6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Onboard air, airbags, horns - complete

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 04:29 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ngng
Any issues keeping the compressor out in the open? I read you should keep it protected from water, splash ,etc.
just take the intake remote.. I followed Monty (golfmedik) and put the intake behind the rear seat.. punched a hole in the rubber grommet.

tons of these compressors have been out in the elements for a long time.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:15 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have been mounting my viair compressors under the cab since 2008. Never once had any problems but I only drive in the salt belt a half dozen times/year.

My current set up is the same shocker horns you have and the viair 10009 kit (2 compressors). This truck is my first long bed and I was able to mount both compressors directly above the drive shaft just aft of the carrier bearing, perfect spot and it appears that it stays dry up there. Still looks brand new.

My four shocker horns are mounted to the under side of the bed floor just in front of the right rear wheel well. They appear to be dry as well.

Have fun!

Old 01-24-2015, 09:19 PM
ngng
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ruschejj
I have been mounting my viair compressors under the cab since 2008. Never once had any problems but I only drive in the salt belt a half dozen times/year.

My current set up is the same shocker horns you have and the viair 10009 kit (2 compressors). This truck is my first long bed and I was able to mount both compressors directly above the drive shaft just aft of the carrier bearing, perfect spot and it appears that it stays dry up there. Still looks brand new.

My four shocker horns are mounted to the under side of the bed floor just in front of the right rear wheel well. They appear to be dry as well.

Have fun!
That makes me feel better, thank you! What are all your thoughts on drilling into the frame? I'll probably just end up fabbing some brackets to clamp everything to the frame vs drilling through it.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:32 PM
cabindoc
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I have my tank and compressor mounted in the bed and the train horns behind right front tire and the line keeps freezing and splitting. Currently do not have air/water separator but planning on installing one tomorrow. Will this reduce the water in the lines enough?

Old 01-25-2015, 09:02 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Depends on the water source? Any chance that water is entering the horn from the front as you drive?

I'm sure the dryer will help and I always feel like I've done a half azzed job on my system since I don't have one but I've never had lines split either. On my 2008 truck I couldn't use the compressor because the air lines would freeze, but they never split.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:34 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
That makes me feel better, thank you! What are all your thoughts on drilling into the frame? I'll probably just end up fabbing some brackets to clamp everything to the frame vs drilling through it.
I mounted mine directly to the frame on my '11. Cost me a few drill bits and it was a pain. When I re-mount on my '14 I'll go with the brackets that golfmedik used here...https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...d-love-it.html

Old 02-08-2015, 06:18 PM
ngng
Elder User
I need to run three air lines in to the cab: one for the air tank gauge, and one for each airbag. My first guess was all three through the driver side firewall where the pass through connectors are. Anything better?

Old 02-08-2015, 07:28 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
I need to run three air lines in to the cab: one for the air tank gauge, and one for each airbag. My first guess was all three through the driver side firewall where the pass through connectors are. Anything better?
I bring them up through a rubber grommet that is under the carpet and it's kind of in front of where your heel sits if you were to use your left foot for braking.

The air lines pass thru there and lay flat under the carpet, go up the firewall behind the brake/throttle pedals and across into the storage pocket by your right knee.

In the past I have run the air lines thru the rubber seal that surrounds the steering shaft also.

I've never gone high enough with them to reach that pass thru wire bundle.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:53 PM
ngng
Elder User
I bring them up through a rubber grommet that is under the carpet and it's kind of in front of where your heel sits if you were to use your left foot for braking.

The air lines pass thru there and lay flat under the carpet, go up the firewall behind the brake/throttle pedals and across into the storage pocket by your right knee.

In the past I have run the air lines thru the rubber seal that surrounds the steering shaft also.

I've never gone high enough with them to reach that pass thru wire bundle.
Thanks, I'll check this out tomorrow! What did you end up doing with your air horns? 1/4 off the air tank to 1/2? Then a 1/2 manifold with 1/4 ports for other accessories?

Old 02-09-2015, 10:02 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
There is a 1/2" air line run from my tank to the manifold/electric switch. From the switch manifold there are 5/16" lines going to the four horns.

I will need to confirm the 5/16", it's the size that hornblasters used.

I tried to change the size and fittings but I couldn't find any parts that would match properly. The solution was actually simple, my local fastenal store just happened to have the 5/16" tubing. Only place I've been able to source the stuff.

Old 02-13-2015, 05:37 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
There is a 1/2" air line run from my tank to the manifold/electric switch. From the switch manifold there are 5/16" lines going to the four horns.

I will need to confirm the 5/16", it's the size that hornblasters used.

I tried to change the size and fittings but I couldn't find any parts that would match properly. The solution was actually simple, my local fastenal store just happened to have the 5/16" tubing. Only place I've been able to source the stuff.
I have been getting most of all my fittings and sire hose from Michigan Truck Springs.

All kinds of oddball air PTC fittings.
What I can't find there I have been able to get either on Amazon or ebay.

Suspension Parts - TruckSpring.com

Old 03-31-2015, 10:58 AM
93-331-29PSI
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got my viair kit yesterday and looking it over it seems that the designers had the Ford super duty in mind when they made this kit. I am not a fan of drilling holes in frames or using the "pinch" method of mounting so if I "frame mount" this kit I either need to build my own brackets to use pre-existing holes or abandon the frame idea and use the body. I done some looking underneath and got an idea but want to get some input before I proceed .....

I got the compressor bracket as well as the complete kit and the pre-drilled holes (bracket and tank) are a damn near perfect match to the pre-existing holes in the body where the side steps would mount. Seeing that I have no side steps (nor will I ever) I think this would be the perfect location for an onboard air system? Granted if I get t-boned it'll destroy it, but if that happens I think a $350 air system is the least of my worries.

Is there any reason not to body mount this kit?

Old 03-31-2015, 01:07 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by 93-331-29PSI
I got my viair kit yesterday and looking it over it seems that the designers had the Ford super duty in mind when they made this kit. I am not a fan of drilling holes in frames or using the "pinch" method of mounting so if I "frame mount" this kit I either need to build my own brackets to use pre-existing holes or abandon the frame idea and use the body. I done some looking underneath and got an idea but want to get some input before I proceed .....

I got the compressor bracket as well as the complete kit and the pre-drilled holes (bracket and tank) are a damn near perfect match to the pre-existing holes in the body where the side steps would mount. Seeing that I have no side steps (nor will I ever) I think this would be the perfect location for an onboard air system? Granted if I get t-boned it'll destroy it, but if that happens I think a $350 air system is the least of my worries.

Is there any reason not to body mount this kit?

A LOT more noise in the cab. I had mine mounted to the body for a short time.. couldn't take it..

Old 03-31-2015, 01:25 PM
93-331-29PSI
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sdetweil
A LOT more noise in the cab. I had mine mounted to the body for a short time.. couldn't take it..
And this is exactly why I asked.... the noise factor never crossed my mind. Thanks a ton!

Old 03-31-2015, 01:36 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by 93-331-29PSI
And this is exactly why I asked.... the noise factor never crossed my mind. Thanks a ton!
I created my own isolators, when I moved the compressor to the chassis
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post15154636

Quick Reply: Onboard air, airbags, horns - complete