1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

How do you decide......

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 07:27 PM
hellfirejim
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you decide......

What you want to do with your truck next?????

I look at a lot of pictures and other trucks. I log it and if I see it on every other truck then no I won't do do it. If I see it occasionally and I really like it then I consider it and refine it for me.

Sometimes it just comes out of the blue....

So what about you????

jim

Old 06-13-2011, 07:34 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I try to do different everywhere I can.. with whatever talents I have.

its hard to be unique..

Sam

Old 06-13-2011, 07:34 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
When I was building my truck to the point of getting it running, mostly it depended on what I had laying around and my ability to incorporate it into my build. In the 3 years since I got it on the road, I have had a little more $$ to throw at it and have been able to do some upgrades and add a few luxuries

Old 06-13-2011, 07:35 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
A lot of the time I have to filter the vision I have for my truck through my checkbook. Actually, I don't have a clear cut vision of what the final product will be, I have a rough idea but thats all. My truck is kind of a big learning curve. Its a place for me to develop and hone skills. I'll try things and then go back and fix them....and fix them again......LOL

Somtimes I'll get an idea from looking at other trucks, or looking at parts catalogs and then I'll tweak it to fit my needs and budget
Ditto to what Jeff just posted

I'll bet you get some intersting answers here
Bobby

Old 06-13-2011, 07:51 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
Some of the things I've done to my panel were things that I thought were unique to my panel. I don't get to go to any car/truck shows and got my computer just before I joined this site. Needless to say the most of the mods I've done have been done on countless others, such as the caddy taillights and rear hatch door, rounding door corners,etc. But before your bubble is burst it's nice to think you're # 1, it's nice to live a sheltered life and in a small town,lol.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:08 PM
low54
Elder User
I get inspired when i see other classics driven on the road...It gets me fired up to get my truck on the road...aslso, I look to see what others are doing with F-100's specificially. there's not to many 53-55's around here, and only several 56's...so I'm wanting to create something that I can drive around and do park n ride stuff...

Old 06-13-2011, 08:26 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i got all sorts of ideas , enough to build or butcher 10 trucks ......... truth of the matter is though despite what i say , and how much cash i may or may not have , the truck is the one telling me what's next . sounds weird , but it's true .............................

Old 06-13-2011, 08:30 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Start by sitting in it and pretend you're driving it down the road (making noises helps) - You will start to get a vision of what you want (or think you want) - Then start looking for vehicles that match or come close to your vision - Pretty soon you'll realize that's not what you really wanted - Go back to the beginning and start over - Doing this over and over again you will either find your true Truck or realize that you want to go fishing instead of building a Truck.
Mine has settled into a vision of a mid sixties slightly hotrodded shop truck that I would have built at that time if Viet Nam had not barged its way into my life.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:44 PM
iwanaflattie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 30 Likes on 8 Posts
i get Ideas from shows pictures and other peoples rides.The reason I bought my truck is that I saw a 52 mercury at a show and I loved all the features and lines but before the Merc I had seen the COE so I knew I had seen the same grill before.
My Goal was to look close to the merc with some of my mods but once I seen the appealing(to me)patina I was hooked with the look.
When I read about how much people were spending on Faux patina paint jobs I decided to leave it like that.
It saves a lot of money and time.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:54 PM
Big IV
Senior User
I look around at the things I want to do then temper that by my wallet to decide how much of that not to do.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:04 PM
Cooter55
Senior User
Before I started my Darkside Cooter project, I pretty much put together a plan of what I wanted as a finsished truck. Also kind of planned the project in the order of doing things that would limit going back and undoing. I hate expensive "learning" experiences. I have built other vehicles in the past so I have a pretty good understanding of the order things need to be done. Then $$$'s dictate.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:02 PM
tardster
Elder User
I look at other trucks for ideas. I know alot of people might think thats copying someone else but I dont think of it that way. I seen the tailgate CharlieLED did for that pretty blue truck and I did something similar to it plus it also gave me the idea for the custom emblems for my hood. Then there was keith56 cruz cab and his truck. I really liked the way he did the torpedo bezels on his hood. Yes maybe I did copy those ideas somewhat but I put my twist on them. If I see something and I like it then I do it or attempt to do it lol...

Old 06-16-2011, 01:23 PM
Fordman49F1
Senior User
I write ideas down on white faced magnets and throw them at my truck...such as chop top on one magnet...or wide whites on another magnet. Then, I sit down in my garage with either an 18 pack of Guinness or a bottle of Jager and throw them in a rather violent manor at my truck. Whatever sticks is what I do!

In reality, I don't have many talents as far as customizing goes yet, which REALLY limits my potential. I also lack the vision to see anything past what I have. What little I do (or have done) I try to keep simple and effective and within my skill wheelhouse...otherwise I find myself getting overwhelmed and leaning too hard on others to finish my project. I also lean towards vehicles that appeal to me as they are more than what they can become...which I attest to not having much vision or ability. I try not to let my wallet dictate too much of my build...but sometimes it puts things on hold.

For my truck in particular, I wanted a "period build" I suppose, an early 60's hot rod from a retired farm truck that was in no way able to be confused with a street rod or rat rod, and I actually wanted it to perform...not just sound good. I started with what I know...the engine. From there, really the rest kind of fell in place. Nothing more state of the art for Ford in the early 60's than the 289...and 4-speed. The only other thing I have done is the wheels, and that came about because I did not want hub caps or aluminum wheels so I needed a way to dress steelies. The look is versitile and classic, and easy to change. When I am all done with the suspension, engine...and ready for body work I have a nice earth tone metalic paint that will be laid on...and some light pinstriping for the classic touch.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:39 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A 15 pack of Pilsner does it for me. It seems like I go out of my way to do everything the hard way and with no money.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:45 PM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Having owned this truck for 24 years, I've had a long time to think about it. Owing to the fact that I had to give up the herbal and malted mind expansion enhancers, (beer goggles and the like) I rely on earleir dreams of what I wanted the truck to be.

It's almost there.