1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

New Project: 1966 FOrd F100, Short Bed, Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 11:30 PM
militos
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks so much 65Jim.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:34 PM
militos
Junior User
ha,ha Tobys, can I really changed?? frrshman make me feel like,...Fresco!

Some one told me here that I have to post a million postings before I can get a Promotion on my tittle??

so,,until then I'm in not hurry to be titled "el Chingon", hope it comes soon.

salud.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:02 PM
militos
Junior User
Hello, I habe benn busy trying to get the right trans for my truck as you guys remember.

Well I got the AOD , and talking to my profecional Trans guru ,,this thing is going to suck on some money that I don't have right now,,(sure have listened to Señor Dummy) but any ways,, little by little and with patiance,,I found another T4, top loader transmission stick in real good sahpe, it seems to be a few inches shorter from the tail shaft but is the same thing as the one that's brokend in my truck right now.

I noticed the one in my truck has a Ticker front Shaft (were the splines are), and the one I purchased has a little skinnier front shaft?

Question, by looking at the diagram of the trasnmission I can see that it need to be dessasambled to make the swap, but is this possible? I think that my broken old trans may have been in a Big block FORD, wile the one I just got came out of a Stright SIX cyl engine for sure!!

Help!!

have a nice one.
I will save the AOD for some future work. ( I got 3 transmission now seating in my farage, ha,ha,ha and none of them work right now, ( can I say FACK!!!).

thanks every one. how is every one here??

Old 08-05-2011, 10:21 PM
Wills1966F100
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
greetings militos

I have an idea. Ask your transmission guy if he will do the AOD transmission in exchange for the other transmissions? My transmission guy will swap parts all day long. I'm not a transmission expert and I recently paid to have my C4 and torque converter rebuilt which is why I suggest that. I think the T4 top loader that fits 302 engines is 28 splines. I think they made T4 top loaders kind of like rear axles with 28-31 splines. Search for identification charts for T4 top loader transmissions. They are out there and will help you identify what you need. Good luck with it.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:53 PM
militos
Junior User
good idea, I'll try that tomorrow morning.

Thanks Wills1966F100.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:53 PM
militos
Junior User
Ha,ha, I went to my Transmission guy, he's most of the time very social when become sto technicla questions,,but this is the 3rd time I show up with out any work for them to make some %$$$%, and in short words he told me to F off but he dide in a very nice way.

Any ways, here is whta I'm going to do regardles of bla bla bla,,
I'm going to order a clutch Disk and a pressure plate , trow out bearing, and the pilot bearring for this Transmission that I just got (the T4), and I'll will install this to the truck, this trans fits fine in the existing bell housing.

Now I'm going to put here the link to a web page that I found after looking on line for this new used t4 trans,,it's a little de[ressing,,ha,ha,ha,,.

this top loader is call the Top Loader IMpostor,!!ha,ha,ha,,I almost Hang my self after reading that!!

Toploader Imposters

this are the codes in my TRans: RUG CD, and they are in that web page, ha,ha,ha.

o.k I have laught to much,,I better go back to watch my favor TV Novela, (Sopa hopera) TERESA.

thanks.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:05 AM
Wills1966F100
Senior User
Hey it never hurts to ask. So David Kee says you have a toploader imposter. This site sells rebuild kits for these transmissions and has some good information available:Ford Toploader 4 Speed Transmission. According to them the imposter is a three speed overdrive transmission with different gear ratios. They mention that they were installed in "light duty pickup trucks and vans" and are fine for street usage. Good luck with the installation and let me know how it goes.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:45 PM
militos
Junior User
Wills1966F100 yea, here is an update:
yesterday I removed the clutch assambly form the truck engine, I removed the pilot bearing (it was shot never replaced before provably), today I'll get the new clutch assambly, with pilot bearing and the whole thing.

I'll install the top leader Impostor,,(ha,ha still love this terminology about the transmission), this week, and then I will deal witht eh exhaust, we are moving along with this project, I subscrived to a GYM so I'm a little more slim than before, I can fit under the truck and roll any way I want.
Ha,ha,.

