Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with fuel issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 08:04 PM
bobruss
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with fuel issue

My old truck is a 96 F250, 2wd with 5.8, automatic E4OD, dual tanks, map sensor, over 8500 lbs. It has no obdii port. Mileage is 326000. Truck was off the road for 6 months while I replaced the springs, hangers, shocks, tanks, pumps, box and tailgate. Have driven it over 1000 miles since I put it back on the road and no issues at all.

Yesterday I was driving home in a bad rain (never a problem, most likely not related). After about 30 miles, the truck started to backfire, buck, snort and then quit. It seem like it was starting to run wicked lean. I shut it off and turned the key on and off a few times on both the front tank and the rear tank, and the pumps come on when the key comes on and then they shut off after a couple seconds, just like they always have. I put 30.00 worth of gas into each tank yesterday morning.

It restarted a few times for a few seconds then nothing. Each time when it did start it would hesitate and stumble if you stepped on the throttle any at all. I thought perhaps the ignition control module had gone bad, it kinda sound the same as it did the last time the ign mod died. So I came home and started my other F150 with the same map sensor and ign mod, and it ran fine. I pulled the parts of it because the local auto parts was closed for the night, and I wanted to get the truck off the road. I also grabbed a few fuel filter I had as a spare. I went back and put the filter, map sensor and the ign mod on the f250 but no go, it won't even burp. Pumps still kick on when the key is turned on, then shuts off after the system is charged.

The fuel filter I took off was not plugged, wasn't even dirty and no water. I put the map sensor and the ign mod I took off the f250 onto the f150 when I got home and it started right up and ran fine. So I am assuming that they would have worked on the f250 as well.

Today I went back and played with it. The pumps still come on and charge the system then shut off. It will spray fuel for a mile out of a line when disconnected (from either tank). But, there does not seem to be any pressure in the fuel rail. I checked it on the schrader valve and nothing. Even with the switch on and the system charged there does not seem to be any pressure on the rail.

I was thinking it might be the fuel pressure regulator. I did notice that when I was testing the pumps before I put the box on it that it would return fuel to the rear tank when the switch was set for the front, so I think the FPR is marginal at best.

The local autoparts doesn't have one but can get it but it will be Tuesday. Funny thing is, they have one is stock for a Jaguar X series, but not for a Ford truck?? Anybody have any input? It is setting on state land and needs to be moved, and it is a ways from home. I really don't want to tow it and I can't work on it very well where it is at.

I was hoping someone might enlighten me a bit more.

Thanks for any input.

Bob

Old 05-15-2011, 11:49 PM
bobruss
New User
Anybody????

Anybody got any ideas? Really want to get the truck running tomorrow.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:22 AM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
I just went through this problem. Here's the thread. Good luck.

On-going fuel issue, 89 f-250 I6

Old 05-16-2011, 07:20 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 229 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by bobruss
I was thinking it might be the fuel pressure regulator. I did notice that when I was testing the pumps before I put the box on it that it would return fuel to the rear tank when the switch was set for the front, so I think the FPR is marginal at best.
Returning fuel to the wrong tank has nothing to do with the FPR. That sounds like a bad FDM (pump/check valve) in the rear tank.

However the FPR could be stuck open but not likely. Try pulling the hose off the FPR and turn the on and off. If fuel comes out of the nipple on top it is bad.

I do not know what year the other F150 is but the Ignition Control Module (ICM) on the 96 needs to be Black in color, if it is gray it is the wrong one. But the color of the ICM would not be your problem right now.

You need to check for spark and if you do not have any then change the Stator in the Distributor (PIP sensor). Or change out the Distributor.
Also check the plug on the Ignition coil as it will give problems too.

You might also run the Self-Test and see if you have any codes.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:31 AM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
Yeah, I had that problem with the fuel to the wrong tank in my 94. I had to change the fpr, to the newer stainless steel type, and change the front fuel module. It's fine now.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:01 PM
bobruss
New User
It's alive

Well, a trip to Autozone and a replacement Ignition Module cured the truck........AGAIN.

Not sure why but when the ICM goes kaput in this truck it acts like it is not getting gas. It will even have spark and still not run. Change it out and a way it goes. Happens once a year.

Thing that puzzles me is it wouldn't run on the module from my F150, but the F150 would run on the module that I took of the 250. How the hell is that possible??

Anyway, thanks for the replies and the input, greatly appreciated. Good luck with your FoMoCo projects. Bob

Old 05-16-2011, 01:51 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 229 Likes on 178 Posts
Sounds like a week PIP train.
Some times the ICM will see the PIP and the computer will not and the fuel pumps will not run then but you may have spark.
I would guess that both ICM are good.