6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Racing a 6.0 vs. modded 7.3... input PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 03:45 PM
V10haulin'
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well... it aint happening today i guess. he said he has to go run something. probably this weekend... i just gave the 6.0 a pretty decent launch on the way home in 2wd and had them broke loose for a couple seconds. 4WD???...

Old 05-04-2011, 04:07 PM
rdunagan
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sure if you want to put new hubs on afterwards

Old 05-04-2011, 04:20 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sound like you are new at this....
until you are comfortable with exactly how your truck reacts and used to racing...
I would suggest you not... especially on a 2 lane road where there is no margin for error....
consider praticing the launch @ the strip alone until it is second nature and you only have to think about staying on the road - not anything else...

ALL, I repeat, ALL that have 4x4 use it at the track --- and don't worry about turning it off at any distance - wait until the end of the track with no speed to turn it off...

no need for a distraction while racing

in 4x4 with a boosted launch you should be able to cut a sub 3 second 60 foot (tuned trucks do sub 2 seconds with good driver and launch)

Old 05-04-2011, 04:49 PM
Fordnatic68
Senior User
Wow alot of you have no faith in this engine! I have stressed my 6.o to the MAX and still run original head gaskets. Ive raced plenty, done smoke shows in front of the High school for my son and his buddys to laugh at and did one that was so bloody long my engine temp went to 228 deg! Still runs like a hot damn ( other than a vref short to ground harness arrives tomorrow mornin) Im stacked Edge and PPe with meth and a garrett powermax turbo and still cant blow this engine up.

My advice, lose the cat if you can without gov bs. Racin would be best on a track but hell we raced on old farm roads barely wide enough for 2 vehicles, with frost heaves. One time in my first truck a 71 f100 that i put a 460 auto into i was bouncin so bad from the dips n rises in the road that i literally caught air and flipped into the ditch landing upside down. ditch was huge and had about 3' of water in it, got out fine lost the race but had i kept her on all 4 woulda won. I was 18 towed the truck home with my buddys dads tractor and put a new cab on n back to business. Hes gonna get you off the line but ur tranny shifts like a son of a gun. Get off the line keeper pinned an d straight should be a good race.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:51 PM
rdunagan
Posting Guru
i use it on the strip but thats maybe twice a year. and i dont race it but maybe 3 times like that. not good for the hubs and inexpirence with it will smash the hubs to pieces which is why i said it but JD i do agree

Old 05-04-2011, 04:53 PM
rdunagan
Posting Guru
i would never stack chips either. super bad idea. not trying to be mean fordfinatic but your asking for blown head gaskets if your doing that

Old 05-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Fordnatic68
Senior User
Ive hadem stacked fer almost 2 yrs now, Ive hit 44psi boost. Im trying to blow this engine up so I have an excuse to rebuild it, it wont die!! Before I lifted it I raced a 2000+ vette on Channel parkway, he got me off the lite and ate black smoke til the end. I wanna pull the lift and race a Dirtymax 15 min from here that thinks hes the fastest guy around well is I wont race this high up. I dunno I got one that was clearly built on a monday. Born 12/02

Old 05-04-2011, 05:16 PM
rdunagan
Posting Guru
not wishing bad luck on ya but good luck! glad you got the lucky one. wish i had that kinda luck!!

Old 05-04-2011, 05:25 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by rdunagan
i use it on the strip but thats maybe twice a year. and i dont race it but maybe 3 times like that. not good for the hubs and inexpirence with it will smash the hubs to pieces which is why i said it but JD i do agree
I don't think I've ever heard of a hub failure because of boosted launches. They're tough. Run in 4 HI.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Fordnatic68
Senior User
Dont get me wrong Ive had my issues with her but not til 150,000 miles and sitting for 8 months. First was hpop, then icp,ipr,waterpump, oil cooler, turbo and now a vref short somewhere in my harness. People bash the 6.0 especially the early ones? Man I got a good one. I have a 57 Merc stepside that Im building for the track and am considering a 6.0 for it. I drive my truck hard, work it hard and its been great only left me on the side of the road once thats why I chose to spend a retarded amount of money on it as opposed to buying a new one. These engines have alot more potential than most realize, I know Ill be doin a tranny sometime in the near future but 8.5 years later its still workin the way it was meant to no slippage nothin. My brother is a Dodge guy has an 05 all chipped n modded w tranny etc beat him by 3 truck lengths. Were both experienced drivers hes 40 im 43 n both goin on 19 hahaha

Old 05-04-2011, 05:27 PM
Fordnatic68
Senior User
Ya i think the hubs will be fine for awhile, if ur racin all the time you might wanna remove and inspect and re pack regularly.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:30 PM
rdunagan
Posting Guru
i know what ya mean! i cant stand dodge but anyways thats another matter. trannies are strong in these trucks. the motors have tons of potential but you have to work it right to achieve that. glad you got a good one! i got a good one too but still had to do gaskets and one head but has never left me stranded. overheating and all she kept goin.

i have heard of a few that have been torn up because of this. also its super hard on the transfer case and those are pricey to replace. not worth the risk of doing all the time for me

Old 05-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Fordnatic68
Senior User
Even when I did my oil cooler wasnt due to breakdown i was doin egr delete and decide to do it. was get temp spreads of 70+ deg and more on hills. If this thing does ever blow Ill have to pick up parts from all over the parkin lot. Shes a screamer.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:16 PM
V10haulin'
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
still havent raced... its been dry so we have been workin ground and plantin. maybe this weekend we will. i launched the 6.0 at about 3/4 of what i could have and i had them broke loose for probably two or three seconds... 4WD?

Old 05-06-2011, 01:40 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
By all means use 4x4 if you are going to do a boosted launch.....

at the strip, about 20 feet back after you turn straight toward the start line, put it into 4x4 HI and roll forward....(it has to roll a bit before it engages fully)

pre stage early (one light only)
wait for other lane to move up and pre stage....

stand on the brakes, start building rpm's to 1000 or 1500
(don't do this for long !)
after other lites both lites and is ready to go, stand on the brakes and build rpms up to whatever you practiced (1500 to 2000 is as far as I can go before the rears break loose !)

ease off brake and stand back on it so it allows it to roll forward into the second lite...
build rpms but stop before it starts to move... (you will have to test your truck to figure out what rpm this is at - again only hold for a bit)

as tree lites start coming down, floor it while still standing on brakes and at the second to last or last light dump the brakes.... (again YRMV ) so practice to see how you and your trucks reaction is...

If you SEE the last light, you waited too long!
now hang on and point it !!!

(oh before trying all this, make sure your cubby hole, cup holders, etc are empty or it will end up way in the back !!!)

NOT that I've tried any of this... but I just heard

ACK - just noticed your login is V10 ---- do u have a v10 or a 6.oh ?
these boosted launch steps are not the best way for a v10 - but some of it applies...

Quick Reply: Racing a 6.0 vs. modded 7.3... input PLEASE!!!