1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Help me spend my money

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 02:26 PM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

I'm sure folks get tired of hearing this. Is the drivetrain, brakes, fluids and suspension up to the task? If not or you don't know I would concentrate on that before going forward with power mods. I'm not talking intake and exhaust. If your going to be putting out a significant amount of power you have to be able to get that power to the ground efficiently and safely. Hopefully without breaking anything. My two pennies.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:13 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to FTE and thanks for serving!!!!

How much power are you looking for???? Remember, the stock E4OD transmission cannot handle too terribly much power, so if your looking 400+hp, a transmission build is in order.

We can do a lot with $9k. We can probably get you close to 500hp with that kind of coin, but you won't have much if any leftover if you want that kind of power and to do it for $9k, you will have to do some DIY stuff like the electric fuel system and intercooler. So, let us know exactly what you would like and we can help you put together a list for your needs.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:53 PM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pjwoolw
Welcome to FTE!

I'm sure folks get tired of hearing this. Is the drivetrain, brakes, fluids and suspension up to the task? If not or you don't know I would concentrate on that before going forward with power mods. I'm not talking intake and exhaust. If your going to be putting out a significant amount of power you have to be able to get that power to the ground efficiently and safely. Hopefully without breaking anything. My two pennies.
Probably a good thing to point out...so im quoting him to reiterate... Power mods are fun, but basic maintenance comes first. Putting some money into cleaning everything up is not a bad idea.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:11 PM
Jester444
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
Welcome to FTE and thanks for serving!!!!

How much power are you looking for???? Remember, the stock E4OD transmission cannot handle too terribly much power, so if your looking 400+hp, a transmission build is in order.

We can do a lot with $9k. We can probably get you close to 500hp with that kind of coin, but you won't have much if any leftover if you want that kind of power and to do it for $9k, you will have to do some DIY stuff like the electric fuel system and intercooler. So, let us know exactly what you would like and we can help you put together a list for your needs.
I would love to be able to put down 400hp. I figure I can do the intercooler myself but probably not anything else. Don't have the tools or time. I wanna make sure I am going about upgrading this truck the smart way. I don't just wanna add injectors and see what breaks. Transmission upgrade is probably a good idea to get a good foundation. I'll look into it.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:08 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
For 400 reliable horsepower, I think I'd do a full build on the transmission and never have to worry about it again. Look at BTS, John Wood Automotive, and RacerX for that. That will take up around $4k from your budget, but is well worth it.

The stock turbo won't be reliable at 400hp, but can get you close. If you want to step into the aftermarket turbo world, you will be reliable at 400+hp, but you will then have to do headstuds, valve springs, and chromoly pushrods which adds on to your budget. I think You'd probably have a little over $9k tied into it if you do an aftermarket turbo, studs, springs, pushrods, injectors, HPOP, electric fuel system, IC, and built transmission.

So, I would do the transmission first then start doing supporting mods as you get money to do them. Electric fuel, IC, HPOP, headstuds, valve springs, pushrods, then get injectors, turbo, and custom tuned chip to put you over 400hp. 160cc stage 2 injectors are good for around 420hp w/ an aftermarket turbo. Hybrids will get you closer to 500hp w/ the right turbo.