coming along, but as always timing doesn't work in my favor usually. Thanks for your patience.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:04 AM
officer131
Posting Guru
Yesterday I was able to get out and prime the pieces. I did a little sanding also.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:53 AM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How much were the flares? In the market for some and I plan to put them on my excursion

Old 09-06-2012, 10:31 AM
archtaan
Post Fiend
They run around $375 or so for a set. Then add paint or Line-x. Mine were $60 to line-x.

Quick Reply: Bushwacker project