Quick question

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 11:24 AM
osirussk8r
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick question

Hey guys,

I have a 94.5 F350 with the 7.3 DI. My question is what is the best route on making more power as far as turbo setups go? The idea is to make more power but still retain the aspects of being able to daily drive it and tow with it. Also looking for input in regards to factory turbo setups from all the powerstrokes vs aftermarket.

Thanks in advance,
Sheldon
<!-- / message -->
<!-- controls -->

Old 05-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Before I answer, I must ask a question: Why are you thinking to replace the stock turbo? Is there an issue with yours? If you're looking for a bit of a kick in power, you probably don't need a turbo upgrade right away

generally, the upgrade order goes as follows:

1) Intake exhaust gauges DP
2) Chip
3) Injectors (possible trans upgrades if you're throwing power at it)
3A) Possible HPOP upgrade depending on injectors
4) Turbo

Also, converting over to electric fuel and inter-cooling are in that list somewhere

Doing 1 and 2 above will get you noticeable power, and you will probably be under a grand.

Doing 1, 2 and 3 above will get you some very respectable gains, depending on injector choice while retaining drive-ability and not eating a 'huge' hole in your wallet. I use that term loosely, as you will be looking at 'maybe' 2 grandish range for 1,2 and 3.

as you only have a couple posts, I'm not sure of the extent of you knowlage on the 7.3. some of the most important upgrades that you want to do first are get air in and out of you engine faster, and monitoring what's happening. See below

Originally Posted by Robbgt
The first couple of mods you want to do involve getting air in/out faster and monitoring what's happening in the engine. Most here have some variation of the Napa "6637" filter intake. As for exhaust, the Downpipe, and catalytic converter are the most restrictive parts. Most get a 3" DP and ditch the cat. You can also ditch the muffler if you want to hear the turbo sing!

As for the monitoring portion, you want to get some gauges to see what's going on in your engine. A pyrometer monitors your exhaust gas temperatures and lets you see how hot the gasses are. This is important because the pistons are made of aluminum with a melting point of 1250ºF. Quick bursts up over that are not a problem for sled pulling or drag racing, but sustained high EGT's are not good. Most also do a boost gauge and a trans temp gauge to watch those as well

Feel free to do some shopping around. One of our site sponsor is RiffRaff diesel. Riffraff Diesel the owner is Clay and he has some very competitive pricing on things
Hope this helps

Good Luck

Old 05-05-2011, 12:27 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
I give Robb's post a +1

Old 05-05-2011, 12:28 PM
JamesHajek
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great post Robbgt... Reps sent...

Old 05-05-2011, 10:25 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Thanks for reps guys! appreciate it

Old 05-06-2011, 10:00 AM
MagKarl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Somewhere at the step 2 or for sure step 3 level you'll need an intercooler if you want to tow and use any of that upgraded power.