Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 11-24-2014, 05:46 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

How To: Power Steering Pump Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 09:06 PM
thrillbillydlux
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
could the fact that ford uses ATF instead of PSF be why when i turn i sometimes feel like there is a loss of steering momentarily and occasionally while driving straight? by the way thanks for the post, will be useful if i do end up having to replace/flush my PSP.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:12 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Could be a slipping belt or pump cavitation.
The recommended ATF is the correct viscosity and works with the seals in the system.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:15 PM
wildbill70cuda
New User
2000 Ford Excursion, changed power steering box but still have no power steering unless raving the truck up. Any suggestions. The fluid is filled. I checked the system for flow and that's fine. No restrictions, no clasped hoses. That's where I'm at. What should I try next?

Old 06-01-2011, 02:25 AM
xxshine
Senior User
I did away with the power steering on my 89 F-150 6 Cyl. Put a manual steering gear box in the place of. Hydraulic power steering is a thing of the past. It was old when it was new, cause of all the problems that went with hydraulic, and the weight too. Now there's electronic power steering.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:42 AM
nstueve
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wildbill70cuda
2000 Ford Excursion, changed power steering box but still have no power steering unless raving the truck up. Any suggestions. The fluid is filled. I checked the system for flow and that's fine. No restrictions, no clasped hoses. That's where I'm at. What should I try next?
You changed the steering box or the pump?

PS: you might try the Ford Excursion forum. The users there would have better ideas for you... My knowledge of Ford Trucks is stuck back in 1991 and earlier.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/

Originally Posted by xxshine
I did away with the power steering on my 89 F-150 6 Cyl. Put a manual steering gear box in the place of. Hydraulic power steering is a thing of the past. It was old when it was new, cause of all the problems that went with hydraulic, and the weight too. Now there's electronic power steering.
Not a bad idea if you want to spend $300+... From what I've read you can delete the PSP but you have to replace it with a electric motor to drive the new EPS. On old trucks like ours your going to need a 95-130amp alternator upgrade to drive it and recharge the battery after the extra drain. (newbies: A common 2G-to-3G swap with a Ford Taurus alternator is the prevalant option for upgrading alternators) Plus on the newer cars with EPS, the electric motor is mounted on the steering column itself...

Is there a bolt on option for our trucks? what is the amp draw from the electric motor? IF you have on your truck LET'S SEE PICS!

I'm all up for give FTE users/readers all the options!

Electric Power Steering

Old 06-04-2011, 01:31 AM
xxshine
Senior User
Don't have electronic power steering. Was just saying that hydraulic power steering was old when it was new. I put a manual steering gear box on. The motor just turns a Taurus alternator and water pump ( minus the clutch fan ). Electric fan replaces that ancient clutch fan.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:31 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Ahhhh, Now I see.

(from the Wiki)

"An engine or motor is a machine designed to convert energy into useful mechanical motion.

Devices converting heat energy into motion are referred to as engines, which come in many types. A common type is a heat engine such as an internal combustion engine which typically burns a fuel with air and uses the hot gases for generating power.

Another common type of motor is the electric motor. This takes electrical energy and generates mechanical motion via varying electromagnetic fields."

Old 06-07-2011, 09:07 AM
nstueve
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
Ahhhh, Now I see.

(from the Wiki)

"An engine or motor is a machine designed to convert energy into useful mechanical motion.

Devices converting heat energy into motion are referred to as engines, which come in many types. A common type is a heat engine such as an internal combustion engine which typically burns a fuel with air and uses the hot gases for generating power.

Another common type of motor is the electric motor. This takes electrical energy and generates mechanical motion via varying electromagnetic fields."
Do I detect a hint of sarcasm about the links I used??? I was just trying to post a few links that would help newbies see the difference. I'll admit, I didn't read the Elect Power Steering link... I was just using it for a visual.

Originally Posted by xxshine
Don't have electronic power steering. Was just saying that hydraulic power steering was old when it was new. I put a manual steering gear box on. The motor just turns a Taurus alternator and water pump ( minus the clutch fan ). Electric fan replaces that ancient clutch fan.
Doesn't a manual steering box make steering the vehicle harder? My mom used to have a Pontiac Fiero that had a manual steering box and that thing was kind of a b**ch to turn...

PS: you could technically get rid of everything except the alternator... If you really wanted to see how much drag the accessories put on the motor you could get a elec fan, elec PSP, elec water pump, and elect AC compressor/motor.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:27 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

No sarcasm.

When I think of a "motor" I think electric, or something else where power is directly applied to it.
I refer to an (internal combustion) "engine" when speaking of what provides motive force to our trucks.
Fuel is consumed to create heat that provides the mechanical motion.

xxshine stated his "motor" only turns the alternator and water pump.
I can see how that could be misconstrued.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:07 PM
nstueve
Postmaster
10-4.......

Old 11-14-2012, 10:51 AM
WCluck
New User
thanks

thank you from a new ford owner, just bought a 93 xl 150 2 weeks ago, and had a bad whine start saturday. already replaced the pump thanks to this info.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:58 PM
bbqllejo
New User
Very good write up thanks now i can start my project up this weekend and hopefully finish it sunday

Old 12-17-2013, 07:17 PM
66F250CS
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
OK - so I have a 1966 F-250 in which the PO installed a nice 1988 block 460. We have the same PS pump and bracket. We need to get the PS pump off the bracket. We now see how to do that - THANKS! So now, how do you get the pulley back on? Somehow reverse the puller? Maybe this is a completely stupid question, but humor me

Old 12-17-2013, 07:31 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

The end of the shaft should be threaded.
You can pull it on with a long bolt, using a nut and washer.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:38 PM
66F250CS
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
OK, that was a stupid question! Thanks

Quick Reply: How To: Power Steering Pump Replacement