1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Slilghtly OT: wobble in spindle

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 04:07 PM
r_reed
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Slilghtly OT: wobble in spindle

we have a wobble in the king pin on my brother in law's 49 Ch**y AD (it's ok, we actually spend more time working on my 49 F1). we have new kingpins and new bushings and the wobble is between the upper bushing and the spindle. it seems like a machine shop could drill out the spindle, sleeve or bush it to fit a standard king pin bushing. what do people do with a worn spindle other that finding another one?? thanks, sorry about the cross brand post, but it could apply to fords as well. dick r.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:04 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
They sell O/S kingpins to deal with wear in the axle holes, but I haven't heard of how your BIL's situation would be addressed. Your suggestion of a steel bushing seems OK, but I think it would be better to make the spindle perfectly round O/S, and then use a spindle bushing that directly matched that. (Have the machinist make a couple so if it ever wears out you've got a spare) Otherwise the steel bushing will be real thin, not very strong, and may be damaged when pressing the bronze bushing in.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:25 PM
r_reed
Laughing Gas
ross, thanks again for answering my nut and bolt questions. we thought about getting a larger king pin bushing made, but then wondered about getting the grease hole and groove put into it. we are going to check a couple more machine shops before we go the used route. our local napa with it's own shop couldn't fix it or recommend someone who could. we can drive about and hour and 15 min. and get a used one for $125, assuming we get there and it's not egged out like the one we have. the current set up has more wobble than we like but not real bad yet. thanks again to ross and the best site on the web. dick r.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:05 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Old 06-21-2011, 07:25 PM
r_reed
Laughing Gas
thanks ross. i see the 30348 looks like a .015 oversize bushing. i did find a drop axle shop that would clean up a worn spindle with oversize bushing and ream or hone to fit stock pin. i also found an article on stoveb**t that a guy found some spring bushings that were oversize OD and undersized ID. he rounded out the spindle, turned the bushing OD to fit, then sent it to machine shop for pin fit. we'll see how the BIL does with his research. dick r.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:34 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Man, while looking for that, I was at a few Chevy AD sites. We don't even come close to how Darkside those guys are!

Old 06-21-2011, 08:34 PM
r_reed
Laughing Gas
it's a sad thing that my BIL can't find a good AD site like FTE for Fords. even stove bolt doesn't have participation of fte. i have to ask you guys for help with his truck. mine 49 f1 will be ready for unveiling pretty soon: we did a ford 9", dual master, box repair: new square tube frame, replaced bottom 8" of sides, new stake pockets, bebop lower front fenders, gravel pan, grill. our own patch panels for uppers and rear fenders: epoxy primer, going into satin black, pro redo of seat in orig looking vinyl. all with help from fte.