1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Finally, going to put A/C in my 53!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 07:43 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Finally, going to put A/C in my 53!

A question for those with A/C in their trucks, did you use hoses only or a hardline kit? I know hardlines would look better, but hoses are easier I'm going to do an engine swap this weekend and try to get most of the A/C installed, so I guess I'll be busy.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:51 PM
BBKtech2
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hardlines are cool, but in my years of building trucks, I find that the fewer connection points you have with the A/C lines, the less chance you have for leaks.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:57 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
I agree that the least amout of connection is best... I talked to a friend that's an old AC guy... He said that the more connection you have you have increased the chances of leaks... but he also said that with the best quality equipment you shouldn't have any problem with your lines as long as your connections are the best as possible... I'm planning on going thru the inner fender and running a short rubber line from the compressor to the bulkhead and running hard lines in the fenderwell to the cab and using another bulkhead to pass thru cab... and ending with a short rubber from bulkhead and to the Evaporator... I just haven't decided where to place my dryer and safety switch... I'm planning on using Vintage Air products in mine.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:28 PM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used the hoses that came with the vintage air system and took some colored ties and ran them side by side. Plus if you ever need to take the motor out you can lay the compressor over to the side .

Old 05-26-2011, 07:08 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Moe Craig
I just haven't decided where to place my dryer and safety switch... I'm planning on using Vintage Air products in mine.
If using the Vintage Air unit, the safety switch will be mounted on one of the hardlines coming out of the evap unit inside. You can see the trinary switch on the hardline to the left in the pic below.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:37 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
OK, so I had to make a trip to the parts house this AM, picked up all of my hoses and fittings. I hope to get everything installed this weekend so that I can lay out the hoses and mark them to be crimped Mon.
Hopefully I can remember to take plenty of pics of the install I usually get busy and forget, then about the time I get through I think "now why didn't I take pics and document all of this?"
Here's the entire system laid out and ready to begin.

Attached Images  
Old 05-26-2011, 01:07 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
Hey Jeff,

Please do post pics. I'd like to see the install. Thanks

Old 05-26-2011, 01:16 PM
9teen56f100
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks about like the one I installed in my truck. Loosing a little glove box space is a small price for the added comfort. That should make the trip to pigeon forge nice and cool in June. See you there.
brian...

Old 05-26-2011, 05:42 PM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

Jeff, what kind of compressor is that? It looks like the GM "pancake" compressor. Vintage usually offers the sandon 508, which they say works better, but my brackets are made for the round pancake.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:01 PM
moose79
Senior User
whats the kit cost from vintage air?

Old 05-26-2011, 10:35 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by rhopper
Jeff, what kind of compressor is that? It looks like the GM "pancake" compressor. Vintage usually offers the sandon 508, which they say works better, but my brackets are made for the round pancake.
The compressor is a GM r4, it's what is stock on the Mercedes engine in my truck. Would love to use a Sanden, just can't figure out how to mount it.

Originally Posted by moose79
whats the kit cost from vintage air?
I am only using the evap kit from Vintage, all other parts have been gathered locally, so, I'm not sure what a complete kit costs.
Edit: Looks like a complete kit for a 53-56 F100 is $1150 per Vintage price sheet.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:40 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
a/c is in the future plan, but I need to see some installs with a flip front end. There won't be any hoses running all over the compartment for me !

I'm thinking hard lines that drop down the firewall, run tucked close to the frame rail then come up under the a/c compressor. etc... but boy would I like to see some pictures of someone who's done it either way in a flip front

john

Old 05-27-2011, 10:36 AM
ImSoQuazy
Senior User
On my wish / to do list.
I can't wait to read about your results.
Congrats & Happy Memorial Wknd!

Old 05-27-2011, 01:20 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
A Gen II great looking kit... Hope you have her working buy the on schedual... and looking forward to the writeup/pics of your install...

Old 05-27-2011, 06:16 PM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

GM R4 compressor is what I was talking about. That's what the serpentine belt system on my truck was made for. Vintage air said they have a mounting bracket to mate a sanden to my system, but there's no picture in the catalog so I don't know if it would work better than the R4.

Quick Reply: Finally, going to put A/C in my 53!