Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-16-2011, 08:54 PM
New User

bubba_v2008 is starting off with a positive reputation.
99 f350 7.3l 4x4 rearend diff fluid

i have a 99 ford f350 lariat 4x4 i have to change the front seal on my rear diff. i know what kind of gear oil to use the 75w140 synth i plan on using the royal purple my question is how much do i need i want to completly change the fluid. my other question is what rearend do i have there is a tag on the rearend that reads 3 S 409 E
L73 10 5 9F24

any help will be greatly appriated thanks.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:31 AM
Postmaster

brian42 has a great reputation on FTE.brian42 has a great reputation on FTE.brian42 has a great reputation on FTE.brian42 has a great reputation on FTE.brian42 has a great reputation on FTE.brian42 has a great reputation on FTE.
The "L73" would indicate that you have a 3.73 Limited Slip differential in the rear.

IIRC my rear took just under 2 gallons (8 quarts) to fill from empty.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:00 PM
2 bit Californian

bpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputationbpounds has a superb reputation
bill.pounds.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian42 View Post
IIRC my rear took just under 2 gallons (8 quarts) to fill from empty.
It is not nearly that much.

Assuming this F350 is a SRW model, you have a Ford Sterling 10.5" rear diff. Fluid capacity is 3.3L. You will need to buy 4 quarts and will have a bit left over.

As Brian said, it is limited slip. So make sure the oil has friction modifier built in. I'm pretty sure RP does, but check the bottle. Mobil 1 is also a good choice. Synthetic is required.

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Old 05-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Postmaster

Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
The best is to find a manual. I do have Dana80 what is the biggest (?) differential installed on those trucks and 2 gallon bottles had lot left in the second.
Always good idea is to measure drain oil for starting point.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:22 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
1999, 73l, 99, change, changing, differential, duty, end, f350, f450, fluid, ford, oil, rear, specs, super