Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What could be wrong with Grandma's Ride?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 06:40 AM
brc777
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What could be wrong with Grandma's Ride?

Hi,

I have found this website to be invaluable over the past couple of years with my own Ford trucks. But this one's for Grandma.

A little history on the truck. It is a 1994 F150 reg. cab short wheel base with 5.0L V-8. My Grandpa bought it new. And it was extremely well taken care of until he passed in 2001. Even after that my Grandma kept the truck up. People use to brag how well the truck looked for its age and always wanted to buy it. But she would never sell it.

Well over the past several years she has loaned it out to family members b/c she doesn't drive much any more. And to put it bluntly they have trashed the truck (at least cosmeticaly).

This is the problem and I am quoting Grandma here . She said the truck would be going down the road and act as if it were running out of gas and was going to quit running then suddenly would run fine and this continued over and over until she was afraid to drive it. My first impression was fuel pump or fuel filter. But it is family so I kept my mouth shut .

Well they replaced the fuel filter and problem continued. This week she had the fuel pump replaced and it did not solve the problem.

My question is what other things could we look into to resolve the problem. Like I said she says it acts like it is going to run out of gas and quit, but then runs fine for a while the problem repeats.

Thanks,

brc

Old 06-09-2011, 06:55 AM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ford Fuel Injection » How To Run a Self-Test Maybe check for trouble codes as described in this link.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:00 AM
rikard
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pull the codes and perform a fuel pressure check. Ask the garage if they checked the fuel pressure or pulled codes before replacing the pump. If they didn't find a new garage. Check for loose or bad electrical connections especially the grounds.
regards
rikard

Old 06-09-2011, 07:13 AM
L. Ward
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remember, no matter how simple or fancy the engine, it all comes down to fuel-air-spark. Pull the codes as above, and then check the simple things first... when's the last tune up (spark plugs, wires, air filter, etc)? Another possibility would be the TFI starting to go. As always, start with the simple things.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:34 PM
brc777
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks for the response to my post

Sorry...had computer issues....could not respond until now.....thanks for the info. I will try your suggestions.