I'll place pictures of the trans later on.

thanks.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:35 PM
Wills1966F100
Senior User
Alright militos! You are going to have a smooth shifting truck when you get done. The overdrive gear should work well with the 302. Good to hear that you are back in the gym. I used to get free gym over at the college nearby. It was so nice but after a few years they stopped it and kicked out all the gym rats lol. So I could fit under my truck at that time lol. Everyone here is inspiring me to get back to work on mine again which I need to do. I look forward to hearing about your progress with the project and the imposter.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:47 PM
militos
Junior User
I gorgot to mention,,there was a Mouse or Rat nest right between the sheet metal spacer and the block.

I removed the pilot Bearring, it was a solid bushing, so, teh clutch set that I purchased came with the two options, a pilot bearring, and the pilot busshing, I decided to install the Bearing.

Today I tok the sheet metal spacer over to my locla mechanic shop,,,they washed and cleaned for me for free, very nive guys, and there was no work on the truck today due to that MExican national team SUb 20 was playing semifinals vs. Brasil,,my hopes were great during the whole game until last 10 minutes, Brasil 2, Mexico 0.

who cares,,but at least I drinked a few beers wile watching the game,he,he.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:49 PM
militos
Junior User
ha,ha I got alittle promotion on my tittle I think,,now they call me a Jr. User!!
it some how makes me feel a little like puverty boy.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:28 PM
militos
Junior User
I'm replying to my own msgs, ha,ha, hella funny.

Any ways, today my son and I got some wevos and got to the truck...and since I have been going to the Gym,,I'm feeling like ,,Superman,,or more or less like Nacho Libre.

The Trasmission is in, Bolted and ready, only thing is that I stil have to get more parts,,the Clutch adjusting Rod ,,,is Shorter now,,with the new clutch fork and trow out bearring, so I have been in this situation before ,,so I know how to solve this issue.

I need to find the little PLastic Busshings that go in the Transmission linkage,,I don't have any,,and I just dont want to install the Shifter and lincage with out this little plastic busshings, (any one know where to find them?)/

so, the Next big thing will be to see if the trans crossmenber fits perfetc,,or I may have to drill new holes, not aproblem, and the drive shaft..still need to see if it's going to fit?

tell you more later every one, have a nice day.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Wills1966F100
Senior User
I am still following along as you make updates to the project. I have been very busy but I also got going the other day and did some serious front end work on my truck including rotate tires, oil change and filter stuff. I will post some pictures later as I still have some more work to do, but it looks pretty good. I still need to defeat some vibrations and rattles due to some missing bolts.

Unfortunately I don't know much about the questions you are asking, except for the futbol ones lol. I don't know what plastic bushings you are talking about but I bet they've got a lot of them at the parts store if you know the size? Good luck finding them.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:36 PM
militos
Junior User
Great,,,I got good news tis time.

I got the Top loader in, I found the bushing/clips for the Linkage at my local auto parts, (Hecho en Mexico).

I installed the Transmission and conected the stick with new bushings and clips on it, let me see if I can attach some pictures of the whole thing.

Hope to conect the drive shaft with out any modifications next weekend, and than take it to the muffler shop for a Dual moffler ..the muffler ends will come out right in front of the Rear tires on each side,,(have anybody experience to many fume scommming through the window by puting the muffler tips right in front of the rear tire)?

Thanks every one.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:21 PM
Wills1966F100
Senior User
Looks good militos! I hope your driveshaft will fit. I am also working on putting on a dual exhaust, but you are ahead of me.

I bought used headers off a 300 six. I have to get them cleaned up and installed along with the dual exhaust. I don't have the money for it so I have been doing other stuff. I uploaded a few more pictures to my garage showing my new/used grill and front bumper that I put on the other day. I'm a chrome 1965 custom cab now lol.

I have a single exhaust right now that goes in front of the passenger side tire and no smoke in the cab. My tip is getting rusty though and I need to replace it. I think I am also going to keep them in front of the tires. Do you have mufflers and everything already?

Quick Reply: New Project: 1966 FOrd F100, Short Bed, Help!!