Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

6.2L -- Why Is The Availability So Restricted?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 12:32 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
That is a dilemma then. Not many choices other than to go with something other than the 6.2 or get a travel trailer instead of 5th wheel. I never understood the point of a light and short 5th wheel wheel anyway.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:33 PM
n2umr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 6.2 is just a "bridge" motor for all the people out there who still think they need cubic inches to get power. I see the demise of the 6.2 in about 5 years.

Ford will offer the 3.5 ecoboost as the base engine in the superduty at some point and I can see them making a larger displacement ecoboost to fill the gap between the 3.5 and the diesel.

The paradigm has shifted folks, the days of big V8's are gone. Every car maker will eventually go this way, Ford is just leading the pack.

Mark

Old 06-10-2011, 12:34 PM
SRT
Junior User
Originally Posted by spdmpo
I agree, if you're towing a 5th wheel you should be looking at a 3/4 ton. You can get your longer bed and 6.2 in it. I know people are doing it in the F150, but...
We could all step up to something bigger (F250, F550, etc -- I've had them), but that misses the point. The point is: Ford wants to act like the 6.2L engine is available in the F150, yet they restrict the availability to a very narrow market -- that won't work for most. Why? That's why I started the thread. From the answers above, apparently the CAFE standards have perverted the free market to the point where Ford has no choice.

Suppose Dodge dropped their Viper engine (600hp 8.4L V10) in a Dakota -- amusing thought -- right? Then they advertised they had the fastest, badest truck around -- 9 second quarter mile times, 0-60 in 3 seconds, etc; BUT then they wouldn't sell it to anybody. We'd all see that as disingenuous and deceptive -- right?

A friend of mine bought a new F100 in 1965. The other old guys reading this, will remember that a 352 was the biggest engine available that year; but my friend wanted a 390. The dealer told him, "Hey, no problem" -- they jerked out the 352, dropped in a new 390 -- and away we went -- fantastic truck in it's day -- used to dazzle the folks at the Pomona Drags. I don't suppose it's that easy any more.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:47 PM
curtw48
Senior User
The point of a light short 5fth wheel is to be easier to tow and maneuver, for use in short trips. It is just the opposite of a heavy, long 5fth wheel.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:13 PM
SRT
Junior User
Originally Posted by n2umr
The 6.2 is just a "bridge" motor for all the people out there who still think they need cubic inches to get power. I see the demise of the 6.2 in about 5 years.

Ford will offer the 3.5 ecoboost as the base engine in the superduty at some point and I can see them making a larger displacement ecoboost to fill the gap between the 3.5 and the diesel.

The paradigm has shifted folks, the days of big V8's are gone. Every car maker will eventually go this way, Ford is just leading the pack.

Mark
Ford says you can tow 9600 pounds with a 5.0L; and 11,300 pounds with the EcoBoost -- time will tell if those light weight aluminum engines will live up to those expectations -- or, if they're a bit optimistic.

I hope it works; but in the mean time, many of us would prefer to stay with the proven heavy iron, until the results of the real world tests are tabulated over the next couple years. If there was a "gas guzzler" fee or something -- many of us would pay it.

Chevy probably thought the paradigm had shifted when they built the Vega.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Justjimmy
Senior User
Originally Posted by curtw48
If I was towing fulltime, I would agree. My towing is only 5 or 6 times a year on short trips to state parks in Texas. Otherwise my tow vehicle is my daily driver. I do not need a 3/4 ton for part time towing of a light 5fth wheel. I stay within the limits of the vehicle and do not try to set the land speed record while doing so.
100% agreed

Old 06-10-2011, 02:58 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SRT
A friend of mine bought a new F100 in 1965. The other old guys reading this, will remember that a 352 was the biggest engine available that year; but my friend wanted a 390. The dealer told him, "Hey, no problem" -- they jerked out the 352, dropped in a new 390 -- and away we went -- fantastic truck in it's day -- used to dazzle the folks at the Pomona Drags. I don't suppose it's that easy any more.
You're right, not that easy anymore. 40 years ago you could order anything in the catalog, from what I understand.

Too many electronics these days that don't carry from one engine over to another. I personally don't mind the electronics, although I would like to have a real throttle cable back again. DBW lag is a beeotch.

