Arkansas Chapter Join Chapter Leader: Kramercd

Who's up for some wrenchin in a couple of weeks? -Back on for 7/9 !

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 09:42 PM
tojoski
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mechmagcn
Wish I could lend a hand fellas, but I already know I have to work this Sat and will be out of town the next, so..... don't work too hard. And Joe, I hope you get your truck back on the road.
No worries Jeff, we all know how you feel about working on powerstrokes anyway...

Originally Posted by zhilton
I've got four 3-ton jack stands and a 3 ton floorjack....the sad part is I'm working Saturday as well. After last week's firestorm (management playing dirty) and a 12 day paid vacation coming up...I need to work as much as I can right now and get my name back below the radar. One of these days I'm going to make it to a wrench party.

PS: If someone is willing to come to FSM, I can have the boy help you load the stands & jack. I'd have him run 'em down...but at 10, he's not covered by our insurance policy
Hey he's only 4 years away from learner's permit time, you gonna let him drive the princess?

Originally Posted by cookie88
I've got a pair of 6 ton stands and a 3 ton jack. I'll bring them.
Awesome, thanks

It has turned into quite the little pile of goodies. Of course if I can't get it running before then we might spend our time hunting down ghosts.

<iframe title ="Preview" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" frameborder="0" style="width:320px;height:239px;padding:0;backgrou nd-color:#fcfcfc;" src="https://skydrive.live.com/embedphoto.aspx/.Public/d8.jpg?cid=252b282fb69007b3&sc=documents"></iframe>

Anything there that I'm missing? besides some anti-seize and some pb blaster to soak down the exhaust?

Old 07-06-2011, 09:59 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Probably should start soaking the lower up pipe bolts now. Are we going to gut the EBV while the turbo is off?

Old 07-07-2011, 12:11 AM
Will P.
Senior User
I'd like to help out but I'll be working also. I don't know much about diesels anyway.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:07 AM
tojoski
Posting Guru
Are we going to gut the EBV while the turbo is off?
I had hoped to, I picked up a 1/4 npt plug, and a 20mm freeze plug

Old 07-07-2011, 11:32 AM
tojoski
Posting Guru
Probably should start soaking the lower up pipe bolts now.
Will do, I'll soak them all down this evening. ETA on my CPS is tomorrow..I'll get that slapped on and hopefully get it running

Old 07-07-2011, 06:21 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you noticing the tach moving while cranking? Do you have AE or a scanner to monitor RPMs while cranking? I hope it is the CPS, but just trying to help diagnose.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:04 PM
tojoski
Posting Guru
It bounces a little, I'd say one bounce per 5 secs. of cranking

I've got a superchips that I use to pull the codes, but it doesn't have any way to monitor RPMs.
It was idling in park, and it just died as though you shut off the key..no stuttering or stumbling

Old 07-08-2011, 10:23 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tojoski
No worries Jeff, we all know how you feel about working on powerstrokes anyway...
One of these days we're going to have to have an intervention with Jeff and convert him over to the dark side
Hey he's only 4 years away from learner's permit time, you gonna let him drive the princess?
Eh, we'll see...that allot of power under the hood for a teenager to handle. Right now the plan is to "loan" the Explorer to him. I figure the 4.0L is underpowered enough to keep him out of trouble...but will run fast enough to get him a speeding ticket; that will cost him driving privileges. He doesn't bother me as much as his sister...I think I'm going to take up drinking when she turns 16. By the way, thanks for reminding me that I'm getting older.
Originally Posted by Will P.
I'd like to help out but I'll be working also. I don't know much about diesels anyway.
Once you learn to speak Powerstroke...you can fix any Ford from that point on. The PSD are the cream of the Ford crop...nothing higher on the food chain.
It bounces a little, I'd say one bounce per 5 secs. of cranking

I've got a superchips that I use to pull the codes, but it doesn't have any way to monitor RPMs. It was idling in park, and it just died as though you shut off the key..no stuttering or stumbling
Since I drive the black sheep of the chapter () I can only throw a couple of ideas out there. When you said it died like you shut the key off...I thought ICP. But if it was that, you should be able to get it to restart...especially if you unplugged it. It would restart with the ICP unplugged which would confirms it's the ICP; your mileage & performance would suffer...but I don't think that's an issue right now. Still sounds like the CPS or part of the harness leading to it.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:48 AM
1996pwrstrk
Cargo Master
I have to work tonite we had equipment breakdowns on the well and put us behind, hoping to finish it up by Sat am . I will be over just a matter of when.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:02 PM
mudder460
Posting Guru
What time are you looking to kick this off Joe? I will try to head up that way for a bit, just need a chair for my dad to sit in cause he can't stand very long.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:36 PM
tojoski
Posting Guru
I'm going to try to get started pretty early, around 8:00 but feel free to drop by anytime. We've got plenty of chairs..

You remember how to get here?

Old 07-08-2011, 06:54 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
was planning on being there around 7, but 8 works too.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:57 PM
tojoski
Posting Guru
Alright, I replaced the CPS and no joy... so I moved on the fuel system..

I put a hose on the fuel bowl drain and opened the valve, turned the key on and I just had a trickle out of the drain. Pulled the filter and my god what a mess in there.

I spent the next 2 hours getting all the mess out of the bottom of the bowl, and the drain was plugged at the top.. got a new filter in it and I had a good stream the size of the pencil out of the drain.. still no joy

Right before I called it an evening I pulled the plug on the ICP and it's full of oil.. might this be the culprit?

Old 07-08-2011, 11:21 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Right before I called it an evening I pulled the plug on the ICP and it's full of oil.. might this be the culprit?
It might. I'll bring my spare.....if I can find it. Also check the pal nut on the back of the IPR. If the solenoid is loose it will do the same thing.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:52 PM
tojoski
Posting Guru
I'll check the nut first thing in the morning. If the ICP is bad, I should be able to start it with it unplugged right?

Quick Reply: Who's up for some wrenchin in a couple of weeks? -Back on for 7/9 !