2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 04:56 PM
Wils_e
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas Mileage

Background (optional read)
I realized how most of the info i wrote in the first 3 paragraphs wasnt really all that usefull info.

Well i should start out by saying that i've never been one to mod any car/truck very much, I do know how engines work, I know the basics, however, I wouldn't be called a "Truck" guy by any strech of the word. In my field I know quite a bit about engines, but none of them are actually on a truck, they spin pumps n' such.

A few years ago i had leased a 2007 Chevy Silverado, and I loved the truck. The only thing i ever did to it was put a new muffler on it to give it a slightly more agressive sound to it without being annoying to everyone else who doesnt give a damn about trucks. Eventually the Lease ran out and they wanted more for it then it was worth, so obviously i just gave it back.

I have never been a fanboy of any particular truck make. I drove a chev because that particular truck was a good deal at the time. I do have to say that I thought it was a nice truck to drive, and never gave me any problems. Then again, no truck that is under 3 years old should ever give any problems. However, i really liked the look of the fords inside and out, so i decided to give Ford a chance, and began looking for months for a newer used Ford truck.

Actual Question/Problem

Anyways long story short, I drive a 2008 Ford F-150 FX4 5.4L V8 Truck now, and I am really happy with it so far except for a couple of things. I noticed the engine has slightly less power then the chev when driving at highway speeds (To pass people). Which would have been fine(For me personally) if it also got better gas mileage then the Chev. It however does not, and gets 5-6 MPG(Highway) less! then the Chev did.

I was talking to a Ford enthusiast that i work with and he said viechles, Not just Ford, but all makes, Have size restrictions in their intake, tuneing, exhausts that give them less power and gas mileage then they potientially could get.

My question is Firstly,

Is this correct? Can I spend a few bucks on a Tuner, Intake and exhaust and gain 5 mpg? In my eyes this would be a no-brainer. The fuel savings would more then make up the price of the items over time.

Second Question,

If this is Correct, what the hell is Ford doing? Why wouldnt they spend a bit more on their production and have a truck that has more power and mileage then anything else on the market? Doing something that costs us $1000-$2500, they could do for half the price or less due to mass quantity. It is this alone that makes me question the advice that i recieved, as i couldnt see a manufacturer saving a couple bucks on production and not having perhaps one of the biggest selling features on the market with todays high oil prices. At the very least have it as an option, you could pass the cost right to the consumer, I would imagine a lot of people would do it if you could price it slightly less then aftermarket cost.

Thank you,

As I just finished reading my own post, it occured to me that in 2009 - 2011 perhaps they have made some improvements in this reguard, I know the new 2011 commericals brag about 30 mpg, but they are also listing 2wd truck mileage...

Forgive me for the weird forum post format..
<!-- / message -->
<!-- controls -->

Old 04-26-2011, 08:36 PM
Oldguy4
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, it's not correct. I just read an article reciently, I think it was in Trailer Life magazine, that said a few hundred dollers spent on up-grades might produce 1/2 a mile per gallon for each up-grade. I don't remember the numbers exactly, so don't quote me on that, but you get the jist of it. You don't say what engine and final gear ratio was in your Chevy and what engine and gear ratio is in you present Ford. But I find a 5 mpg difference quite indredable.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:05 PM
Fox Fader
Senior User
Originally Posted by Wils_e
Why wouldnt they spend a bit more on their production and have a truck that has more power and mileage then anything else on the market?
Ford has. It's the Ecoboost with 420 ft lbs tq, up to 22mpg hwy.

I know the new 2011 commericals brag about 30 mpg, but they are also listing 2wd truck mileage...

Forgive me for the weird forum post format..
<!-- / message -->
<!-- controls -->
You mean 20mpg. The 3.7 is estimated at 23 hwy,

Old 04-27-2011, 07:20 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Having just installed a tuner alone keeping my stock intake and stock exhaust, I can honestly say that as with anything, your driving habits are the ONLY way to increase mileage.
The custom tunes I got from 5 Star are awesome, but I have to constantly remind myself to keep my foot out of it. So far with more low end torque, better transmission and TQ lockup schedules, and my improved driving habits, I have netted between 1-2mpg on 87 octane.
5-6mpg increase is a pipe dream. Remember that the Chevy is a lighter truck. If you really want to increase mileage...drive smarter, remove every ounce of weight from the truck, and keep up on regular maintenance.
And remember, the $1500 or so that you'll spend on a tuner, intake, exhaust will buy a lot of gas.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:25 PM
Wils_e
New User
Originally Posted by MCDavis
If you really want to increase mileage...drive smarter, remove every ounce of weight from the truck, and keep up on regular maintenance.
And remember, the $1500 or so that you'll spend on a tuner, intake, exhaust will buy a lot of gas.

Good point.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:58 PM
2004 xlt 5.4
Senior User
But getting a Tuner will improve power and make it more responsive when passing as that was one of his concerns
Try a tuner you will be very happy

Old 04-27-2011, 11:41 PM
Wils_e
New User
Originally Posted by 2004 xlt 5.4
But getting a Tuner will improve power and make it more responsive when passing as that was one of his concerns
Try a tuner you will be very happy

I already ordered one actually, just waiting for it to arrive

Old 04-28-2011, 05:19 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I already ordered one actually, just waiting for it to arrive
Spill the beans.
Which tuner did you get?

Old 04-28-2011, 05:38 AM
n5926g
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MCDavis
Having just installed a tuner alone keeping my stock intake and stock exhaust, I can honestly say that as with anything, your driving habits are the ONLY way to increase mileage.
The custom tunes I got from 5 Star are awesome, but I have to constantly remind myself to keep my foot out of it. So far with more low end torque, better transmission and TQ lockup schedules, and my improved driving habits, I have netted between 1-2mpg on 87 octane.
5-6mpg increase is a pipe dream. Remember that the Chevy is a lighter truck. If you really want to increase mileage...drive smarter, remove every ounce of weight from the truck, and keep up on regular maintenance.
I bought a ScangageII from A/Z for my 07 with the 4.2.Granted,I get fairly good mileage anyway,but it displays quite a number of paramaters including Avg Miles per trip,and(real time) actual fuel economy.Its amazing what a slightly lighter gas pedal pressure will do.I suggest looking into one,While I do NOT work for A/Z,its one of the best purchases I have made for my truck.Paid for itself in the first month.