1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

OT: need help with ignition switch for my festiva

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 10:45 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
OT: need help with ignition switch for my festiva

I've got a 90 festiva I use to drive around town, it makes 30mpg in our little town never getting over 30mph. I broke the only key we had off and am in the process of fixing it. We have 2 spare festiva cars for parts, and I looked on the net for advice how to remove the switch. The last step was to remove the set screw to get it out, I can't for the life of me find a set screw. I even tore the whole column out of a spare car to look closer, no screw. Anyone know how to get the switch out of there? I guess I can take and switch the whole column or just hotwire a switch and starter button, but really would just like to change the switch. I do know I can't afford to be driving my 76 around much more, makes about a fourth of the mileage. Festiva=nice weather car. 76=winter snow truck.

Ideas?

Old 04-24-2011, 03:20 PM
clean '97
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sometimes those key cylinders are held in by a spring loaded pin,they are usually located
on the side and rear of the key cylinder.if you look at the column you should be able to find a small circular hole that you can push in with a real tiny screwdriver,small allen key,or small drill bit and that should allow you to release the key cylinder.I'm not really familiar with the festivas,but it could be worth a shot.good luck,i know those add on hot wire switches and starter buttons are so ghetto,but for the fuel you are saving who cares.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:33 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Hey, that makes some sense. There are a couple real tiny holes on it, with what looked like a real small square something or another in the holes, one on top and one on the side iirc. I'll have to try that. I kind of pissed with them a little, but not too serious about it. I forgot I can't do the hotwire either, unless I can figure out another way to unlock the steering wheel.

Thanks a lot John.