But back to topic, the 6.2L was offered, in my eyes, by Ford to throw a bone to the die hard V8 guys. If you have the amount of coin needed to get into the truck trimmed out with a 6.2L, then it most likely won't be a work horse (short bed being fine for this) and probably won't see any off hwy duty (20 & 22" wheel options). They really don't want the 6.2L to be a top seller, but they would be lost in the marketplace without a large displacement V8 in the lineup.

Like someone else said, you gotta pay to play.

And for your towing, wouldn't you rather have more than enough truck (F250) than just enough (F150)? Remember that we're talking about your loved one's safety here. Family, dogs, gear, toys. I'd rather have too much capability.

Old 06-10-2011, 05:11 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by n2umr

Mark
I agree with you except for the 3.5L EB in the superduty. I think it would net worse MPG's then the old 5.4L did. That would be counterproductive. But I think you're correct in saying that a small displacement EB engine will be the base engine in the SD.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:07 AM
Scorpion67
Elder User
Ford offers more configurations than GM and Chrysler combined, and it still isn't enough for everyone. You can't get a crew cab with a 6.5' bed with the other brands, with any engine! I'm nostalgic with big engines too, but lets face it. The 6.2 doesn't have much of a future. Plus I can buy any old truck and get a massive engine. If I were buying a new one, it would definitely be the EcoBoost.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:36 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by Scorpion67
Ford offers more configurations than GM and Chrysler combined, and it still isn't enough for everyone. You can't get a crew cab with a 6.5' bed with the other brands, with any engine! I'm nostalgic with big engines too, but lets face it. The 6.2 doesn't have much of a future. Plus I can buy any old truck and get a massive engine. If I were buying a new one, it would definitely be the EcoBoost.
Very true plus the F-150's and the superduty's do a nice job of complimenting each and completing the options circle for Ford.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:16 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
Note that there is no longer a full size 5-lug E150. The current E150, since 2008 or so, is an 8-lug E250 with a GVW over 8500 lbs and truck tires, etc.

George
It was a pretty smart move on fords part to make minor changes to the E150 to up up the GVWR which is now 8520. This means its exempt from CAFE standards and less stringent regulations it helped ford overall. Maybe we could hope the F-150 goes that way , probably not but we can wish.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:17 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
It was a pretty smart move on fords part to make minor changes to the E150 to up up the GVWR which is now 8520. This means its exempt from CAFE standards and less stringent regulations it helped ford overall. Maybe we could hope the F-150 goes that way , probably not but we can wish.
Well not really. The "minor change" they made to the E150 was to eliminate it and put E150 nameplates on the E250 The E150 GVW had been 7200 and it now has a truck tires, E250 axles, springs, and brakes, and weighs 500 lbs more or something like that for a GVW over 8500. And it rides like a 250 with these changes. I have driven 5-lug vans with car type tires for 25 years, sometimes as daily drivers, and would not want an 8 lug van for my use as bicycling support vehicle, Boy Scout troop carrier, etc.

Again, if you need a big GVW pickup or want a 6.2 for towing, get a Super Duty.

George

Old 06-11-2011, 07:39 AM
Arctic Fox
Senior User
Originally Posted by Scorpion67
...why the concern for the future of the 6.2L? I bought mine, I now own it and love it and couldn't care less if Ford stopped production of this engine tomorrow. I already have mine and will drive it hard for many years to come. It tows my travel trailer (27ft) like a monster and the gas mileage is better than my previous 5.4L. What more could you want in a 400+ horsepower truck.

As for resale, I believe there will always be a market for this kind of engine.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:50 PM
SRT
Junior User
Originally Posted by MCDavis
And for your towing, wouldn't you rather have more than enough truck (F250) than just enough (F150)? Remember that we're talking about your loved one's safety here. Family, dogs, gear, toys. I'd rather have too much capability.

I've flown jets (military & commercial) for almost 40 years; so I'm pretty adept at assessing risk and running a safe operation. Trust me -- my dog will be just fine in an F150.

And speaking of my dog (since you brought her up), she too thinks it's dopey to only offer the 6.2L with a 5.5' bed and a crew cab -- pointing out that it's obviously not a weight or wheelbase issue.

Pretty smart dog -- hey? Let's hope Ford's marketing department catches up to her thinking.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:24 PM
Scorpion67
Elder User
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox
...why the concern for the future of the 6.2L?
I'm not concerned, I was just stating my opinion. It was more about other people saying Ford doesn't currently offer enough options.

Quick Reply: 6.2L -- Why Is The Availability So Restricted?