Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bouncing oil gauge

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 11:10 AM
onafixedincome
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bouncing oil gauge

Vehicle: High-mileage 1987 F150 PU. As a general rule, extremely reliable and happy truck.
Having seen some of the other threads on similar issues, I suspect I know what's happening, but would like some input, please!

Was on freeway, pulled into LHTurn lane and looked down to see my oil gauge dive left--all the way left! Made the turn shaking in my shoes, praying for my engine, and whoa! It came back up to normal!?!?

*scratching head*....hm.

Continue at moderate speed to next stoplight, downshift to 2nd and let it idle to the line. Gauge dives again! Sped up, it comes back up to the middle 'normal' place it usually sits.

:AUGH: !!!

Creep home. Let truck sit overnight to cool, nice and level, check the oil this morning...and it's normal. Full, even. Topped off the radiator, 'cause it was pretty low and the overflow bin was dry.

*going back to scratching head*

So. Gauge screwy with RPM. Oil full. Owner without a clue, tools, or skill. Mechanic on vacation.

Ideas are welcome!