Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

2011 Shudder at 5 kph

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 01:41 PM
Rancheroracer
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Just got back from Divisional finals at Vegas. Had about 300 or 400 pounds in truck, (canopy, chairs, bucket anchors, etc.), & noticed shudder comes back with even that little amount of weight. It's ok when truck is empty. Still in contact with dealer, nothing new yet though.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:22 PM
Mo Power
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Rancheroracer - My dealer is going to replace my springs and shim the differential. Was your differential shimmed along with your springs?

Old 10-06-2011, 02:04 AM
Rancheroracer
More Turbo
They installed spacers with the springs, just like original springs had spacers. I think these spacers are same thickness front to rear, originals were tapered. I think the 4x4s use the spacer blocks, probably not there on 2 wheel models, (for ride height).

Old 10-10-2011, 09:55 AM
MrCruisin55
Freshman User
Finally got the Roadmaster Active Suspension installed on my F150 Screw. I let the garage install them as they have the lift etc. making it easier. I am carrying about 600lbs between the 6.5' bed and rear seat. The shudder is not totally gone but barely noticeable now, the mechanic advised me to drive around with it for a week or so to give the roadmaster setup a chance to work itself in, he then wants me to come back to adjust the pre-tension (a part of the setup procedure) to see if we can totally eliminate the shudder.
The overall feel of this setup is fantastic when driving and cornering etc. It gave about 1.5" of lift over stock.
The cost was about $470. cdn. installed

Old 10-10-2011, 10:26 AM
rhaugh
New User
Thanks, I'll wait to see how you do with the adjustment. That is the most positive response other than an entire new single piece drive line that I have heard.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:21 PM
Justjimmy
Senior User
Old 10-12-2011, 07:04 PM
Mo Power
New User
New Springs

I just had my rear leaf springs replaced under warranty to address the shudder.

Driving the truck unloaded felt much better. I couldn't even detect any shudder when accelerating from a stop. Next week I will haul my boat and load down the bed to see if the shudder comes back.

Ford seems to have a fix. Hopefully the truck won't shudder under load.

There is a new TSB on the shudder. Ford has recognized the axle wrap issue...

Here is the part number of the new leaf springs if anyone is interested:
AL3Z-5560-C (Springs look much more robust than the older ones)

My truck is a 2011 XLT Screw with 6.5 foot bed. Mfg. on November 2010.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:32 PM
MrCruisin55
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Mo Power

Driving the truck unloaded felt much better. I couldn't even detect any shudder when accelerating from a stop. Next week I will haul my boat and load down the bed to see if the shudder comes back.

You mentioned in an earlier post that they were going to shim as well, did they do that also?

Old 10-12-2011, 09:12 PM
Mo Power
New User
Originally Posted by MrCruisin55
You mentioned in an earlier post that they were going to shim as well, did they do that also?
Yes.

Based on Rancheroracer's comments, I may not be out of the woods yet. He loaded his truck down and the shudder returned, but not as bad as before.

Rancheroracer - Have you been in contact with Ford lately?

Old 10-13-2011, 12:02 AM
Rancheroracer
More Turbo
Yes, they said nothing new, still waiting to hear back. Dealer said he hasn't heard anything new from engineering, no other fixes yet. I'm going to call Ford again tomorrow.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:34 PM
ilmo
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mo Power

Do you have the new TSB number and details that you could share as you mentioned above?

Thanks

Old 10-13-2011, 06:14 PM
Mo Power
New User
Originally Posted by ilmo
Do you have the new TSB number and details that you could share as you mentioned above?

Thanks

TSB number is 11-9-17 (Replace Rear Springs)

Old 10-14-2011, 08:22 AM
MrCruisin55
Freshman User
I just found this online concerning TSB 11-9-17. Interesting that it specifies CREW cab and not SCREW.

TSB
11-9-17

Released Oct 3, 2011
ISSUE:
Some 2010-2011 F-150 CrewCab 4X4 with 3.988 m (157") wheelbase built on or before 6/21/2011 may exhibit a shudder/vibration on moderate to hard acceleration.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

It is important to confirm how the vehicle is driven the majority of the time (loaded or unloaded) as adjusting the driveline angle may result in a shudder or vibration if vehicle payload changes frequently.

This procedure should only be used to correct or improve a shudder or vibration in described condition as per vehicle build configuration.

Some shudder/vibration on take-off may be normal under heavyload or trailer tow conditions. Refer to the Owners Guide and Towing Guide for additional information/specifications regarding towing and vehicle loading. With spring configuration on 3.988 m (157") wheelbase, the shudder/vibration concern may occur when loaded or unloaded.

This procedure will improve the severity of takeoff shudder/vibration based on vehicle load conditions.

The procedure Has you change pinion angle with spacers and/or replace rear springs to the latest revision level to Help IMPROVE the shudder.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:00 AM
Justjimmy
Senior User
Originally Posted by MrCruisin55
I just found this online concerning TSB 11-9-17. Interesting that it specifies CREW cab] and not SCREW.

TSB
11-9-17

Released Oct 3, 2011
ISSUE:
Some 2010-2011 F-150 CrewCab 4X4 with 3.988 m (157") wheelbase built on or before 6/21/2011 may exhibit a shudder/vibration on moderate to hard acceleration.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

It is important to confirm how the vehicle is driven the majority of the time (loaded or unloaded) as adjusting the driveline angle may result in a shudder or vibration if vehicle payload changes frequently.

This procedure should only be used to correct or improve a shudder or vibration in described condition as per vehicle build configuration.

Some shudder/vibration on take-off may be normal under heavyload or trailer tow conditions. Refer to the Owners Guide and Towing Guide for additional information/specifications regarding towing and vehicle loading. With spring configuration on 3.988 m (157") wheelbase, the shudder/vibration concern may occur when loaded or unloaded.

This procedure will improve the severity of takeoff shudder/vibration based on vehicle load conditions.

The procedure Has you change pinion angle with spacers and/or replace rear springs to the latest revision level to Help IMPROVE the shudder.

J/C man! I've been complaining about this since February, 2011 and I have a Super Cab! I have the same wheelbase but experience the same thing. I have 2WD and was built on 12/22/2010.

Why isn't my type truck included in this TSB?

Come on FORD!

AHHHHHHHHHHH!! **** me off!

Old 10-18-2011, 05:36 AM
ilmo
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any updates you guys can share on the spring changes? Have they helped on loaded and unloaded conditions? Towing?

I am going in this morning to get the spline yoke problem solved, but this will not address the shudder I have, only the bump feel when I accelerate from a complete stop. I am going to mention the spring replacement and spacers.

Thanks

Quick Reply: 2011 Shudder at 5 kph