Sponsored by: Moser

2011 Shudder at 5 kph

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 12:32 PM
Wandering Elk
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shudder or vibration at initial acceleration

I have a 2009 F150 Super cab with 6.5’ bed with the two part drive shaft.

I have the same problem as is described in these threads. Here is what I have learned so far:
Dealer replaced the boot and silicon grease on the slip joint of the split drive shaft.

Dealer found a Technical Service Bulleting describing the realignment of the drive shaft support bearing.

After doing both of these procedures, the shudder is greatly reduced but it is still noticeable and I suspect that when I tow our ski boat, will notice it more than driving without this load.

I am interested in learning what else may be causing this problem.

Wandering Elk

Old 05-17-2011, 10:22 PM
Mo Power
New User
Shudder

Hi - I have a 2011 F150 Supercrew with the 6.5 foot bed. At low speeds 0-30 mph, I experience vibrations through the gas pedal and steering wheel. The vibrations only happen when the truck is accelerating and when it is under load. The truck was road tested by a Ford tech and he also noticed the vibrations. I'll let you guys know when the truck is repaired next Tuesday. I seem to think it is drive shaft related...

Old 05-17-2011, 11:51 PM
Wandering Elk
New User
Shudder @ low speed acceleration

Thanks for this reply. I am very interested to see what they may find. Ask if they can do a dynamic test I'm the whole drive shaft. Another option is to mount a wireless camera with a strong magnet focused on the bearing and then do a road test to see if the shudder source can be identified. We will all keep shooting in the dark until someone can identify the root cause. Since your dealership tech has felt it, please ask him if he can search the Oasis data base to see what might be listed there. My last recommendation is to find a contact in Dearborn for Ford Parts & Service in Dearborn to see if there is any engineering investigation going on about this issue.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:21 AM
MrCruisin55
Freshman User
For people that feel the shudder comes from the torque converter or tranny, somebody from another thread suggested using.....

LUBEGARD Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant

However if you read this carefully it says "EXCEPT FORD"

Old 05-18-2011, 07:59 AM
Justjimmy
Senior User
Well, truck's in the shop today - going to change the Valve Body. Supposed to be ready tonight. I've mentioned that I could feel the shudder when accelerating quickly so I'll see if it makes a difference when I pick 'er up tonight. I'll be towing my 8K load this coming weekend where the "real test" will be.

I'll post what I discover tonight and then again next week after I come back from camping.

Wish me luck!

Old 05-18-2011, 10:46 AM
ilmo
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck and thanks for keeping us updated. I am very interested in resolution of this problem and how your outcome will be. So please keep us informed. I will be taking mine in next month for service and plan on mentioning the shudder to the dealer then.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:12 PM
Wandering Elk
New User
Thanks for everyone's help.

I am very interested to see if they can find the root cause of this shudder or vibration.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:27 PM
Justjimmy
Senior User
Dealer just called - valve body is installed. Going to get it soon and I'll let you know how it feels on the way home. Again, the real test will be this weekend towing but I should be able to tell a little if I push it hard enough.

More to come.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:37 PM
Justjimmy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Justjimmy
Dealer just called - valve body is installed. Going to get it soon and I'll let you know how it feels on the way home. Again, the real test will be this weekend towing but I should be able to tell a little if I push it hard enough.

More to come.
well, got it back and drove it home (not towing). Couldn't seem to replicate the original issue. Remember it was hard to sense the issue unless I was towing. Looks like I'm going to have to wait till Friday to really test it out for sure.

I DID discover a NEW issue though... when I drive slowly, shifting from 1 - 2- 3 at low RPM (1000 to 1500) it "slams" into 4th gear - HARD. Didn't do THAT before.

I drove it straight home from the dealer and will try again tomorrow to see if the 4th gear slam still happens.

Grrrrr

Old 05-18-2011, 10:51 PM
Wandering Elk
New User
2011 shudder reply

Thanks for this update. I hope you can find out why the shift into 4th gear is hard.

I am interested to see if the shudder is still there when you are towing a load.

Good luck.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:25 PM
Justjimmy
Senior User
Took the truck at lunch and the 4th gear hard shift seems to be gone however; I am getting the subtle feel of the tranny shudder again at the end of 1st and 2nd gears.

I'm going to get my camper in the morning and will hopefully post my results after I get it home and before I leave for the weekend. If not, I'll post again on Sunday night.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:33 AM
Justjimmy
Senior User
Update:

Real simple - it didn't work. Rumbles just as it did before - as a matter of fact, I think it's worse.

Let me explain... the service they did certainly didn't help and when I say " I think it's worse" I mean it was getting worse every time I towed - even before the service. I don't think they made it worse, I think their service wasn't focused on the right issue.

I hope this makes sense.

I'll be taking it in again soon - possibly next week.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:03 AM
Big-Red-Lariat
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i went through this shudder problem and endless diagnoses on a 2003 Lariat.
Flashed the computer several times, changed the driveshaft and a whole bunch of other stuff and they never did find it after dozens of service visits and loaner trucks...finally settled on a free extended warranty. Then lost the truck in a write-off accident (best thing that ever happened to it!) and they wouldn't move the free warranty on my new truck. All this to say "got screwed".
Good luck.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:46 AM
Justjimmy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Big-Red-Lariat
i went through this shudder problem and endless diagnoses on a 2003 Lariat.
Flashed the computer several times, changed the driveshaft and a whole bunch of other stuff and they never did find it after dozens of service visits and loaner trucks...finally settled on a free extended warranty. Then lost the truck in a write-off accident (best thing that ever happened to it!) and they wouldn't move the free warranty on my new truck. All this to say "got screwed".
Good luck.
Wow. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come for us.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:51 AM
llmorris75
New User
Has anyone had this problem and had it corrected?

Quick Reply: 2011 Shudder at 5 kph